Basic Paypal - No Shipping Address on File

This forum is dedicated to discussions about shopping carts/ecommerce.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
ColinM

Basic Paypal - No Shipping Address on File

Post by ColinM »

I have a eCommerce client using Paypal standard for online purchases.

I tested the site before going live and the Paypal function worked fine.

Now my Client has approached me advising that a customer has paid and:

a) There is no delivery address in the email my Client received (confirmed - Client forwarded to me)

b) Upon checking the Client's Paypal transactions I can see the transaction but there is a we have no shipping address on file statement.

To me, this would suggest that my Client's customer has paid via a Paypal Account because if paying by just a credit or debit card, Paypal prompts for an address.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

In the WB Add to Cart Button - Shipping - should I have Require Shipping Information checked ?

(I attempted to FTP a test page but am having WB FTP Issues - Reported here )
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Pablo

Re: Basic Paypal - No Shipping Address on File

Post by Pablo »

When the option 'Require Shipping Information' is checked the customer is prompted to include a shipping address (according to the PayPal documentation).
I have just tested this myself and this seems to be working.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

support wrote:When the option 'Require Shipping Information' is checked the customer is prompted to include a shipping address (according to the PayPal documentation).
I have just tested this myself and this seems to be working.
Cheers Pablo - now that I have FTP back :D - I'll check that out. I rang Paypal (only 7 IVR layers :roll: ) and they advised that I had to lodge a technical support ticket which I have - will be interesting what they say from their side.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Yup, Correct Pablo 8)

I've found that with the Paypal Simple product, if a person pays by Debit or Credit Card, then you are prompted to put in an address, whereas, if paying by a Paypal Account, it takes the address from any verified card attached to that account, and I believe that Paypal no longer checks for verified cards so if no address is registered, then no address is passed through the PayPal gateway and the No shipping address on file message is shown in the respective order in the Merchant's (Client's) Paypal account.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Maybe there is a setting in the PayPal account that forces customers to enter their address?
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

support wrote:Maybe there is a setting in the PayPal account that forces customers to enter their address?
Yes, good thinking and thanks Pablo! I looked for that, but no there wasn't, and then I google searched and there are a lot of threads on various forums supplied by intermediary cart providers and other tech sites that suggested that PayPal doesn't make addresses for cards compulsory etc, so it "appears" (at this stage - still waiting for feedback from Paypal) that a person can have a Paypal account without a shipping address, hence the title of this thread. But until I get a response from Paypal this is pure conjecture.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia