Test Folder

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
WB10user

Test Folder

Post by WB10user »

Hi guys,

Hope it's okay to ask this question in this section. If not, please feel free to move it. I have looked this up in the forum, and although I have seen the words test folder in some topics, I don't think I have actually come across how to create a test folder to publish a site to before it's released into the public. I have looked up online but the method for doing this for WWB11 may be different. Plus I have tried doing this unsuccessfully before i.e. i created a folder called "test" in the public_html section but could not set the path to that folder using WWB11.

So how do you successfully go about creating a test folder and publishing your site into it using WWB11?

Thanks in advance.
[RZ]

Re: Test Folder

Post by [RZ] »

you can setup this on the publish location dialog box (the remote folder field)
or
you can add a folder (call it 'test' if you want) in your project (site manager panel) and move all the pages to that test folder and then publish as always without any change on the publish location
(the 2nd option is what i always do)
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

I always use the first method.
Use the test folder you have already created in public_html.
If you already have an entry in the Publish dialog just use "Copy" and then change the publish name, remote folder, etc..
You then use the original for publishing live and the test one for the test.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Hi WB10User,

There's a a few options available.

I've actually created a separate domain that I use for my Clients - a Staging web server (space) if you like.

I then created sub folders on that server.

Then, when I set up the FTP path and name them I calling STAGING - <client name>.

I like this method because it clearly defines between LIVE - <client name> and STAGING <client name>.

It's also handy whilst you are organising a domain transfer in before you create the hosting underneath it.

One word of advice if I may - make sure you flag your pages (or the Master Frames) NOINDEX/NOFOLLOW - you don't want those pages ending up in a search engine. 8)

You can of course use other methods of blocking search engine crawlers (bots) - .htaccess, server permissions - but I find the NOINDEX is easiest.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
WB10user

Post by WB10user »

Thanks, guys, for all your suggestions. I will try out what you guys suggested and see which method works for me. ;).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

WB10user
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

You are most welcome WB10user - as you have observed - there are a few different approaches - whatever works for you.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia