Cross Browser Marquee Extension (COM/VB6 Based BETA)

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.
zinc

Cross Browser Marquee Extension (COM/VB6 Based BETA)

Post by zinc »

============================
Cross Browser Marquee 0.0.2 Updated
============================

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE NEW VERSION AND UNINSTALL and REINSTALL THE NEW VERSION

This is a nifty cross-browser marquee with added features, such as configurable speed, background color, and option to pause scroller onmouse over.

This is my first attempt at making an extension NOT using Pablo's wonderful EXB.!!!

This extension was made with Microsoft Visual Basic 6 using Pablo's new COM based technology, so it is slightly different to legacy extensions.

Please note, you need to install the extension.

If you are using anything below XP, please ensure you also install VB6 runtime files. (You can get it from here http://tinyurl.com/yr37v3)

There are some issues with the extension, Please refer to its PDF file. Please let me know if you have issues with it.

I have tried to keep it the same as the legacy extensions and let me tell you, thank god Pablo has made EXB as it is not that simple to use anything else to make an extension, however I have had my fair share of fun and coffee :wink:

I would like to thank Pablo for listening to us and making this happen, I tell you it has been 2 years since I did any coding in VB6 so it was great getting back to it.

Once again apologies for the simplicity of this extension but it is merely an exercise and hopefully more powerful things are to come....

===============
Demo
===============

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee.htm

===============
History
===============

03.10.2009 (Version 0.0.1)
Initial Release

04.10.2009 (Version 0.0.2)
Fixed a bug where the marquee was not showing in IE/Chrome

===============
Download
===============

http://www.mediafire.com/?ucg01md0dkn
Last edited by zinc on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Neil, I tried to install it..the software is picking up the default install folder as : C:\Program Files\C:\Program Files\WYSIWYG Web Builder 6 instead of C:\Program Files\WYSIWYG Web Builder 6 I had to delete the first part C:\Program Files\ to make it install. Reported this if perhaps this is a bug
Check the new Chat GPT and Malware detect extensions at the link below

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
---------------------------------------------------------
www.Lucknowwebs.com
zinc

Post by zinc »

me.prosenjeet wrote:Neil, I tried to install it..the software is picking up the default install folder as : C:\Program Files\C:\Program Files\WYSIWYG Web Builder 6 instead of C:\Program Files\WYSIWYG Web Builder 6 I had to delete the first part C:\Program Files\ to make it install. Reported this if perhaps this is a bug
Thank you ME. Sorted. Silly mistake from my side. Please re-download.
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Neil, was wondering why you have used timyurl (http://tinyurl.com/rlbyg) instead of the link of http://www.dynamicdrive.com in the extension?
and one more question
How to uninstall the thing?

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com
zinc

Post by zinc »

me.prosenjeet wrote:Neil, was wondering why you have used timyurl (http://tinyurl.com/rlbyg) instead of the link of http://www.dynamicdrive.com in the extension?
and one more question
How to uninstall the thing?
Yes I have due to the length of the URL. It would clash with the OK button.

Go to Windows Control Panel and Uninstall like any Windows app. Alternatively I can email you the DLL if you like.
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Is this correct.... I went to uninstall it through "control panel" and this showed to use 75mb!

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com
zinc

Post by zinc »

me.prosenjeet wrote:Is this correct.... I went to uninstall it through "control panel" and this showed to use 75mb!
LOL put it down to a bug with the installer/uninstaller. :wink:

The DLL is 204K!!!!
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Looking great B you got me thinking should I dig out my copy of VB6 and see if I can get my head around it again.... it was a "Love" "Hate" relationship when I had to use it ... Now were did I put it ....
@ Pablo/Support Can the COM Module be used in VB 2005 Express or is VB6 the prefered program... it been a while since I have had to use either
zinc

Post by zinc »

BaconFries wrote:Looking great B you got me thinking should I dig out my copy of VB6 and see if I can get my head around it again.... it was a "Love" "Hate" relationship when I had to use it ... Now were did I put it ....
@ Pablo/Support Can the COM Module be used in VB 2005 Express or is VB6 the prefered program... it been a while since I have had to use either
Cheers BF, I still have a long way to go but the concept is bloody powerful. As usual Pablo has done a great job.

The downside with VB6 is that the DLL needs to be registered (as you know) hence the installer, other wise it crashes WWB as it fails to instantiate the DLL. Also you need VB6 runtime files. I wish I knew C++ :)

But it still gives me pleasure.
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

I was wondering if this extension could not have been built with the usual extension builder!
Couldn't it be built with it? Seems to be a straight forward simple script.

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com
zinc

Post by zinc »

me.prosenjeet wrote:I was wondering if this extension could not have been built with the usual extension builder!
Couldn't it be built with it?
I suggest you read the first entry of this thread which explains the reasons behind it :? . It is not about if it can be built the usual way. I wanted to practice with the new technology, so I chose something simple.

Why don't you try it?
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

No offense Neil but whats the advantage of the new technology here in this extension? Unnecessarily making the "making" more complicated when there is a simple way - Extension builder.
Ya, for practicing it is fine.

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com
zinc

Post by zinc »

me.prosenjeet wrote:No offense Neil but whats the advantage of the new technology here in this extension? Unnecessarily making the "making" more complicated when there is a simple way - Extension builder.
You have to understand I have simply chosen a simple one to do so for the end user it looks simple and somewhat pointless, however once I get to know the ins and outs of it, I will be producing more complicated ones which have more flexiblity. For example the ability to resize a batch of images which currently EXB cannot do but it can be done this way.

An entire image manipulation application can be developed without the need to use 3rd party apps thanks to power of this new technology.

I hope this makes it clear why I have embarked on this method. There are some downsides to this of course, longer development time, but overall it is powerful tool which gives WWB extra "Wings".
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

bendigo wrote:
me.prosenjeet wrote:No offense Neil but whats the advantage of the new technology here in this extension? Unnecessarily making the "making" more complicated when there is a simple way - Extension builder.
You have to understand I have simply chosen a simple one to do so for the end user it looks simple and somewhat pointless, however once I get to know the ins and outs of it, I will be producing more complicated ones which have more flexiblity. For example the ability to resize a batch of images which currently EXB cannot do but it can be done this way.

An entire image manipulation application can be developed without the need to use 3rd party apps thanks to power of this new technology.

I hope this makes it clear why I have embarked on this method. There are some downsides to this of course, longer development time, but overall it is powerful tool which gives WWB extra "Wings".
I understand this dear and I appreciate. I am not ignoring your efforts.

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Hi me it is simply about learning....remember when you first tried extension builder it was about learning no matter how easy or hard it was you simply wanted to learn how it worked so you could provide us with some of the extension that you gave us ....a quote from from one of your old postings.....
me.prosenjeet wrote:Yes I did learn that and 100% credit goes to this forum for that!
zinc

Post by zinc »

ME, there are some cool stuff to come. Watch this space.... :wink:
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

This extension was made with Microsoft Visual Basic 6 using Pablo's new COM based technology, so it is slightly different to legacy extensions.
I take my hat off to you,and I think you can make powerfull extensions with this.
zinc

Post by zinc »

Eddy wrote:
I take my hat off to you,and I think you can make powerfull extensions with this.
Thank you Eddy but the real credit should go to pablo for creating such a well designed application and also honouring the users requests.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Yes I know, but I also know that this is something what looks difficult to learn and withoud users who build extensions with the COM based technology you have nothing. :wink:
zinc

Post by zinc »

It feels like WWB taken out a new dimension. Now there are so many possibilities that I don't where to start! :D
bourin

Post by bourin »

Hello bendigo,

sorry, my english is not good - you wrote into your PDF helpfile for the Extension:

==============
Requirements
==============
WYSIWYG Web Builder 5 or higher

I have checked this and can earliest use the Extension under WWB6, no menue point under WWB5 included. I have same result for my project viewtopic.php?t=22517 with COM / C++ -> earliest running with WWB6.

A question for your Setup.EXE -> you register the COM-Server via regsvr32.exe ... from the command line into the background from your Installer?

My Extension on same COM Interface way is mostly ready

http://www.premega.de/de-02/software_ww ... cpp_de.php

http://translate.google.de/translate?pr ... ry_state0=

Best regards,
MJH-Software
zinc

Post by zinc »

bourin wrote:Hello bendigo,

sorry, my english is not good - you wrote into your PDF helpfile for the Extension:

==============
Requirements
==============
WYSIWYG Web Builder 5 or higher

I have checked this and can earliest use the Extension under WWB6, no menue point under WWB5 included. I have same result for my project viewtopic.php?t=22517 with COM / C++ -> earliest running with WWB6.

A question for your Setup.EXE -> you register the COM-Server via regsvr32.exe ... from the command line into the background from your Installer?

My Extension on same COM Interface way is mostly ready

http://www.premega.de/de-02/software_ww ... cpp_de.php

http://translate.google.de/translate?pr ... ry_state0=

Best regards,
MJH-Software
Hi Mate;

Sorry you are right, It should be 6.1

I do register the DLL via regsvr32, however that is why I have chosen to use the installer as I think not everyone would be comfortable with doing this.

If you need an installer for your work and not sure how to do, I would be happy to build it for you.
bourin

Post by bourin »

@bendigo
bendigo wrote:It feels like WWB taken out a new dimension. Now there are so many possibilities that I don't where to start! :D
Hello Mate,
I see a general new possibility, outside from the "normal" job for the COM based Toolkit.

We have an
InitInstance - called with start from WWB
ExitInstance - called with start from WWB

So we can add any useful additional Tools for the WWB itself, outside from Extension job - for instance an modal dialog for an additional FTB Client, Source Safe Handling, TCPIP-Handling to design a Network WWB version to correspond between WWB's into an Intranet, ...

Best regards,
MJH-Software
zinc

Post by zinc »

bourin wrote:@bendigo
bendigo wrote:It feels like WWB taken out a new dimension. Now there are so many possibilities that I don't where to start! :D
Hello Mate,
I see a general new possibility, outside from the "normal" job for the COM based Toolkit.

We have an
InitInstance - called with start from WWB
ExitInstance - called with start from WWB

So we can add any useful additional Tools for the WWB itself, outside from Extension job - for instance an modal dialog for an additional FTB Client, Source Safe Handling, TCPIP-Handling to design a Network WWB version to correspond between WWB's into an Intranet, ...

Best regards,
MJH-Software
Sounds good, but you have to bear in mind I only know VB6 and that's about it but I can see where this can go. :D
madjamonline

Post by madjamonline »

bendigo wrote:
me.prosenjeet wrote:Is this correct.... I went to uninstall it through "control panel" and this showed to use 75mb!
LOL put it down to a bug with the installer/uninstaller. :wink:

The DLL is 204K!!!!
This is no bug. Windows reports the size of the installation from the directory from where it is installed. It was installed in the WB6 folder, so that means your Wb6 folder is 75mb in total, not just the extension.
bourin

Post by bourin »

@madjamonline
Many thanks for this info. This sense from return value was me unknown.

Best regards,
MJH-Software
professional WWB extensions for tables, MySQL, Excel, e-commerce, measurement, gallery, file uploader, ... - produced from german and thai software engineers
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Sorry if I am missing this, but where is the official marquee extension?

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com