Forms not arriving but only from one source(?)

Issues related to forms.
gasconman

Forms not arriving but only from one source(?)

Post by gasconman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi,

I've had an issue with non-receipt of enquiry and booking form data from a new client. I've submitted test forms to myself from a PC and from two Android devices and they work perfectly.

This particular client uses Apple devices and also her email address is ****@aoL.com

I don't think it can be an Apple issue as we've had guests using Apple devices (and I don't understand how that could be an issue anyway), but AOL is a new one on me. In fact I thought AOL was defunct. Could the non receipt of the form data be something to so with AOL's servers?

Obviously this is worrying as it could mean that we're not receiving enquiries from other people, people who can't be bothered to email us to ask why they've received no reply, like this lady did.

Here is the address of our enquiry form http://www.painting-photography-france. ... y_form.php

Pablo

Re: Forms not arriving but only from one source(?)

Post by Pablo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Please note that the form script does not care which email address you use.
If the email is blocked then this is either on the server side or by the ISP's spam filter.

gasconman

Post by gasconman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Sorry, Pablo, when you say "or by the ISP's spam filter", do you mean the client's ISP or ours? I checked our Gmail spam and there is nothing there from her (and, as I say, my three tests went through as they should).

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:33 pm

do you mean the client's ISP or ours?
The ISP of the destination email address.

The form is processed on the server so it does not matter which browser you use.
However some webhosts block sending emails if the 'from address is not within the current domain.

gasconman

Post by gasconman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:49 pm

So, AOL could be blocking the data and so preventing it from being sent through to our Gmail address because the email to us is generated on our UK2.net server?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Either the server (webhost, the sender of the email) or the the receiver of the email is blocking the email. If you sent the email to gmail.com then not your ISP but gmail is blocking it, but that is very unlikely.

gasconman

Post by gasconman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm sorry Pablo but I still don't understand.

There are four entities involved here.

UK2.net operates the server where my WB website sits in the UK.
Gmail.com is my email host
AOL.com is my customer's email host
British Telecom is my customer's ISP in the UK

When I submit a test form from my website, the data return email is generated from the server at UK2.net and sent to my Gmail account, right? And that works perfectly. So I can't see how UK2.net can be the problem, nor Gmail.

So, does the fault lie with aol.com? Is that what you meant in your earlier reply by, "However some webhosts block sending emails if the 'from address is not within the current domain" ?

If the problem lies with AOL, then I can live with the issue. However, if the fault is being caused by BT then I have a major problem because they have a huge client base in the UK.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm

When I submit a test form from my website, the data return email is generated from the server at UK2.net and sent to my Gmail account, right?
Correct

When does it not work?

lummis

Post by lummis » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Just to reassure you my host is UK2.net and my personal email is BTInternet and I get no problems with my contact form. Unfortunately I can't speak for AOL but I do seem to recall having a problem in the distant past with sending emails to that address.

Navaldesign

Post by Navaldesign » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Some hosting companies will disallow emails sent through forms if the "from" email address is a aol, Hotmail, yahoo email address.
To test it, temporarily rename the "email" field to something else, in example "e-mail" and then test through the @aol email address. The script will use the admin email address as "from" so if you receive the mail it means that the hosting company blocks these particular email addresses that I mentioned above.
www.dbtechnosystems.com

gasconman

Post by gasconman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:41 am

OK, thanks Pablo, lummis and Navaldesign; your help is much appreciated. It's definitely an AOL issue, so I'm going to create a note to ask AOL users to email us directly and not use the forms (probably bring up a screen prior to the form loading)