Rotated objects on layers

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
Windjam

Rotated objects on layers

Post by Windjam » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Dear Pablo

I am not sure if this is a limitation (could not find anything on help files and forum) or a bug, so I bring it to your attention.

When you rotate an object on a layer and the object is near the edge of the layer, things start to go wrong. (See example I have sent).

http://www.kv07.com/pablo/Rotate.rar

Try making the layer longer. It kind of locks up.
Moving the layer is also erratic.
If you make a copy of the same rectangle, rotate it 90 degrees and place it close to the right edge of the layer, the layer automatically resizes itself as if the object was not rotated.

It appears to me when objects (the same happens with plain text) are rotated, their physical boundaries remain unchanged therefore falling outside of the layer boundary and create these issues.

It would be very nice if it could be made to work somehow as it is a very useful feature.

One last little niggle, when I updated to ver 12.5.1, every time I start WB its telling me a new version is available, the installed ver is displayed as 12...5
Not sure if its only on my PC or others also have it.

Many thanks
Kevork V

Pablo

Re: Rotated objects on layers

Post by Pablo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:03 pm

When you rotate an object then it needs more space around the edges. The object will become larger.
If the object is too close to the edge of a layer (or the page) then the object will get a negative coordinates. This may result in undefined behavior. it is very difficult to implement a workaround for this because the layer does not know about child elements being rotated.
It would take a lot of code to prevent this and that may impact the performance. I do not think that many users use this option, so I'm not sure if this is worth the 'sacrifice'.
One last little niggle, when I updated to ver 12.5.1, every time I start WB its telling me a new version is available, the installed ver is displayed as 12...5
Are you using the 64 bit version? If yes, then this is a known issue which will be fixed in a later update.

Windjam

Post by Windjam » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:13 pm

No, I can't imagine many people need this, I have found a clumsy workaround and it's good enough for the occasions I need it.

Many thanks

kevork

Windjam

Post by Windjam » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

I found a very fast and elegant solution to creating rotated text without any issues and in the process discovered either what is a bug, or limitation.

By creating a rectangle shape in the desired orientation, placing the rotated text on it then merging, the resulting new object ( which now display the rotated text) does not create any issues no matter where it is placed. Its a good enough method for those few occasion where rotated text ( or anything else ) is needed.

One small problem I discovered is that object cannot be merged when they are on a layer. I have to put them on blank canvas, merge and then drag them back on the layer. It that how it works, or is there another way ?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

The merge option was designed to merge multiple images. If you try to merge with a layer then that layer will be converted to an image and it will loose all its layer functionality...

Windjam

Post by Windjam » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:33 pm

I am sorry, perhaps I should clarify.

I am not merging WITH a layer.
When i try to merge several objects selected while ON a layer, the merge function does not work

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm sorry, but this feature was not designed to be used like this.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 pm

I may have found a workaround for this behavior. It will be implemented in the next update.

Windjam

Post by Windjam » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Thank you very much it will be saving a lot of time

Kevork V.