Publishing a single file (not a page) via Site Manager

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
dave1066

Publishing a single file (not a page) via Site Manager

Post by dave1066 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:53 pm

I have dragged a jpg from a windows explorer window into the Site Manager pane of WYSIWYG, then moved it to an appropriate (pre-existing) folder.
The jpg file then shows up in the Site Manager, but is not referenced by any web page (yet).

How do I upload that one jpg file only without having to publish the 'Entire Web Site' and 'Publish all files'?

I can easily do this using an external FTP client but the WYSIWYG Site Manager won't know about the file, so the ftp process needs to originate within WYSIWYG.

I'm doing this as I want to host a few images (for my geocaching listings for example) on my own web space, without having to add those images to a web page in WYSIWYG (which I noticed when done they get uploaded). I will be eventually using some of these images within pages within my site, but not yet.

So, I can upload an image file via the Site Manager in WYSIWYG but it takes time as the entire site and all files need uploading, just for one file!

Is there an option in WYSIWYG to upload a single file (not a page, e.g. jpg, not html)?

Any help, thoughts much appreciated! :-)

Pablo

Re: Publishing a single file (not a page) via Site Manager

Post by Pablo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 pm

The Site Manager is meant for pages only, not for images.

If you want to upload images to the server then you can use the built-in FTP manager (via 'Explore' in the publish settings).

dave1066

Post by dave1066 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Quick reply! Thank you Pablo :D

I spotted the 'Explore' in the publish settings (I've spent quite a while reading the forum and FAQs). Yes, that does indeed upload the file but that isn't my issue. I have used FTP Voyager (for years, even bought it when it costs, but it's now free - go figure!), so my natural route for publishing (or transferring between hosts) any file would a FTP client like Voyager - although it is nice that function is built into WYSIWYG :)

If I do upload a file from 'Explore' in the publish settings then the Site Manager doesn't show it there (I guess Site Manger is using a local copy of the site for reference to the website content and hence doesn't sync with the content of the hosted space).

I would like Site Manager to know about the file and/or show it, so that I can reference it internal to WYSIWYG.

I do appreciate that the Site Manager is for pages only, but I have already uploaded several images via Site Manager by dragging them in then doing an 'all files', 'entire website' publish. The files gets uploaded and are shown in the Site Manager. It's just that it's a rather cumbersome way having to upload the entire site for the sake of uploading a single file.

Any further thoughts? Thanks!

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:35 am

I'm sorry, but the Site Manager is not designed to be used this way.
If you want to link to files from within your project then you can use 'link to file'. This will also upload the file.