Email Marketing Campaign Software?

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
ColinM

Email Marketing Campaign Software?

Post by ColinM »

Hi All,

Not a WB question but there are a lot of brains in here and a good chance that one or more of you have used software to create an Email Marketing Campaign.

My client cannot send multiple emails out through is ISP (his ISP mail send limit is 1) and he doesn't want to change his ISP, so he has asked me to look into services like Mail Chimp. I've started creating a a template but find that the email created only had the content at 600 pixels wide which looks ridiculous on a large screen.

I've tried creating a HTML file in WB to upload without much success.

Any suggestions please?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
adrian5750

Re: Email Marketing Campaign Software?

Post by adrian5750 »

Hi Colin
Mailchimp's pretty capable, and they have very good support people.

I've always used variations of their own templates, but in the 'create a campaign' section there's the option to 'Paste own html into editor'.
There's also a help section
http://templates.mailchimp.com/getting- ... il-basics/
where it says
"Emails should be 600-800 pixels maximum width. This will make them behave better within the preview-pane size provided by many clients."

I think this may be one of those cases where 'less is more' <g> - and, rather than do the all-singing, all-dancing webpage design thing, it's best to compromise on something simpler...? Even people who have signed up to a mailing list are sometimes resistant to opening the emails, and you want to make it as 'easy' as possible for them to accept the email, open it and see your client's message...

As a service, I find Mailchimp to be very effective. I've used it for probably ten clients in the past, some of who have now gone on to run their own mailings with the program.

Hope this helps
Adrian
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply :D . A couple of questions if I may:

1) Did you stick with the 600 pixel width ? I did find a way of increasing the size and selected 970, but that did horrible things in the mobile view.
2) As far as I can tell and from what I have found info wise - you can't attach anything to emails - you have to link to them?
3) Have you tried using WB to create a custom HTML template or do you just use the template builder?
4) Have you found any way to make the template responsive?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
adrian5750

Post by adrian5750 »

HI Colin

1) Yes - I stuck with the default 600 pixel width
2) Not sure what you'd want to attach? - never tried it myself.. - can't imagine most subscribers being overjoyed at large attachments...
3) I just used their template builder
4) Responsive template - no - never bothered to look.

I think you may be over-complicating things.....

Looking at the 'big names' - people like Groupon, for instance - they use a 600pix width, plain vanilla, not responsive.
I think of email 'newsletters' as a way of communicating with past customers, saying 'we are still here', and inviting them to follow a link to see a new product, or a newsy update, or somesuch.
In other words, getting the message across, with an appropriate call-to-action, is more important that the 'arty-bit' (responsive websites etc).

Save the fancy stuff for the website itself, all you're trying to do with the email is to present something that doesn't look too shabby, doesn't trigger a bunch of spam-detector-filters in the recipient's email program, doesn't take forever to download, and (most important) generates the required response (be it a click-through, signing up to an offer, delivering a voucher code etc). Mailchimp is very good at providing stats on opens / click-throughs etc, so you can see how effective a particular email has been

I'd be guided in your website design by Mailchimp themselves - they've been around a while, and seem to know what they're talking about.

A word of caution with 'new' email lists. Mailchimp are quite particular about mailing lists, and will tell you off if your list contains lots of bounces, or (worse still) lots of unsubscribes. In the long run, this is a Good Thing (as it maintains their reputation, and those of your client, as non-spammers) but it can be a shock when you let loose your first Mailchimp bulk email, using a list of addresses supplied by your client - and you get a rap across the knuckles! Been there - done that!

Adrian
Patr100

Post by Patr100 »

Colin, yes as stated, MailChimp does not attach files to emails it adds a link to where they are uploaded/stored on MailChimp.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Hi Adrian,

Once again, thank you for a great response and some very insightful info and tips.

All your points are completely valid and well considered. In this Client's case we are not starting a new marketing campaign but replicating the Client's existing marketing but through an ISP independent and spam/RBL compliant email marketing third party.

This replication ties my hands as the Client has a set "look and feel" of what they send out, so they want that (as close as possible) to have the same look and content extent as the PDF they used to send out before they found out that their ISP only allows single emails to be sent - not sure how that worked for the Client in the past - something I need to check.

Yes, Mail Chimp is popular, but I would not at all be surprised that the Client, given the quarterly campaign Newsletter is quite extensive, that they would find a 600 pixel width limitation undesirable for both visual width and the resultant length of the Newsletter.

I also looked at Active Campaign - that product allows for a 900 pixel width which displays fine on mobiles so I'm considering using that instead.

As for the attachment, the Client normally sends a Newsletter and a Wine Order Form (one of many large local vineyard clients I have) - it is the Wine Order Form that would have been the attachment. As far as a I can see, neither Mail Chimp or Active Campaign allow attachments, but both provide for embedded HTML links - so the solution there is to host the order form for the Client and link to it. :D
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Patr100 wrote:Colin, yes as stated, MailChimp does not attach files to emails it adds a link to where they are uploaded/stored on MailChimp.
Thanks Patrick 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Hi Colin. I'm quite satisfied with "SendBlaster" http://www.sendblaster.com
Can be a good alternative :)

Saludos
"Make My Day"

See my Website
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Bluesman wrote:Hi Colin. I'm quite satisfied with "SendBlaster" http://www.sendblaster.com
Can be a good alternative :)

Saludos
Hi Bluesman,

Ah choices, not always helpful LOL - but thank you, another product to look at.

One question - what is the pixel width of the embedded content please?

EDIT - Another question - which of the products did you buy - it's a bit confusing?
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Hi Colin, most of the provided templates are 600 pxl. Seams to be a standard, but you can modify and create your own. Also there are some "responsive" templates. I have not the newest version, so I think there are a lot more responsive and other sizes...

So far I have done my own layouts and sizes... so I don't dependent of the templates :) Just as WWB :)

Saludos

Ps. I have the "Pro" edition...
"Make My Day"

See my Website
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Hi Bluesman,

Ok - thanks for that - will have a look at it :D 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
lummis

Post by lummis »

Colin

I use Sendblaster to send out newsletters to a small golfing society group so use the free version that allows for up to 100 mailings. The recently issued version 4 does have a liquid layout which I have not used as yet and there are a number of templates that you can play around with although it looks as though the responsive ones are only available in the Pro Version. It might be worth your while experimenting with the free version to see if it meets your need.

Brian
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

lummis wrote:Colin

I use Sendblaster to send out newsletters to a small golfing society group so use the free version that allows for up to 100 mailings. The recently issued version 4 does have a liquid layout which I have not used as yet and there are a number of templates that you can play around with although it looks as though the responsive ones are only available in the Pro Version. It might be worth your while experimenting with the free version to see if it meets your need.

Brian
Hi Brian,
My Client has probably about 2,500 subscribers, so the free one would not be an option, but thanks heaps for the input :D 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
lummis

Post by lummis »

Hi Colin

Sorry if I gave the impression that the free version would suit your client - I guessed that they would have more than 100 subscribers as otherwise it would be a poor marketing campaign :)

What I was trying to indicate is that you could have a look at the free version which does have nearly all the bells and whistles - e.g. it has 150 templates but not the new responsive ones - and you could explore the mechanics of how it would work for you. For test purposes you only need a few throwaway email addresses so the limitation won't affect your analysis of the software. One advantage of Sendblaster is that it can be held on your clients own computer thus keeping all of the client details in house.

I just think it is worth a look as the Pro version may be a possible option.

Brian
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Hi Brian,

No apology needed :D . What you say is true and that email addresses aren't stored in a cloud is a big plus. Always the risk of a hack otherwise. One hurdle and one concern I guess Brian. The hurdle is getting the Client to pay all of the money up front rather than a monthly fee, cheaper in the long run I admit, but knowing my Client he might not be attracted to that. The concern is that I'm always wary of someone that offers a product with a one time payment, there's a risk they could go belly up.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
lummis

Post by lummis »

I know what you mean, Colin but just look at it like any other software - you could say that WWB is a one time payment (rather than subscription). I think that they have used that terminology just to differentiate themselves from those that charge a monthly fee. But in the end you have to go with what suits the client.

Brian
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

lummis wrote:I know what you mean, Colin but just look at it like any other software - you could say that WWB is a one time payment (rather than subscription). I think that they have used that terminology just to differentiate themselves from those that charge a monthly fee. But in the end you have to go with what suits the client.

Brian
All very true Brian, although Pablo has an ongoing revenue stream with new versions and paid for extensions :D - thank you again for your input 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Hi Colin,

Just looking for creating an email template to send from within WB
Did you manage to do it? How?
The contact form is just plain...

All the best for 2018

Alex
protectourlands

Post by protectourlands »

I have been providing HTML emails for clients for about 10 years now. Truth is I hate them and try to avoid them by hoping to convince the client to use an email service like Mailchimp. They are often more of a pain than they are worth. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose.

I do not recommend using WB for creating emails. That is not a slam on WB - just the opposite. WB is too sophisticated and HTML emails must be written as primitive as possible to increase the chances they will view properly and get past most spam filters. I use an HTML editor and start and end the document with <html> </html> tags. I keep the emails at 600px wide or less.

If you think dealing with all the different browsers and their unique ways of displaying code is a pain, wait till you have to consider all the different email programs and whether or not they can read various tags common in web page design. Browsers are way more sophisticated than email programs so what looks good in a browser will not necessarily look good in an email display. Email programs are essentially very unsophisticated browsers for the most part.

Some things I have learned: I keep all styles inline. There are pluses and minuses to this. Here is a great article explaining these https://emails.hteumeuleu.com/should-we ... 3b64f0d407

It is also best practice to post all images used in the email to your server, then use full paths to call on them in the email. (ex: http://www.yoururl.com/images/house.jpg). I use tables for the email structure. This will give you the best chance your email will display as intended in the all-too-many email programs out there. I try to keep everything old school. I suppose you could try using WB by setting the page properties for table layout instead of CSS layout in Miscellaneous and avoid external sheets. I have never tried this so if you do try this and it works please share the project.

Once I get the html finished I publish it as a web page, then provide a link to it at the top of the email. Even the big boys like Mailchomp and Constant Contact still do this. No matter what I do there are still some people using email programs that cannot read the email as intended. I usually expect between 5 and 10 percent, so providing this link is highly recommended. Mobile email apps are notorious for not reading HTML emails well.

Here is an email I built for a client recently: http://www.oldcapitalmuseum.org/depot_email2.html
Feel free to look at the source code. Simple table layout - nothing sophisticated. Funny thing is they use Mailchimp for their campaigns so we load the html into their Mailchimp acct to create the custom campaign. They maintain their list with Mailchimp.

I hope some of this helps.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

alex4orly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:18 pm Hi Colin,

Just looking for creating an email template to send from within WB
Did you manage to do it? How?
The contact form is just plain...

All the best for 2018

Alex
Hi Alex,
Sorry haven't been in here for a while due to other calls on my time and the impact of the Festive Season - and happy new year to you too :)
So, no not yet, but the input from protect... is great.
Mailchimp is very popular - but of course you have to accept that you are putting your Client contact list in the database of a very large hacking target.
Always a trade off.
Totally agree with Protect... on trying to use WB.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
ALWAYSLEARNING

Post by ALWAYSLEARNING »

I rarely post on this forum, but I do visit it quite regularly. Anyway, I am interested in the Senblaster solution, but I am not sure about investing on a product that may not be around very long. I understand that even large companies are not immune of it either.

Anyway, I like the idea of purchasing a software that can reside on my desktop instead of the cloud, but I share the same feelings as ColinM regarding the one time purchase deal. I visited their Sendblaster Facebook page, and it seems that some customers weren't too happy with the company's support system. I also like the idea of having a list of e-mail contacts residing on a desktop instead of the cloud, but that's my personal opinion.

If any Sendblaster user is currently using the application and would like to chime in, then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

ALWAYSLEARNING wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:49 pm I rarely post on this forum, but I do visit it quite regularly. Anyway, I am interested in the Senblaster solution, but I am not sure about investing on a product that may not be around very long. I understand that even large companies are not immune of it either.

Anyway, I like the idea of purchasing a software that can reside on my desktop instead of the cloud, but I share the same feelings as ColinM regarding the one time purchase deal. I visited their Sendblaster Facebook page, and it seems that some customers weren't too happy with the company's support system. I also like the idea of having a list of e-mail contacts residing on a desktop instead of the cloud, but that's my personal opinion.

If any Sendblaster user is currently using the application and would like to chime in, then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Hi Alwayslearning. I wrote in the beginning of this thread. I can as I did then... recommend SendBlaster. Just like with WWB I like to have my important work locally on the computer (not in a cloud). So Sblaster is a good option, any detail you want to know about?
"Make My Day"

See my Website
ALWAYSLEARNING

Post by ALWAYSLEARNING »

Hi Bluesman,

Thanks for your quick reply! I have spent the last few days doing research on some e-mail marketing tools, and I totally agree with you when it comes to keeping the list of e-mail addresses on a hard drive (including a backup copy) instead of the cloud. I looked at SendBlaster's Facebook page, and I read that some customers were upset about customer support. That is a reason to be concerned about, especially since I am not familiar with this type of tools. I would hate to purchase the program/app to find out that it is won't be developed anymore, or that it is not up-to-par with with the other know tools in the market.

SendBlaster doesn't have a forum page where users could discuss the various issues (if they have any). Their website doesn't seem to have a news section either, and on top of that if they are slow or don't respond to their customers, then it may end up being a deal breaker for me. I do appreciate the company offering a free version for evaluation, so that is a positive.

My current questions are the following:

Have you had to contact SendBlaster for support, and has their response time been reasonable in your opinion? ( I know that Pablo has spoiled WYSIWYG users with his extremely fast support, which is totally appreciated!!)

How often do they publish bug fixes?

I downloaded their software, and I will test it and see how it goes. Thanks again for your feedback, and I may come back to ask more pertinent questions in the future.

Thank you,
Still learning and I have a long way to go.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

ALWAYSLEARNING wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:36 am Hi Bluesman,

Thanks for your quick reply! I have spent the last few days doing research on some e-mail marketing tools, and I totally agree with you when it comes to keeping the list of e-mail addresses on a hard drive (including a backup copy) instead of the cloud. I looked at SendBlaster's Facebook page, and I read that some customers were upset about customer support. That is a reason to be concerned about, especially since I am not familiar with this type of tools. I would hate to purchase the program/app to find out that it is won't be developed anymore, or that it is not up-to-par with with the other know tools in the market.

SendBlaster doesn't have a forum page where users could discuss the various issues (if they have any). Their website doesn't seem to have a news section either, and on top of that if they are slow or don't respond to their customers, then it may end up being a deal breaker for me. I do appreciate the company offering a free version for evaluation, so that is a positive.

My current questions are the following:

Have you had to contact SendBlaster for support, and has their response time been reasonable in your opinion? ( I know that Pablo has spoiled WYSIWYG users with his extremely fast support, which is totally appreciated!!)

How often do they publish bug fixes?

I downloaded their software, and I will test it and see how it goes. Thanks again for your feedback, and I may come back to ask more pertinent questions in the future.

Thank you,
Still learning and I have a long way to go.
Hi. I had some contact with their support (helpdesk) years agoo. They answered and solved my issues that were my misunderstandings… and after I have had no more contact because it just works as it shall :D
No bugs that I know about. I'm so satisfied with this software (almost like WWB) :wink:
But as I wrote... was a long time since I had any issues for support, so I don't really know how their support is today. I'm surpriced if it's bad.
"Make My Day"

See my Website
ALWAYSLEARNING

Post by ALWAYSLEARNING »

Hi Bluesman,

Thanks for your feedback! I am right now going through the help pages to learn more about the program. Glad to hear to that you are satisfied with this software, and that you are not having issues with it. I am going to spend some time learning it as I am absolutely not familiar with e-mail marketing apps at all. Maybe I didn't look hard enough on their website, but I couldn't find a step by step tutorial on how to get things right the first time. I'll keep digging into the help files, and see what happens.

Thanks!
zinc

Post by zinc »

You can always use this if you are going to use MailChimp...

http://www.fabioquarantini.com/formchimp/

Have suggested this to pablo for an extension...
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
ALWAYSLEARNING

Post by ALWAYSLEARNING »

Hi Zinc,

Thanks for the link; it seems that it would be nice to have it inside WB. Maybe Pablo can get around it some time to include it in one of the future releases.
I dabbled a bit with SendBlaster yesterday evening, but their support/learning page is left to be desired when it comes to guiding new users on how to successfully create and deploy an e-mail marketing campaign. I had to look on YouTube for a tutorial that describes the process in details to accomplish the task.
I just wish that the company could publish a How-To tutorial that can show the process from start to finish as an incentive to acquire more customers. I think as of today, I am leaning towards the purchase of SenBlaster as my e-mail marketing campaign tool.
zinc

Post by zinc »

Yes I have tried SendBlaster but I prefer MC as it seems to be quite straight forward....
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
ALWAYSLEARNING

Post by ALWAYSLEARNING »

I am actually testing MC, and I admit that it seems more straightforward as compared to SendBlaster. I personally would rather use a piece of software that resides on my computer/s than the cloud. The problem with Cloud Computing is that you just don't know when they decide to remove features, or change their plans... Reminds me of my old Windows phone; they would remove apps when updating the phone, and suddenly there would be tiles missing on my "desktop/dashboard whatever you call it".

I am still playing with SendBlaster, so it is still too premature for me to have a fair opinion of the software. So far I was able to successfully mass mail (a few e-mail addresses). My next step is to use WYSIWYG to create a template, and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, the Cloud is nice for some people and for some applications, but for others it may not be an ideal solution.

Right now, my biggest problem with SendBlaster is their support page. They should ask for some feedback from people who are new to the software, and then "tool" their support page to reflect the changes made based on that feedback.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

ALWAYSLEARNING wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:11 pm I am actually testing MC, and I admit that it seems more straightforward as compared to SendBlaster. I personally would rather use a piece of software that resides on my computer/s than the cloud. The problem with Cloud Computing is that you just don't know when they decide to remove features, or change their plans... Reminds me of my old Windows phone; they would remove apps when updating the phone, and suddenly there would be tiles missing on my "desktop/dashboard whatever you call it".

I am still playing with SendBlaster, so it is still too premature for me to have a fair opinion of the software. So far I was able to successfully mass mail (a few e-mail addresses). My next step is to use WYSIWYG to create a template, and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, the Cloud is nice for some people and for some applications, but for others it may not be an ideal solution.

Right now, my biggest problem with SendBlaster is their support page. They should ask for some feedback from people who are new to the software, and then "tool" their support page to reflect the changes made based on that feedback.
Did you watch this intro video for Sendblaster:
http://www.sendblaster.com/video/SB4/?v ... ro&subs=sv
"Make My Day"

See my Website
ALWAYSLEARNING

Post by ALWAYSLEARNING »

Hi Bluesman,

Thanks for the link! I visited their website a few days ago, but didn't see that intro video to SB. The video tutorials under their support page gave me the following message: "Apologies, but no results were found". Good thing that I just found their official channel on Youtube; so I will be watching those videos this week.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

One of the most important issues, is to know how many emails your provider allows with smtp. So that you setup the right amount in SB.
"Make My Day"

See my Website
ALWAYSLEARNING

Post by ALWAYSLEARNING »

Hi Bluesman,

Sorry for the late response; I have been very busy the last few days. Anyway, you're making a very good point, and I will have to check with my provider to see how many e-mails I can send with smtp (which shows you how much I know about e-mail marketing).

I also got an e-mail from SB, and it looks like they are trying to promote their cloud solution. Does that mean that they are planning to drop their desktop version soon? Will SD remain functional, say in the next couple of years or longer?

I actually send them an e-mail last week, but I have yet to hear back from them. This doesn't seem like a good way to attract potential customers, and as I said before, customer service is as important and if not more than the software itself.