Webfonts And Performance

Do you want to share WYSIWYG Web Builder tips, tricks, tutorials or useful HTML code? You can post it here...
(no questions or problems please, this section is not monitored by support).
Forum rules
This section is to share tips, tricks and tutorials related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Please do not post questions or problems here. They will not be answered.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
Bluesman

Webfonts And Performance

Post by Bluesman »

Just wanted to share this video "scroll down a little" on the target page. Very nice from "SmashingConf". For both newbies and experienced users to get some light of this subject... both historical, at the precent and for the future.
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/0 ... ernews.com
"Make My Day"

See my Website
Bluesman

Re: What Are Web Safe Fonts?

Post by Bluesman »

What Are Web Safe Fonts?
All operating systems (windows, mac, android, ios, etc.) comes with a certain amount of built-in fonts. The problem is different OSes might have different typefaces installed on their systems.
This is where Web Safe fonts come in.
Web Safe fonts are basically font styles that are shared and viewable on all platforms and various systems.

Why Are Web Safe Fonts Important?
“What you see is what you get” when it comes to print but on the Web, what you see on your screen might not exactly be the same for someone else’s screen.
Here’s an example, let’s say the designer you’ve hired decides to use a really fancy and obscure font family for your site’s text design. If a visitor does not have the specific font installed on their computer or it’s not pulling from a web-friendly place, then all they will see a default font variation like Times New Roman.
You might have a beautifully designed site with awesome looking fonts, it’ll still look plain and ugly if it can’t load for your visitors.
Having these Web Safe font means you won’t have to worry about your texts looking weird just because you chose a font that no one has access to.
"Make My Day"

See my Website
Bluesman

Re: Really Web Safe Fonts

Post by Bluesman »

1. Arial; plain, italic, bold, bold italic
2. Helvetica; plain, italic, bold, bold italic
3. Times New Roman; plain, italic, bold, bold italic
4. Times; plain, italic, bold, bold italic
5. Trebuchet MS; plain, italic, bold, bold italic
6. Verdana; plain, italic, bold, bold italic
7. Arial Black; plain, italic
8. Courier; plain, italic, bold, bold italic
9. Courier New; plain, italic, bold, bold italic
10. Georgia; plain, italic, bold, bold italic

If you use other fonts than above that you think are "websafe"? Check carefully!
You probably still have to use "Google Fonts" or "@font-face fonts" for having correct performance in all visitors OS.
"Make My Day"

See my Website