change a page from html to php

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
Lasa

change a page from html to php

Post by Lasa »

If I build and upload a page, say an index.html. Then later change it to php because I added a form, save and upload...
wwb does not seem to know that index.html has been (renamed) essentially deleted and simply uploads the index.php but does not delete the index.html which does not exist in the project anymore.
So then we need to manually delete the index.html am i correct? it doesn't seem right...shouldn't it delete index.html ?
Lasa
BaconFries

Re: change a page from html to php

Post by BaconFries »

So then we need to manually delete the index.html am i correct?
Yes, the program will neverdelete any files from the server.
it doesn't seem right...shouldn't it delete index.html ?
No, as already mentioned the program will never delete any files from the server. It is for you remove/delete any unused files.
You can remove unused files via the built-in 'Explore' option or another FTP tool.
openomsk

Post by openomsk »

It would be nice if the program automatically deleted unused files. At the same time, it would be possible to mark the files that need to be protected from deletion by the program.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

That will not be possible, There is no way for the software to know which files are from previous versions of the website or that they have been created/uploaded by other software or extensions.
Simply removing all unknown files from the server would be a huge risk and could damage your website.
Lasa

Post by Lasa »

Noted and understood... with that said WWB knows what it is using and where it is at all times. So it could only delete files that "it" no longer uses, that "it" uploaded.
Just food for thought.
Cheers,
Lasa
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

WWB only knows which files it currently uses, it does not keep track of files that were created by older versions, third party extensions or external scripts.
Some files may be required by older pages that are still on the server (not everyone updates their complete website) or by scripts running on the server.

Again, it would be a huge risk if the software removed any unknown file from the server. I do not want to be responsible for the damage that may do to your website.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

I periodically have a clearout of obsolete files by going into the folders (via cPanel), clicking the Last Modified heading so that all 'old' files are displayed at the bottom (or top if you prefer) and deleting the ones I'm sure are no longer needed.
Even doing this you have to be certain what you are doing.

To make it a bit easier I sometimes do a full publish so that any file that hasn't today's date is a reasonable candidate for deletion.