EB some Questions

This section can be used to submit suggestions for Extension Builder.
Note that this section is not monitored for support.
Forum rules
This forum section can be used to submit suggestions for Extension Builder.
Note that this section is not monitored for support.
jordan

EB some Questions

Post by jordan »

hello support,

a few questions …

01. release
is EB4 officially released ?

02. debug
debug for extensions is now inside WB 8.2.0, why, any work/code you do is now public regardless if you want it to
could it please remain inside EB so you can keep the control yourself ?

03. file reference
could EB4 have the ability to add your own file reference in the same style as the jQuery files structure
so a file reference appears just ones per extension added if needed – could I add my own file reference to that jQuery list ?
I do this already by editing the .xwb manually, that works, but it would be great if that could be done official from inside EB4
Pablo

Re: EB some Questions

Post by Pablo »

1. yes, no changes have been made since the preview. All seems to be ok.
2. no, this is not possible because the core is now inside the software. There is no longer any binary code in the extension.
I do this already by editing the .xwb manually, that works,
Is the file also published then?

Anyway I see if this feature can be added in the future.
jordan

Post by jordan »

ok, but can the function of allowing debugging be disabled from EB then,
there is no debug for official extensions, it seems it can be disabled per extension ?
I'm not saying the official and unofficial exactly have the same structure, just saying it can be disabled per extension

yep, the edited file is published and works (just have to re-edit after each save) … TNX! would be great if so
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Extension created with Extension Builder and official extensions are very different.
Official extensions are executables while in EB extensions the functionally is implemented in WWB.
Official extensions cannot be debugged, they are compiled C++ code, not XML.

For EB extensions we have moved the 'core' from the extension to the software for several reasons:
1) It is much faster and extensions are smaller (using less memory).
2) The code has to be loaded once instead of loading it for each extension individually. This saves a lot of systems resources.
3) We will be able to integrate more functionality in extensions. Like the new menu features.
4) If users have the latest version of the software they also have the latest version of the extension 'core'. So if there is a bug fix for extensions functionality they it will apply to all extensions.

Anyway I will see if I can implement a 'do not debug' option.
jordan

Post by jordan »

I do understand the changes and the advantages and many thanks for them
however I hope you will find a way to implant a 'do not debug' option
cause having your work suddenly plain public, plain snucks … :mrgreen: .
TNX!
jordan

Post by jordan »

one more question/notion

all description added to properties are not visible anymore in WB8.2.0 ?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

all description added to properties are not visible anymore in WB8.2.0 ?
This has been fixed in the current build.
jordan

Post by jordan »

yeeeah works, that was quick . 8) .
jordan

Post by jordan »

some more questions/notions

01. gallery:
gallery does not open with live HTML rendering in a saved project (even if it's enabled)
you first have to open and close the gallery again, save the project again, then it does live render on project open ?

02. multi line:
multi line text has changed
I have many extensions that uses multi line edit to enter custom coding
but the multi line edit now is very narrow and has an automatic line break
It is quite difficult to write custom coding in such a small space, the code becomes very long very soon
and you have to scroll up and down in that small space to make sense of your own code
you can of course widen the area, but then at each edit you first have to widen the area manually
could the space be a little wider, about twice as wide, basically as it was, that was a good size for editing code ?

03. file collection:
the file collection as is at the moment has no purpose
all files added remain in an absolute path, and no content is saved relative to the project
it is therefore impossible to share an extension that makes use of this file collection, cause the user will never get the content
ie.
if I build a dataset with a file structure, when I save that project the files will be placed relative to the project, the data can travel with the project
but in this new file collection the data never travels with the project (or extension) ?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

1) I cannot find anything wrong with the feature.
Do you have an example?

Note that you must restart the application after enable 'live rendering'. The HTML renderer is only initialized on startup.

2) Ok, I will modfiy this in the next update.

3) I think you misunderstood the purpose of this feature.
The file collection property is to allow the user to select additional files whihc will be published to the specified folder. The files will not be stored inside the extension.
The (absolute) paths to these files will be stored in the project. It currently does not use the Asset Manager. I will enable this in the next update.
jordan

Post by jordan »

01. example project > (link removed)

02. thank you very much!

but the purpose of an extension is sharing custom coded components, the file collection has to be part of that component
I can not come up with one situation in which the user has to input different multiple files them self
if you have ie. a gallery, the user inputs images, that's clear
but the user will never input a .swf file and some button images and a background image etc. at once
that will only occur on a by property entry
so a file collection only has use for the builder that collects files and uses it inside his code
but then the file collection has to travel with the project and/or extension
if it is added to the Asset manager that would work I think, cause then the content is at least saved with the project . 8) .
Last edited by jordan on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

3) This option was requested by several other extension developers. So although it may not be useful for you, other developers have let me know they are very happy with it.
I do not only add features for you;)
jordan

Post by jordan »

support wrote:3) This option was requested by several other extension developers. So although it may not be useful for you, other developers have let me know they are very happy with it.
I do not only add features for you;)
hehe … I do understand that, fair enough . :wink: .
just would like to hear one real life example, I can't come up with one, that's all
not saying I have written the book, just saying I would like to read that book . :mrgreen: .
jordan

Post by jordan »

he, I didn't know that WB 8.2.1 fixes many of these issues, great TNX!
makes me greedy … will there be an EB4 update in the near future also ?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Next week I will have a short holiday and after that I will be working on new features in EB.
jordan

Post by jordan »

support wrote:Next week I will have a short holiday and after that I will be working on new features in EB.
. :) . sounds like a good song to me! … have a great holiday, and a save return home if your leaving the country!