How to re-size text

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
richrich

How to re-size text

Post by richrich » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:49 pm

How do I re-size text. Not keep the same size font and squish the text around. I believe I saw where you could change text to an image, drop the image into a layout grid and in the image settings change full width to true. But, doing it that way would be bad for SEO. Is there a way to say drop text into a layout grid and have the font size re-size as you drag the browser window to the left (say from 1000px to 320px) without changing the text to an image? Text is not like an image where you drop the image into a layout grid and then change full width to true in the image properties. Text has no full width setting like images do. Or I don't believe text has a full width setting? Rich

crispy68

Re: How to re-size text

Post by crispy68 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Text is 100% width when placed inside a layout grid. If you want the text to be different sizes, open the properties of the text object, check the box for responsive font, add a breakpoint, then change the size of the font within the text object. Each BP can have different size font.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:11 pm

richrich

Post by richrich » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:32 pm

crispy68, The way your talking about doing it is creating break points that then show up on the top of the edit screen. Then you click on each BP on the top of the page and change the txt size for each BP? I was trying to increase-decrease txt size without having to change txt size manually for each BP. I'm trying to make a dynamic page with no break points. The same way a layout grid with an image it works. No BP's, just a layout grid with an image in it. Like the text in this sample responds:

https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_c ... e_text.asp

Pablo, I have not used an extension yet but I downloaded the flexible text extension. Went to extension manager hit the manual install and installed flexible text extension. Reading the pdf it says "The scaling is controlled by the font size property which is in vw units (percentage of the viewport width).". I started a new page and drug a layout grid onto the page, drug some text into the layout grid, right clicked on the text box, choose object properties and looked for vw units. I didn't see vw units. With the extension installed, it alone did not make the text variable. After the extension is installed do I drag the sample text into a layout grid? If so how do I turn on the ability to make the text size-variable. Because I have not used an extension yet I'm guessing the first time I get one working will make the light go on as to how to work with one. Rich

crispy68

Post by crispy68 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:05 am

Depending on your design, using VW for your text may work. However, keep in mind your text size will be dependent on the width of the browser window size which means you have less control over the way the text will look at different sizes.

There is nothing wrong with using breakpoints to have more control of the style of your text. I wish you luck and like to see the final outcome when completed.

richrich

Post by richrich » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 am

The reason I'm trying to design the site without BP's is because it's an ecommerce site which will have products added and deleted constantly. If it was a doctor, dentist, landscape, etc site I would use BP's as once the pages would be built they wouldn't change for months-years. If I have to add new product constantly and have to alter each page with 3, 5, 10 break points each it will take to much time per page. I was trying to make a W***p***s, W**c***er*e ish page where most of the pages have layout grid type modules-templates that you just drop images and descriptions into. Was hoping to build a WP like site without having to deal with all the moving parts (problems) WP has. In the end if I cannot get layout grids to make the page I'll have to use BP's and spend the extra time. But, if i can get layout grids to work it'll take 1/3, 1/5, 1/10th the time adding each new product. Just trying to figure out the best way to setup the pages for build speed as once I decide on the template I'll be stuck with it as hundreds of pages will be built with it. No going back after that. Rich

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:22 am

After the extension is installed do I drag the sample text into a layout grid?
The extension must be inside a layout grid to become flexible.
See also the the documentation of the extension.

richrich

Post by richrich » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:37 am

Ok, I just realized after installing the flexible text extension a flexible text choice pops up on the bottom of the tool box (I'm 1 week new to WWB). So it looks like you drag the flexible text onto the work space and double click on it and edit the text right there. It works perfectly. Went to a preview and the text got bigger and smaller perfectly. Drug a flexible text box into a layout grid and it stayed perfectly centered when dragging the browser window back and forth. I did notice I could not highlight the text and create a link out of it. Am I missing something? Can I not create a link from the text in the flexible text? Rich

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:20 pm

I did notice I could not highlight the text and create a link out of it. Am I missing something?
Correct, this is a text solution only.

richrich

Post by richrich » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Possibly a different extension that allows the text to get bigger and smaller like flexible text on a browser drag where the text can be made into a link? Rich

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm sorry, there is no other extension.
These extensions are from my personal collection and I have shared them just in case someone else finds them useful. They are provided "AS IS".
If you need more advanced functionality then you can implement our own script (or extension).