Up The Proverbial and sinkin' fast.

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Intell Challenged

Up The Proverbial and sinkin' fast.

Post by Intell Challenged » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:59 pm

G'day All,
I'm new to website buildin' and computer jargon and I guess I should be spendin' time in front of the fire warmin' up me bones, waitin' for me meds to kick in and then headin' off to bed. But I'm a stubborn ole fool and just wanna have a crack at buildin' a simple no bells and whistles website that I can share with me pd mates around the world. Search as I may I'm strugglin' to see how I can link a pdf file to some text on me web page so that when its up loaded to me host server those who visit me page can view the file that the text is connected to. I've watched videos, read tutorials and nothin's sinkin' in as yet. To you people is more than likely the simplest of things to do, to me not so easy, hopefully someone will have some simple child like instructions that can have me achievin' this task.

Thanks in anticipation. :)
Hooroo.
Intell Challenged.
If I Don't Try I'll Be Left Behind.

BaconFries

Re: Up The Proverbial and sinkin' fast.

Post by BaconFries » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:29 pm

See the following:
Link to a file (ZIP, PDF etc)

Linking your pages together (Creating Hyperlinks)

Or take a look at my tutorial on how to embed a PDF in a Web Page for user/visitors to read. Note a PDF reader is required on the users PC for this to work.
Embed a PDF

Intell Challenged

Post by Intell Challenged » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Thank you Sir,
I'll try it again, a new day clearer mind, spent hours last night and things just weren't computin' :evil: . Have me computer for Dummies on standby (The Wife) :) so will do as is commonly told to me, 'When everything fails do as the wife said and it'll work'! :wink:
Thanks for ya help, have a nice day. :D

Intell Challenged.

Intell Challenged

Post by Intell Challenged » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:34 am

Whoops - after some playin' around I managed to get me pdf onto me little web page. On me search engine I visited me little web page and bingo there it was doubled clicked on it and it opened and I could read me pdf. How when wife went to me web page and clicked on my w\'Welcome to BTSC' all her computer wanted to do was to down load the file, she tried everything to get her computer to view the file but no it just wants to down load it. we have both visited a web page that has pdf's to view and she can view their pdf's without being requested to down load them.

I tried many times to fix me problem but now it is just text and no file can be read at all. I guess I done somethin' wrong have you any ideas for me to try. lol.

Hooroo
Intell Challenged

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:28 am

The behavior of PDF downloads may be different for each computer depending on the user preferences.
The user decide what will happen when you click a pdf, not you (the designer of the page).
So nothing is wrong, this is just how it works.

See also:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001114.htm

Intell Challenged

Post by Intell Challenged » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Ok I get it now, It's not what I want my web page to do with it's pdf files, :cry: it's what the user of my web page wants my pdf's to do for them :D .

But then again my wife wanted her computer to open the file so she could read it, and as much as she tried to make her computer do that thru her browser all she could get was she had to down load it and not be allowed to view it. :evil:

I think this web site building aint for me then :x , if I can't have what I want then there no point in me trying to build what I want if I can't have control over it. Seems a crazy set up when I see others having what they want on their web pages yet I can not have it on mine :cry: .

Hey thanks Guys, guess I'll stick to viewing others web sites until I can find some one who can build me a web site that does as I want :D .

Thanks for ya help mush appreciated.

Hooroo
Intell Challenged.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Intell Challenged

Post by Intell Challenged » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:31 am

Thanks Pablo, That solves the wife's computer problem - now all I gotta do is to try and solve mine and find a tutorial that I understand - hopefully a video one where the maker doesn't fly around the screen at a million miles an hour clickin' on everything without giving an explanation as to what for. I think some of the tutorials these people make they seem to think they are in an Olympic Race event where there is a Gold Medal at the end if they can do it the fastest. :lol:

And I love the ones that start off telling you what they are going to show you then part the way in they say 'Whoops I forgot you will need to do this at the start before you get to this point'. Really love those ones. :wink:

Thanks for your help and your advice has been really interesting. Really appreciated. :D
Take Care Stay Safe and Travel Safe.

Hooroo
Intell Challenged