Responsive text isn't

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
alan_sh

Responsive text isn't

Post by alan_sh »

I have a web site where one page will not go 'responsive' when I reduce the size. The page is http://pennine2020.penninescouts.org.uk/Join-Us.html and it's the text which stays much wider than the screen. I've tried it on a tablet (iPad), my phone (Android) and reducing the size of my desktop browser. It's the same on all of them.

What am I doing wrong?

WBS file is https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4v6gvngpmpaz ... 0.wbs?dl=0

Thanks

Alan
crispy68

Re: Responsive text isn't

Post by crispy68 »

Looks like at one point you chose to 'use <div> for each line' of text which is causing it to generate a div for each line of text with a fixed width. You can see what i'm talking about if you right click on your text object, choose 'object HTML' and view the code. You will see line after line of <div>'s for your text with fixed widths.

My recommendation is to create a new text object, insert all your text first (don't format anything yet) and then go back in and highlight the text you want to change colors of, bold, etc.

When I recreated your text from scratch doing this, it works.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Thanks. That is weird because I didn't deliberately do that - it must have been how it got pasted in.

Alan
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Well, it seems that as soon as you do any formatting, the HLML is changed to <div> for each line.

So how are you supposed to format the text?

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Well, it seems that as soon as you do any formatting, the HLML is changed to <div> for each line.
The option will not be selected automatically. Please make sure that none of the 'deprecated' options has been selected.
Also, do not copy/paste text directly form Word because it may have incorrect formatting.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Pablo,

I have no idea what deprecated options are, so I assume I have never set them. But I will check the options.

The text, when I first paste it in appears on 1 line in the html view. As soon as I format any bit of it (such as change the colour or size of a line), all the text is changed to <Div>.

I don't copy from word, it's a cut and paste from text in W**P**s X8 (my old web program).

Thanks for listening

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Please do not use formatted text from another program.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Ah, it's beginning to make sense now.

The 'advanced' is set to "default", so that's OK.

But, when I import the text I copied into Word, it comes up formatted as I would expect, not plain text, even though when I import it into WYSIWYG, it appears to be plain text - but it obviously isn't.

If I push the text into Notepad and select that before I import it, then it still looks as ordinary text, the difference being that I can now change styles and it doesn't reset everything to <div>.

I guess that's the way I go from now on.

thanks

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You can also hold down the 'SHIFT' key while pasting text to remove the formatting.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Ah thanks - a good tip

Alan