Failed to open document

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
giula

Failed to open document

Post by giula » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Hello. I have great difficulty opening one of my projects built with the 11.50 version of wwb. I have been using this software since version 5 and I have always found it very well. I also have version 14 but, to avoid any compatibility problem, I would like to continue using version 11 to work on this project.
The last time I opened this project was in July 2018 and I had no problem. Now I tried to open it but the message "Failed to open document" appears. The same thing if I try to open it with version 12. I tried to open it with version 14 and I was told that there was no extension (breadcrumblinks) that I had not used in the final version of the project. I followed the instructions, I downloaded and renamed the dummi.wbx file, I installed the extension but now even if I open with version 14 I get the tremendous message "failed to open document". How can I solve this bad problem?

BaconFries

Re: Failed to open document

Post by BaconFries » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:09 pm

The last time I opened this project was in July 2018 and I had no problem.
On that date what version did you open and save your project with?. If you have opened a project made with WB11 with WB12/14 then you will no longer be able to open in WB11 again. This is due to 'New' features in WB12/14 not being compatible with WB11. Regarding the extension please ensure you have the exact same version that you previously used when reinstalling. Please also note that this extension by myself is no longer available to download or supported anymore.

giula

Post by giula » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:20 pm

As I said, I tried to open the project with all the versions of wwb, even the most recent 14. But the project does not open. This is an important site that I have to update. As I said, I tried to use the suggested system to overcome this problem: download the dummy.wbs file and rename it with the name of the missing extension.
Could you tell me how to get the original version of this extension? I can not find it anymore in the Extension manager. Alternatively, could you tell me the exact name of this extension so you can rename the exact way the dummy.wbs file? Thank you

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:35 pm

As mentioned the extension is no longer available to download or install from the Extension Manager and hasn't been available for some years now. The dummy method is to allow you to simply remove the extension so you are able to open your project to make any changes required. I am sorry I cannot remember the exact name of the extension as it has been many years since anyone has asked questions regarding it.

giula

Post by giula » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:53 pm

The problem is just that: it would be enough for me to be able to reopen the project. I do not want to use this extension. Even with the dummy method it is not possible to open it, I always get the message "failed to open". I ask your maximum help because it does not seem nice to lose all my site of a hundred pages done with so much effort. That extension had not been used on the published pages, perhaps only on some test page. It is not nice that these serious problems occur!

giula

Post by giula » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:39 pm

The error message gave me the exact name of the extension (see image). I renamed the dummy.wbx file and published it in the extensions folder as suggested in https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=67924. However, the error message is always the same. Failed to open .... Please help me!

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:55 am

If you still get the same message after adding the 'dummy' extension then maybe you have placed it in the wonrg folder?
Did you try to click 'Si'?

Maybe there is an other extension missing?

giula

Post by giula » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks Pablo, I really need your help. This message appears only if the breadcrumb.wbx file is not present in the "extensions" folder (file wbx obtained by renaming the dummy.wbx file). If instead I insert the file the error message changes and the "failed to open" appears. No other missing extension is reported

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 am

Note that the name of the extension should be breadcrumblinks.wbx, not breakcrumb.

The only way I can help you with this is if you share the project file.
However, I am 100% sure this is related to an extension.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:52 am

Just as Pablos reply 'Maybe there is other missing extensions' even though they are not getting reported. To see what extensions may have been used please try the following, open the .wbs with Notepad++, search for "W B x" note the spaces. You should now be able to see what were used, take note of it/them. Close but doPlease try the following, open the .wbs with Notepad++, search for "W B x" note the spaces. You should now be able to see what were used, take note of it/them. Close but do not save when asked.0 not save when asked. If other extensions are shown you will also need to install them along with the breadcrumb to be able to open your project.

giula

Post by giula » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks for the assistance. Meanwhile, I found something that could be useful: opening with wwb11 an old version of the project is reported as missing the extension Breadcrumblinks.uwbx. (not .wbx). The suggest in https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=67924 is still valid or should something be changed? Is it enough to change the .wbx extension in ubx or is the dummy.wbx file not useful?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 am

Did you try to rename the dummy file to Breadcrumblinks.uwbx?

giula

Post by giula » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:20 am

I tried to rename the dummy.wbx file in Breadcrumlinks.uwbx but the same "error to open file" error message still appears. now I try the suggestion of BaconFries

giula

Post by giula » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 am

As suggested, I opened the project with Notepad. I found only 2 extensions: massivemenu.wbx (regularly installed) and Breadcrumblinks.wbx. As I said, wwb 11 reported strangested misses Bredcrumblinks.uwbx. I have now inserted into the extensions folder, both the file with the extension .wbx and with the extension .uwbx but the result has not changed: failed to open

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:48 am

The only way I can help you with this is if you share the project file.