HOW TO UPGRADE TO WB14 AND STILL HAVE WB12?

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
kevindef

HOW TO UPGRADE TO WB14 AND STILL HAVE WB12?

Post by kevindef » Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi Pablo,
I desperately need to upgrade to WB14 but also want to have WB12 on my PC as well, just in case. There are projects that was built using WB12 and ready to go alive, so would like to keep those projects on WB12 - for obvious reasons.

Is there anyway I can have them both side by side on my PC, so i can decide which one to use on which project?

Thanks.

Bluesman

Re: HOW TO UPGRADE TO WB14 AND STILL HAVE WB12?

Post by Bluesman » Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 am

Yes you can just install WWB 14. Maybe you should create one new folder for keeping the WWB 14 projects in. So you keep better track for them.
"Make My Day"

See my Website

kevindef

Post by kevindef » Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 am

Thanks Bluesman,

Just to make sure; so when I purchase and download the new WB14, it will not update my old WB12, instead it will create a new folder with a new short cut for WB14, while I still have access to WB12? correct?

ArkyBoy

Post by ArkyBoy » Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 am

@Kevindef, that's exactly how it installed here. I did nothing on my end to make that happen. v14 installed into it's own folder, and put a new icon on my desktop. Load and go!

kevindef

Post by kevindef » Thu May 10, 2018 1:22 am

So ArkyBoy, do you still have your WB12 on your PC? And you can still use WB12 on your old projects?

ArkyBoy

Post by ArkyBoy » Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 am

@Kevindef, absolutely. I have a couple of sites that I'm going to go ahead and complete in v12. However, I've already started a new site in v14, and am testing new features, of course. The two never meet. I simply have two things:

1. A naming convention for files, so that I know which is v12 and which is v14
2. A separate folder where I'm trying to remember to always store v14 projects, away from my v12

I don't want to accidentally open a v12 project, especially a working site, or one in development, until I'm very certain that no bug will accidentally get into a v12 project, and then not be able to re-open it in v12 to fix things. I'll maintain this parallel process for a long while, probably until an earlier verison project needs a feature that is only available in the newer WWB version. In my previous software, I have versions that go back for years, and I maintain them in those older versions, because no new feature is needed, and I have no desire to introduce any possible contamination from the newer version. It all comes from painful lessons learned in the past. However, my file nameing convention allows me to work this way without a problem.

kevindef

Post by kevindef » Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 am

Mate ArkyBoy, appreciate you taking the time to help out a fellow WB user. This is exactly what I wanted to hear and mate, you nailed it. I intend doing the same. I can now go ahead and purchase WB14 with confidence.

Thanks heaps!

ArkyBoy

Post by ArkyBoy » Thu May 10, 2018 10:16 am

@Kevindef, glad to help. You won't be disappointed in v14. I have less than a year with WWB now, and Pablo has done a masterful job with this software. I'm only sorry that I didn't discover it a few years ago. Have fun, and enjoy v14.

kevindef

Post by kevindef » Thu May 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Hey ArkyBoy, just wanted to know; did you upgraded or just went out and purchased WB14. What is the safest method to purchase WB14 and still be able to retain my old version WB12 separately, similar to how you have done?

Thanks.

ArkyBoy

Post by ArkyBoy » Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 pm

@Kevindef, I already had version 12 (see my earlier comments). So, I merely upgraded to v14. It installed all by itself, into a different folder.

Oh...one thing....(on my system, anyway)...be aware that all WWB website file icons (your actual website files) may be displayed as v14. This is where the naming convention I mentioned, comes in so very importantly.

kevindef

Post by kevindef » Fri May 11, 2018 2:33 am

Got it! Thank you. I have my old projects in separate folders, grouped as WB project 1, 2 and so on... - so this should be fine then. And thanks for the hint on the icons, yea good thing you warned me on that, if not, would have freaked out.

Thanks mate, appreciate all the tips.

gasconman

Post by gasconman » Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm

@Arkyboy

Hi, I'm trying to get my tired head around this so please forgive me for being i need of a little clarification.

When you say "1. A naming convention for files, so that I know which is v12 and which is v14".... can I ask which files you mean? And could you give an example of how you name them?

And when you say, "2. A separate folder where I'm trying to remember to always store v14 projects, away from my v12".... do you mean that, after installation of WB14, you immediately set a different storage parameter in Tools...Options...Files & Folders...System Folder? (which says "use with caution"!)

Thanks in anticipation

ArkyBoy

Post by ArkyBoy » Fri May 11, 2018 7:23 pm

@Kevindef,

As regards the naming convention, it's pretty simple. I simply use the version in the name somehow:

I'm talking about the actual .wbs file for a project

(ex of a file name for a client) JodeeFarmsNursery_2017_makeover_v2_WWB_v12.wbs

As I make major changes to the site, I might have JodeeFarmsNursery_2017_makeover_v3_WWB_v12.wbs or even JodeeFarmsNursery_2017_makeover_v4_WWB_v12.wbs. This version number, along with the WWB version used to create the file, is just my home-brew insanity for keeping track of where I am on a site development, and which version was the most currently modified.

Then, secondly, I rarely use WWB's preferred storage location for my site files. Every one of my websites is in a separate folder, and all supporting files are there also (images, documents, drawings, notes....absolutely everything) on a 1-TB external SSD, in a folder called (for instance) "Website - JodeeFarmsNursery". Then, ever so often, I do a complete backup of that folder (and the others) to a separate (backup) 1-TB external SSD.

Then, just in case the world caves in around here (I am in tornado alley), when I'm finished with a site, I do a file backup to the server on one of the final uploads. Periodically, I replace that backup, especially if I'm making any extensive changes.

Yep, it sounds like a lot of overkill, but I've become used to my procedure. And, you have not lived until your hard drive goes down and takes your websites with it.

Hope that helps...

gasconman

Post by gasconman » Sun May 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks!

cmartins

Post by cmartins » Wed May 16, 2018 8:57 am

Friend Pablo, excuse my doubt. How to install the WWB14 upgrade and NOT keep the WWB12 version? Should I first completely uninstall the WWB12 version? Or should I install the new version over the old version?