Failed Upgrade to Ver 14-64 bit

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
bobfrank12

Failed Upgrade to Ver 14-64 bit

Post by bobfrank12 »

Tried upgrading to the new 64bit version.
The upgrade failed and said it cannot find a wwbeditor.css in a specific wwbeditor directory. Of course, I IGNORED to see what happened and a whole sequence of other files were not found. That tells me it could not find the directory.

I manually looked for the directory and it is there as specified and the files are located in the directory. So the unzipping exercise must have worked, but some directory pointers are not right.... or maybe something on my end is blocking the view/access (A/Virus?).

I did not change the default directories on install.

Any suggestions, Pablo?
Bob
Pablo

Re: Failed Upgrade to Ver 14-64 bit

Post by Pablo »

Usually this is related to folder permission or user credentials.
If the previous version was installed with different user credentials then the setup may not be able to access folder and copy files to it.

As a work around you can temporarily rename or move the \Documents\WYSIWYG Web Builder\ folder, before running the setup.
Then a new folder with the correct permissions will be created.
After the setup you can copy back the old files.

Another common reason is that the virusscanenr is blocking access.
bobfrank12

Post by bobfrank12 »

Hi Pablo,
The recommendations you made did not work and I am getting "wrapped around the axle". Maybe you can help me out.
I removed McAfee's A-Virus. Microsoft's basic A-V is still there so I am ok with that for now. I totally de-installed the 32 and 64 bit versions to get a clean slate. I reinstalled x64. Same install issues.

But first I renamed that directory so the directory was available for the install to create a new directory. I re-installed and the same errors came up. Plus it did not create that directory during/after the install. But despite a ton of missing file errors and a few others, the install asked me if I wanted to run WYSIWYG.... I pressed OK, and it came up, no errors. It worked ok, but I did not have a good feeling. Still that directory does not exist. Hmmmm... is that right? Can it work without that directory?

But here are problems I am getting now.... not knowing if related to a not-clean install, or not. It wiped out the FTP info for PUBLISHing during the install (I expected that). But now it will NOT retain the FTP info even though I get a good save on the website file itself. I am able to publish, but I have to re-enter all the FTP site info each time I go to publish. Royal pain.

The reason I came looking for patches or upgrades is because on 2 new websites I am putting up, the 32 bit version would not retain the new FTP directory information. It always defaulted to the main FTP site directory. Now after the upgrade to 64 bit it will not even retain that. The other issue with my previous 32 bit install was that as soon as I would publish, the whole program would shut-down; it did not seem like a crash, but rather just a complete close. It published OK but then shut down. Frustrating. The other thing it would not do is to retain the RECENT OPENED filenames. That function seems to be OK in the new 64 bit version, though.

An additional issue with the 64 bit is the background on my main website is not coming up; I tried clean caches and 2 different type of browsers - same issue - no background shows. That has me confused because in the WYSIWYG 14x64 system it looks good. I checked for the missing background file and it is everywhere it belongs, including on the website (published up) along with all the other images.

During the whole process I deinstalled the 64bit to go back to the 32 bit and the same missing file errors came up. So I went back to the 64 bit, again.

I am not sure if these are all related or not.
Can you please help me out?
Bob
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Did you run the setup as administrator?
This can only be related to access rights, the 'Username\Documents folder' must be writable otherwise the setup cannot copy the files to the folder.
It wiped out the FTP info for PUBLISHing during the install (I expected that).
Your publish settings will not be removed by the setup. However, the publish data is stored in the 'Username\Documents\WYSIWYG Web Builder' folder, so if you renamed the folder then the software can no longer find the settings.
After the installation you will need to rename back the folder to its original name.
But now it will NOT retain the FTP info even though I get a good save on the website file itself.
This is related the same issue: access rights. If the folder is not writable then the settings cannot be saved.
Alternatively, you can configure a different folder in: Tools -> Options -> Files & Folder -> System Folder

Again, this is all related to permissions, so only you (as the administrator of your computer) can solve this.
The software cannot take ownership of these folders without your permission.
bobfrank12

Post by bobfrank12 »

Ok Pablo, I made some headway. This is a Windows issue of some sort.

I am absolutely bare naked with no A-V/ WIndows security right now - wanted to eliminate that interference. I am the only account ADMIN and had the same problems. I dropped back from an MS Account to a Local admin account. Same issue. This is a 6 month old Lenovo. Sooo...

I pulled out my 3.5 year old Surface Pro (I upgraded from it because it was "getting tired" and not enough built in storage). I got WYSIWYG loaded no problems, added that VisC++ and it runs fine. That directory was created. I pushed up the cover page and it retains the PUB information. So I am sure (as you suggested) the issue with the Lenovo has something to do with the installation having the right access rights. I have to work on that AFTER I put my security back in.

Two issues seem to continue, but I won't fret just yet.
1. The background pic still does not load back in on the pages, yet. I will play with that a while to see if I can figure out why not. I have one page that uses shaded colors and that is fine, but those with that graphic background are blank in the back. Let me "work it".
2. Not a big problem but I saw on both machines in the 64 bit version, some text boxes had resized texts and some pics/ jpgs were resized. Things got shoved around a bit/ overlapping. Not a big issue, I just fix them in the WYSIWYG and push up the updated pages. Don't know what it could be, but I thought you might want to be aware.

If you have any other ideas to try for that Windows access issue on the Lenovo, please let me know. In the mean time I will run with my old Surface Pro.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The background pic still does not load back in on the pages, yet.
Did you use a valid filename for the image?

Related FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131

What is the URL of the page?
Not a big problem but I saw on both machines in the 64 bit version, some text boxes had resized texts and some pics/ jpgs were resized.
This is most likely related to the DPI settings of your computer. If you previously used 100% and now for example,150% then Windows will render the text larger.
bobfrank12

Post by bobfrank12 »

All set for now, Pablo.

You were right on. The file name was the issue. For some reason after the upgrade, the browsers started to enforce the fn rules more closely.

Not sure about the sizing issue, but it was quick and easy to fix. I just had to resize the text, but it gave me the opportunity to standardize the fonts and sizes on all pages.

Thanks
Bob
bobfrank12

Post by bobfrank12 »

Pablo,
Last post on this. I got it fixed and figured out what happened. You may want to know in case someone runs into it. They likely will.

It was a Microsoft security issue. It must have been rolled out in the last update or two, when things started to go "haywire" with my WYSIWYG.

There is a RANSOMWARE PROTECTION, CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS security feature. They must have enabled it to control more folders and the document folders must be in there. I tried to "enable" your installation to run (an option), but it still would not give access to the installation. So I just turned off the folder control.

I don't know if it will hurt me, but the reason I caught it was because it started "giving me crap" on other things and FINALLY popped up a notification about the problem. So I followed the notification and found the Ransomware protection control. Everything with WYSIWYG worked fine before this, so I shut it off. WYSIWYG is working fine, now.
I moved a copy of the PUBLISH.DAT from my SurfacePro to this system directory and all is well with publishing to different sites.

Thanks for helping.
Bob
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Thanks for clearing that up!