Why do I have variable white space below Page Footer?

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
Ozcarnut

Why do I have variable white space below Page Footer?

Post by Ozcarnut »

It has taken me a few weeks to learn WWB sufficiently to develop and publish my web site. Most impressed with program but still have a lot of learning to do.

Viewing my published site on my PC, I have noticed white space below my black Page Footer. There should be no white space below the Footer. The size of the white space varies from page to page. What is causing this varying white space and how do I stop it from happening?

To enable Responsive Web Design I have a "Master-Frame" with a Content Place Holder and content on my pages is placed within Layout Grids. I have the Content Place Holder with "Overflow" set at "Expand", could this be the cause? Have tried setting it to "Floating" which seems to fix the White Space issue in preview but I get a white line across the page about half way down the page?

Web site with White Space issue: www.etypejaguar.ozcarnut.com
Pablo

Re: Why do I have variable white space below Page Footer?

Post by Pablo »

It looks like you have added multiple footer.
So I think the other footers add the extra space.

Note that I cannot see what you have done based on the HTML code only.
Ozcarnut

Post by Ozcarnut »

Many thanks Pablo. I will try deleting the footer and see if I have multiples. Will get back here with results.
Ozcarnut

Post by Ozcarnut »

I don't believe that I have "multiple footers". I deleted the footer from the Master Frame page and made sure there was no other footer object or spare Layout Grid etc. Previewed the site, no footer visible. Then selected a new "Footer1" from Blocks and inserted to Master Frame. Changed ID to unique name (master-frame_Footer). Changed "Position" from "floating" to "footer (floating)". Previewed and still have same issue with variable white space below footer.

Master Frame Page Properties: Page Alignment: Do not centre this page, Size: Width 1050 Height 1000
Layout Grid for footer: Overflow: Hidden, Layout: Fixed width, Gutter width: 15, Breakpoint 480, Semantic: <div>, Position: Footer (floating)
Content Place Holder: Overflow: Expand, Alignment: Left, Repeat: Repeat in both directions, Horizontal Align: Left, Vertical Align: Top

QA
1; Does the height of the Master Frame page matter? What height should it be? I am using 1000
2; How big should the Content Place Holder be? eg Full page width and from just below Header to to of Footer?
3; Tried changing the Place Holder overflow from "Expand" to "Floating" as advised in the HELP section and this fixed the white space problem below the footer, but then every page of the site has one thin white line across it in varying locations?
4; What could be causing the thin whiteline?

I appreciate your help and hopefully you can provide an answer as to what I am doing incorrectly.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

1; Does the height of the Master Frame page matter? What height should it be? I am using 1000
No
2; How big should the Content Place Holder be? eg Full page width and from just below Header to to of Footer?
The height of the content place holder does not matter as long as it's smaller than the content.

To be able to help you, I need a demo project so I can see all your settings.
Related FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=82134
Ozcarnut

Post by Ozcarnut »

Pardon my ignorance, but even after reading the link to FAQ "How do I share my project to get help", I still don't know how to upload my project (.wbs) to you? Sorry, but I don't know how to use WWB to upload a file for you to find on my website.

I have created a sample project for you which is less than 2mb without images, but my lack of tech knowledge is stopping me from getting the file to you via my website. Can I email it or can you please provide guidance for a dummy to follow!

Project Update
I have set the Content Place Holder "Overflow" to "Floating" and that fixed the white space below the footer. I have now worked out that the narrow horizontal line that runs across the same place on all my pages will move up or down the page as I change the height of the Master Frame page. Currently I have the height at 800 and the line is three quarters of the way down the screen when I publish to my computer.

Again, apologies for my lack of tech aptitude.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I still don't know how to upload my project (.wbs)
You can upload the file the same way as you do other files to your own site then provide a url to it.
example url:
http://www.yoursiteurl.com/yourwbs.wbs
If still unsure you can use the likes of Mediafire (free file host) and provide the generated url they provide.
Ozcarnut

Post by Ozcarnut »

Thank you for your patience. A light version of my project, without images, can be found at:
http://www.etypejaguar.ozcarnut.com/pab ... -11-20.wbs

Hopefully this will enable you to find what is probably a simple and basic error on my part, but one that I just can't locate due to my lack of knowledge.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Thanks for sharing the project.
The next time can you please remove all pages which are not relevant to your question?

There are 3 footers on the master frame:
- PageFooter1
- PageFooter2
- master-frame_Footer

It looks like you have only used 'master-frame_Footer', so please remove the other ones.
You can find / remove the extra footers via the Object Manager.

Also note that the footer is set to 'floating', if you want to display the footer at the bottom of the browser window then set the layout grid to to 'footer (fixed)'
Ozcarnut

Post by Ozcarnut »

Excellent Pablo, many thanks. Sorry but I had no idea I had 2 extra footers. And I previously also had no idea how to locate or remove them. Thanks to your help I am now more comfortable with WWB and am aware of the Object Manager and how it can help.
Removing the 2 extra footers fixed the issue and without your guidance I would not have found the solution.

I also changed the Footer Layout Grid to "footer (fixed)" as you suggested, but this resulted in the footer covering a small amount of the content on the bottom of the pages. I changed it back to "footer (floating)" and the problem was fixed.