Menus appearing in the wrong place - but not permanently

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
alan_sh

Menus appearing in the wrong place - but not permanently

Post by alan_sh »

Creating my site, I have a responsive menu as part of a master page (at the top) and a navigation menu at the side as part of a particular page.

Sometimes (and I haven't worked out when yet), the menu at the side appears in the wrong place, with the wrong colours, appears twice or maybe just as text. If I then do a refresh twice (using Firefox on my PC), the page refreshes correctly.

Here's an example of what it should look like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4iwvscsqy51y ... r.jpg?dl=0

And here's an example of what it looks like when it goes wrong: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpas75pv0u9ls ... e.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas why this happens? It doesn't just happen to me - I had one of my testers report this too.

The site is www.pennine2020.penninescouts.org.uk

Alan
PS - I've posted the direct link to the images because sometimes I just see "image" where I would expect a picture.
Pablo

Re: Menus appearing in the wrong place - but not permanently

Post by Pablo »

There are errors in the names of your styles and filenames. Style and file names should not have spaces.
For example:
"Scouts Bold"
"canoing (Small).jpg"

Related FAQs:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=64868
and
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131

See also: Page -> Error Reports
(note that this does not report errors in style names)
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Will that cause the issues I am seeing? [I'll fix it anyway]

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Invalid style names will affect the page layout.
Invalid file name may confuse the browser or JavaScripts because a space is considered the end of the name.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I fixed all the errors reported and did a full upload. I got the same error on "Safeguarding". See https://www.dropbox.com/s/tagkswb84fphs ... e.jpg?dl=0

Once again a single refresh cured it. But I cannot have this behaviour when I eventually go live.

Alan
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

And from another PC (also using Firefox), this is the view I got of the index page
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpo03tzgkmwq3 ... d.jpg?dl=0

Once again, a refresh cures it.

Alan
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

They say 'A Picture Paints a Thousand Words' but they dont really help... It is always best to provide a url so we can view the source ad it shows/tells us more than a image... In this case it us showing that not all files have been published please ensure that all files are uploaded eg the css/javascript and once done check again.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I did post the URL above, but again - pennine2020.penninescouts.org.uk

I always do a full upload - so I assume they are all there. A 'refresh' always cures the problem - so is it a serverside error not delivering files correctly (but they are cached, so they work the nex time) or is it a browser issue? Or what?

Whatever it is, I don't get this issue with my other web sites (penninescouts.org.uk, prawscouts.org.uk to name two)

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I do not see the issues on any of my computers.
I have tested with FireFox, Intern Explorer, Edge and Chrome.

Did you clear your browser cache after making the changes?
Did you try it in different browsers?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Just viewed using Chrome/Firefox/Edge using mobile versions on Mobile/Cell switching between mobile/desktop and shows just fine. As mentioned by yourself and Pablo it more than likely a server issue.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The only other thing I can think of is the usage of the marquee.
This is an unofficial HTML element so some browsers may have issues with this. Although I have never heard of any problems with this before.
https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3 ... .org.uk%2F
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Thanks both.

I have only seen it with Firefox. Chrome seems OK. So I doubt it's a server issue.

I am not the only one who has seen this - but I don't know what browser they were using on their mobile (I have asked).

I will remove the marquee and also fix the blank space in the favourites filename.

Thanks

Alan
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I changed the fleur-de-lys filename - no difference. I could make it fail just by loading it up.

I then removed the marquee - at that point the upload to the LCN server kept failing (I kept getting a reset message from the server). So, I went drastic. Loaded up FileZilla and deleted all the files on the server. Then used FileZilla to copy the files from my NAS server.

So far, it's working. So, it could have been the marquee or something else on the server. But for now, let's close this off until it starts again (hopefully never).

Alan
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

This issue has reared it's head again. This time, in 'phone' mode where my menu hamburger just doesn't appear unless I do a refresh.

Thinking about it, it all started when I had two navigation bars in my master pages. So, is this allowed? Does it cause any timing issues? I now have up to three at various pages.

I checked with LCN - who host my site and they only do caching if you have w**dp***s (and then it's w**dp***s that does it, not them). So, it's a client side issue, but I have tried clearing the cache and even using a brand new device which has never been to the page and there are still these issues.

There's also an issue that the multilevel panel menu loses links - I had every link set to go to another page, but last night two of them went back to 'external web page' with no link - and that is not the first time this has happened.

As it stands there is no way I can use WWB to develop my web sites - it's unstable. If you want to have a look at my .wbs file, it's here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/za1x0jcj5e69k ... 0.wbs?dl=0

and the site is www.pennine2020.penninescouts.org.uk

I do like the program and how it works - but I will be going back to W**P**s for now unless someone can explain what is going on.

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I doubt that this has anything to do with master pages or the menus themselves.

Maybe there are too much scripts on the page so the browsers has a problem processing it all?
Did you try with with just a basic layout (menus only). For example, (temporarily) remove the slideshow or cookie extension?
Does that make a difference?
As it stands there is no way I can use WWB to develop my web sites - it's unstable
I don't think it's fair to blame the software until we really figured out what is going on.
This is the first time (in more than 10 years) that anyone has run into this issue!
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Pablo,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I apologise.

However, the issue stands that what I am trying to do doesn't work -for me. It is so hard to diagnose because I don't understand what is happening 'beneath the hood' of browsers, so I have to trust that the software I am using will tell me when I am doing something wrong.

I didn't think my web site was that complex. I can play and see when something starts to break - but is it reproduceable elsewhere? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that I need something I can rely on in the immediate future.

I'll keep you posted. I will leave the pennine2020 site up for a while and start again elsewhere.

Alan