Master Page Issue with Chrome

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
gofrank

Master Page Issue with Chrome

Post by gofrank »

In revising a client's web site, I've switched to using a master page. One of the pages on the development version of the site has an HTML object containing third-party scripting. The script (from Demand Force) calls an appointment form. Everything works fine in Firefox and Edge(!), but in Chrome, a second copy of the master page sometimes gets embedded inside the HTML object (simulating a page within a page).

The link is http://www.muttleecrewpc.com/mc/muttlee ... tment.html and here is how to reproduce the issue:

Open the link in Chrome. Once the appointments page is displayed, shrink the width of the browser window to the narrowest Chrome will allow (480px on my machine). Then, click on any of the other links on the site, and then go back to "Appointments". (You might have to repeat these steps several times to finally see the "page within a page" issue appear.) Pressing Ctrl + F5 restores the proper layout.

If I remove the master page from the appointments page and substitute an individual header and footer, the issue does not occur. Is there something that is making Chrome think it needs to supply the master page inside the HTML object?
Billing clients for your freelance work? Try Minute-2-Minute, the project management, timing, and billing system. Perfect for web developers who charge by the hour. FREE 45-day trial.
Pablo

Re: Master Page Issue with Chrome

Post by Pablo »

I was not able to reproduce this behavior.
But I do no think this has anything to do with master pages.

"Master pages' is a design concept. The final page is just a single page (master + content merged).
This page will be the same no matter how many times you open it or which browser you use.

Maybe there is an issue with the cache of your browser?
gofrank

Post by gofrank »

Nope. Cache cleared. Continue to get "page inside page" with Chrome.

Also get the same thing on my Windows 10 laptop.

I'll just drop the master page and go to a dedicated header and footer on that page.

Billing clients for your freelance work? Try Minute-2-Minute, the project management, timing, and billing system. Perfect for web developers who charge by the hour. FREE 45-day trial.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I really have my doubts that this has anything to do with the master page.
It is the third party script that loads the content of the inline frame, WWB has not control over frame.
Maybe the script (or Chrome) gets confused because you did not include the URL prefix (http/https) ?
gofrank

Post by gofrank »

Added the http: prefix as suggested and at first it appeared that resolved the issue. However, after narrowing the Chrome browser and switching back and forth between the appointment page and other pages on the site, the "page-in-page" effect returned. (It took about five or six switches for it to appear.)

Since this issue is appearing only on Chrome, it is probably some quirk with that browser. I can see from the generated code that the header is not repeated within the HTML object, so it is definitely not a WB issue. I do know that removing the master page resolves it, so I'll stick with that solution.

Thanks, Pablo!

UPDATE: Removing the master page header/footer does NOT resolve this. Chrome does it even with a dedicated header/footer (it does sometimes take up to 9 or 10 switches for it to show up). Cannot get it to appear on Firefox or Edge, so this must be an exclusive Chrome issue. Ctrl + F5 restores normal view temporarily. Very strange!