Movement of FlexBox and Layout Grids

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
eworr

Movement of FlexBox and Layout Grids

Post by eworr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi,

I am using version 12.2.3 and I am having a problem with the FlexBox container.
When I have a combination of flexbox containers and layout grids, if I try to add a new flexbox container, I cannot move it past a layout grid and, sometimes, I cannot move it past another flexbox container. I can always use "Move to Back" and "Move to Front", but the "Move Back" and "Move Forward" commands do not work. Is this normal and, if so, how can I add a new flexbox container and then move it to the place I need it to be on the page?

Thanks,

William

Pablo

Re: Movement of FlexBox and Layout Grids

Post by Pablo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm

All objects are in a list from top to bottom on the page. When you use 'move back' or 'move forward' then the objects will be moved one place in the list.
If there are other objects in between two flex containers/layout grids then you may need to use move back/forward multiple times to see the effect on the layout.
You can see the object order in the Object Manager.

eworr

Post by eworr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 am

Yes, I see that. In my case, I have a page with a combination of flexboxes and layout grids.
I want to add a flexbox to the middle of the page. I add a new flexbox, which (logically) goes to the bottom of the page.
Above it is another flexbox with no content (just a background colour). The "Move Back" command will not allow the flexbox to move up the page (or up the object list).
The "Move to Back" command jumps it to the top of the page, as you would expect. From here, I can use the "Move Forward" command to move the flexbox down past two other flexboxes, a layout grid and another two flexboxes. Then it stops and will not move by means of the "Move Forward" or "Move Back" commands.
I can still jump the flexbox to the top or bottom of the design page by using the "Move to Back" or "Move to Front" commands, but there is no way to get the flexbox to move to beyond what I have just described.
This happens consistently with the different pages in this project.

William

eworr

Post by eworr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 am

OK, I have just discovered that I can drag the object up and down the object list and this allows me to move the flexbox up and down the design page.

William

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:12 am

I use the "+" and "-" keys to move responsive objects up and down the page. Just mark the "flexbox" or "layoutgrid" and use the "-" for moving up, and "+" for moving down. And as Pablo wrote... when there are a lot of inhold in the flexbox or grids you have to type multiple times on the key until you see the change.
"Make My Day"

See my Website

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:50 am

This happens consistently with the different pages in this project.
Please share the project file and describe exactly what I need to do to see the issue.

eworr

Post by eworr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm

OK, I have solved the problem by dragging the item up and down the object list. Unfortunately, I am using an ergonomic keyboard, so it doesn't have a number pad - this means that using the + and - keys involves turning a function key on and off, so it's a bit time-consuming.

So, to see the issue, you will need to add a flexbox container on any of the pages containing both flexbox containers and layout grids and try to move the new flexbox container using the "Move Back" and "Move Forward" commands (mouse click) on the ribbon menu or any other menu.

The project file is here: https://www.priorat240.com/misc_files/
The file is the only one in this directory and is called Priorat240Flex.wbs

Thanks,

William

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks for sharing your project.
However when I try it it works correctly.

As previous mentioned you may need to use the 'move back' multiple times depending on the object's current order in the object list.

Also note that 'move back' and move forward are mapped to the same command and numpad + / -. The numpad keys are shortcuts to the same commands.

eworr

Post by eworr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 pm

OK, thanks. It's probably an issue with my operating system/available memory/graphics card, etc. There are other little things that happen with the program when a project has a lot of objects (especially images). For instance, in the project I shared, often when I try to scroll down the screen of, say, the "allotjaments" page, the program freezes for about 20 seconds, the screen turns into what appears to be a slightly enlarged screenshot and then reverts to normal and then I can scroll. This happens on pages like the one I mentioned, where there are a lot of layout grids with images in them. As I say, it's probably an issue with my graphics card or available RAM.

The issue with the movement of objects is odd, though, as I can now always move objects by dragging them up or down the object list. However, when I click on the move back or move forward icons, nothing happens, no matter how many times I click.

Out of curiosity, I have tried turning on the number pad and using the plus and minus keys. It works eventually, but, for instance, if I have the flexbox container in the second position (just before the last flexbox container at the bottom of the page), it can take about 10 presses of the key to get past the last flexbox. I am now finding that if I persistently click the icon for move forward, it sometimes also works. This is strange because the last flexbox container contains no objects.

Anyway, thanks for your help and, by the way, the program is really excellent.

William

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:11 am

where there are a lot of layout grids with images in them
Did you resize the image before adding them to the page. Large images can take a lot of memory which may slow down the performance of the application, because all the pixels have to be processed.
Related FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... =10&t=1918
I have the flexbox container in the second position (just before the last flexbox container at the bottom of the page), it can take about 10 presses of the key to get past the last flexbox.
In the project you have shared the Layout grid is at the third position in the list.
There are 9 objects (lines) with a higher z-index than the Layout Grid (they have been added after the layout grid was added). This means that if you add a new Flex Box container (or Layout Grid) and you want to move it before the Layout Grid then you will have to use 'Move back' 10 times.

Bertock

Post by Bertock » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:53 pm

I find + / - keys very unconfortable, because frequently I'm typing normal text and these keys move the lay-out of the page.

Don't you think this is a BUG to fix?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm

This is not a bug. The numpad (+/-) keys were intentionally associated with these actions.
It has been like this since version 1.0. So, if I change this behavior now then I think many other users will get upset.

Note however that you can customize or remove the keyboard shortcuts via 'Customize'.

Bertock

Post by Bertock » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 am

I keep thinking that numpad (+/-) keys must be deactivated when you are typing a text inside an object.
They must be activated only when you select an object and of course you want to move it.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Keyboard shotcuts are 'system' functionality, they are mapped by the framework. As developer I cannot disable these.