How to use en dash or em dash in the text?

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
heynen

How to use en dash or em dash in the text?

Post by heynen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:13 am

Dear all,

I would like to use the "em dash" or "en dash" in the text of my webpage. Both are basically long forms of the minus-sign: -

I am using the font Lato - and when I insert the "long dash", WWB will first show it as it is, but then automatically shorten the sign, so that it looks like a normal minus sign again.

What can I do?

thanks.

Malte

Pablo

Re: How to use en dash or em dash in the text?

Post by Pablo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:08 am

Maybe you should insert it as a symbol via 'Insert Symbol'?

heynen

Post by heynen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am

I have tried that as well. The Symbol section is great and offers a lot of options (and is better organised than in my version of Word).

But unfortunately, this does not solve my problem here. In "general punctuation" there a four versions of dashes. But: once you publish your page, those dashes are also shortened: So they just have the length of a "minus" sign - which does not look like a dash.

The same happens not only when publishing, but also inside the program: When you edit another object, the dash is shortened. When you double click on the text again to edit it, you see the long version of the dash again...

I have triad Arial as well - same result.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 pm

To be honest, I am not familiar with "em dash" or "en dash". I have never needed this myself.
Note however that the editor is a standard Windows functionality, so I do not have any control over the way it works.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:43 pm

OK try the following as a work around. Add the text object to the page right click the object this will open its context menu scroll to bottom select Object Properties->Advanced->check (tick) Do not encode HTML characters (for advanced users only) click OK to finish.
Now back to the text object add the text you wish and at the end insert the following for en dash – or – and for em dash — or — repeat either of these for length required for the em/en dash. Note you will not visually see the dash till you 'Preview' or 'Publish' but it is there.

heynen

Post by heynen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Thank you BaconFries.
That works perfectly.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 pm

👍