Site Search - Results open inside inline frame???

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
LJLachance

Site Search - Results open inside inline frame???

Post by LJLachance » Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 pm

I have a search icon in the header of each of my multiple pages. When it is clicked, it takes you to a "search page".

Once on the search page - I have implemented the built-in "site search" extension set to display the results in an "inline frame" on the same page below the search box.

This is all good and it works fine. The issue I'm having is when you click on one of the results found, the link opens inside the inline frame. I want the link to take you to the page in the same browser window, leaving the search page behind. If a user wants to do a new search, they can click the search link again. How do I make whatever links appear in the search result - not open in the inline frame? This is an issue because once clicked, i have two pages in the same page??

Second part - IF i tell the search to display the results "on another page", in settings I can only choose the "other" page. That too is good, except I can't figure out how to get the results into either an inline frame OR a layout grid ON the other page. I suspect the link issue described above will be the same.

Can you offer some direction or let me know if there is a third party search I can use that is not database driven? I've read the manual and searched on line but can't seem to find anyone with the same link display issue.

If you need to try it, please visit http://206.214.218.15/search.php. Search for Lawrence and click on any link - it opens in the inline frame.

Thanks

Larry

Pablo

Re: Site Search - Results open inside inline frame???

Post by Pablo » Thu May 10, 2018 6:11 pm

You can set the target for links in the search results here:

Note that instead of using an inline frame you can also use a layer or layout grid column as result target:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/sitesearch.html

LJLachance

Post by LJLachance » Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Thank you very much - that solves the problem of links opening within themselves. So if i want the results to be displayed on a separate page, I can select the page, that's easy but what do I need to do to have the results display in a layout grid on that separate page?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Thu May 10, 2018 8:47 pm

but what do I need to do to have the results display in a layout grid on that separate page?
That is not possible, you cannot target objects on another page.

LJLachance

Post by LJLachance » Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi Pablo,

I did manage (it took a while) to get it to work the way I want - One page is my "Search" page and the second page is my "Search Results" page.

First, I followed your instruction as to where I set the link properties from this thread and how to get the results into a layout grid, then I found this:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... ch#p395607

Following the instructions found here, I was able to get this to work - except - for it to work properly (when the user clicks on a search result) I had to set the "site search" properties on both pages to target '_blank'. Works like a champ. You may use the same link previously provided to see it in action - it should be there for another 4-5 days.

Thanks for the input - hope this helps someone down the road.

Larry