Changing the inner part of a form

Issues related to forms.
IanRob

Changing the inner part of a form

Post by IanRob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:46 am

Hi

I am using a form for the front end of a quiz

Because Webuilder requires buttons on forms (rather than on the page), that is giving me a problem that I would appreciate advice on.

Different types of quiz questions need different layouts for the middle part of the form.

Previously, when I was using buttons on the page, I had intended dealing with that problem by using an iframe. However, now that I am using a form, you cannot have forms within a form (which would be a simple way of overcoming my problem)

So is there any way of using the facilities of webbuilder to manage a set of different “inner forms” for the quiz form?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this

Pablo

Re: Changing the inner part of a form

Post by Pablo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:24 am

Because Webuilder requires buttons on forms (rather than on the page)
This has nothing to do wit WWB, this is a standard HTML functionality.
By default a button does nothing unless it's part of a form.
If you implement your own script then the button can be anywhere you like.
So is there any way of using the facilities of webbuilder to manage a set of different “inner forms” for the quiz form?
Forms cannot be nested. This is a HTML limitation. Also, nesting forms does not make any sense. Only one form can be processed anyway.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 am

Pablo I am going to also reply to this as it was myself that said button(s) are meant to be used on a form without implying anything else...
Because Webuilder requires buttons on forms (rather than on the page), that is giving me a problem that I would appreciate advice on.
It's not just a requirement of WWB, buttons were designed and generally meant be used with forms it's is part of HTML as the example urls previously given show. You can still use buttons if you wish, the point being made is they are meant to be used on forms.

Your requirements don't need them to be part of a form as the script is custom coded either by yourself or third party and allow button(s) to be used as you wish. As it is custom it is understood you will then know how to implement the buttons yourself as required by the script...

You can still use iframes if needed to display what you need, but if it requires the likes a a javascript call
after onclick of a button you will need to implement this yourself.

As Pablo answer Forms cannot be nested again not a limitation of WWB but HTML itself...

Please also note WWB is not a HTML Editor or a programming tool to write custom code as you require it is a HTML Generator a visual design program. With this said you can still implement js/jquery/css yourself with the likes of the HTML Object/Page HTML and the File Publisher for any external files but when using it is understood you know how to use this yourself.

IanRob

Post by IanRob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi BaconFries

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yes, I do have a third party doing the javascript.

I have given him clear instructions that all transfers between the script and the html screen I develop with WB14 is by "value" of the element. So the problem arose when I wanted word wrap on a button and Pablo kindly suggested that I use advance button. That does not appear to display value, but creates a div which displays text. So my javascript did not work any more.

However, it is not a problem anymore, because I am using an input button with a (custom) style of white-space: normal;. That seems to solves my problem of word wrap and displays the button value. And yes, I am aware that WB14 support does not include support for that custom code.

Thank you for clarifying your comments on forms. I had assumed you were implying this was a WB14 restriction. I apologise for the misunderstanding

Thank you both again for your assistance