Setting Fonts?

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
ColinM

Setting Fonts?

Post by ColinM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi Pablo,

I'm currently using WB 11.2.4 - I haven't upgraded to 11.2.5 because I have a couple of websites that need to go live very soon at a moments notice.

One of a projects pages use Marydale font, the rest of the site uses Arial.

I have set TOOLS>OPTIONS>HTML-Web Fonts to "Automatically use @font-face for non web-safe fonts".

Testing the site, the first time I FTP the whole site, the page that use the Marydale font - THIS ONE - shows fine on my desktop because I have Marydale installed, but when I display that page on my laptop, tablet and mobile it displays the font in Arial.

What I have to do to get the page to display the font correctly is set each text block across all break points to Marydale then re-FTP it.

Reading the Help, my understanding is that using "Automatically use @font-face for non web-safe fonts" :

"Using @font-face

For a long time it was only possible to use a selected number of web safe fonts in your web designs.

However now you can use any font by enabling WYSIWYG Web Builder's 'Use @font-face for non-websafe fonts' option (Menu->Tools->Options->HTML)!

If you enable this option you will be able to use any type of true type font even if it's not web safe by using a new CSS3 feature called @font-face.

WYSIWYG Web Builder will automatically generate the necessary code and upload the font to the server. It will even generate a secondary (eot) font file required to make this feature work with IE!"

On the first FTP, both the eot and ttf files are there for the Marydale font, so from my understanding of the above help, the font on the page should display correctly first time, I shouldn't have to set all the text blocks to Marydale across the breakpoints and re-FTP the page?

Is it a setting I have somewhere or am I missing some understanding?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
Please think before you post, be polite, don't hijack threads and above all please respect Pablo's huge effort!
My Website

protectourlands

Re: Setting Fonts?

Post by protectourlands » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:07 am

Colin

Not sure if this will help, but there are generally 4 file types needed to safely make fonts appear in most applications. Set these in Tools > Options > HTML > Webfonts > Manage

Personally I try to avoid this method if at all possible and instead use Google fonts. It just seems to be more dependable, but that could just be me.

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:34 am

protectourlands wrote:Colin

Not sure if this will help, but there are generally 4 file types needed to safely make fonts appear in most applications. Set these in Tools > Options > HTML > Webfonts > Manage

Personally I try to avoid this method if at all possible and instead use Google fonts. It just seems to be more dependable, but that could just be me.
Hey protectourlands - thank you for your input. Yes, I was considering using Google fonts but had to get the changes up to live. I've done that all be it with the re-FTP fiddling I mentioned above, now the heat is off I'll explore that option.

Still would like to know why I have to re-FTP to get the font to "work". 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
Please think before you post, be polite, don't hijack threads and above all please respect Pablo's huge effort!
My Website

protectourlands

Post by protectourlands » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:00 am

I am not seeing that font. I see Times Roman when I view your page in Chrome and FF.

Do you have your text frames set to enable responsive layout? I read that you verified 2 versions of the font published. Did you upload all 4 versions of the font?

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:27 am

protectourlands wrote:I am not seeing that font. I see Times Roman when I view your page in Chrome and FF.

Do you have your text frames set to enable responsive layout? I read that you verified 2 versions of the font published. Did you upload all 4 versions of the font?
Hey protectourlands - yes, you won't see the font because I intentionally left it in a pre-fixed mode so Pablo can see the code with the issue. Yes, text objects are set to enable responsive fonts - include line-height...

Sorry, not sure what you mean by all 4 versions?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:39 am

In version 11.5 the option "Automatically use @font-face for non-websafe fonts" can generate 4 font types: WOFF, SVG, EOT and TTF.
Note however that not all fonts can be converted automatically, but many will work ok.

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:36 am

Pablo wrote:In version 11.5 the option "Automatically use @font-face for non-websafe fonts" can generate 4 font types: WOFF, SVG, EOT and TTF.
Note however that not all fonts can be converted automatically, but many will work ok.
Hi Pablo - yes - I saw that, thank you and was tempted to install 11.5 but was concerned that if I over-rode 11.4 and it didn't work with that font I'd have a problem on my hands. Is there a way to have both versions on my computer to test it out?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:42 am

You can install 11.5 in a different folder. But they will both use the same settings.

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:53 am

Pablo wrote:You can install 11.5 in a different folder. But they will both use the same settings.
Ok thanks again Pablo - will have a think on the best way forward. I could of course install 11.5 on my laptop and see how that goes - at least I know there would be no inter connectivity between the two versions.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

protectourlands

Post by protectourlands » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi Colin

What I meant was, if you want the best chance for the font to show cross browser/cross platform/device, you need to install all 4 font file types Pablo listed. Based on your post it looked like you only had 2. You can use a font file generator like Font Squirrel to get all 4 formats, then apply all of them in Tools > Options > HTML > Webfonts > Manage. I apologize I should have been more clear.
Because Google fonts are in an API that is linked to, I find it way more reliable. No need to install fonts on the server.

Sounds like you have it squared away now.

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:47 pm

protectourlands wrote:Hi Colin

What I meant was, if you want the best chance for the font to show cross browser/cross platform/device, you need to install all 4 font file types Pablo listed. Based on your post it looked like you only had 2. You can use a font file generator like Font Squirrel to get all 4 formats, then apply all of them in Tools > Options > HTML > Webfonts > Manage. I apologize I should have been more clear.
Because Google fonts are in an API that is linked to, I find it way more reliable. No need to install fonts on the server.

Sounds like you have it squared away now.
Ah thanks protectourlands - no need for an apology - you've given me some options - but I'll try the new version of WB on my laptop first. 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:04 am

Ok...

a) Installed WB 11.5 on laptop.
b) Installed appropriate plug in and extensions.
c) Downloaded and installed Marydale ttf.
d) Copied project across from desktop to laptop.
e) Made sure Tools > HTML - Web Fonts set to "automatically use @font face..."
f) Previewed project - five fontawesome-webfont objects present - eot, svg, ttf, woff and woff2
g) FTPed whole site to test server - page not showing Mary dale font.
h) all five objects per f) above in project root directory.
i) check all text blocks on page - show Mary dale
j) reformatted all text blocks to mary dale
k) re-FTPed page - mary dale font now displays ok.
l) saved project and exited.
m) went back into project and re-FTPed again and refreshed page - mary dale font still showing ok
n) added test text - set to responsive - formatted as mary dale and reFTPed - shows correctly.

OK, so from ALL of that, it would seem that moving to 11.5 at least allows the retention of correct display for new text objects, but stuffed why at step g) the font didn't display correctly and I had to re-FTP - maybe because the original font was formatted in 11.4?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

protectourlands

Post by protectourlands » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:33 am

Hi Colin

Is it possible that your browser is caching the older view and that is throwing you off? BTW the font looks good here on FF and Chrome.

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:27 am

protectourlands wrote:Hi Colin

Is it possible that your browser is caching the older view and that is throwing you off? BTW the font looks good here on FF and Chrome.
Hey protectourlands - Yes, thought of that and made sure I refreshed the cache - but it would be the only thing that would make sense. Thanks for the input and confirmation on the font display. 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
FORUM MODERATOR
My Website

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:43 am

After selecting "automatically use @font face... did you also enable all fonts types with 'Manage'?