WYSIWYG Database Solution?

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Nomad Soul

WYSIWYG Database Solution?

Post by Nomad Soul »

Hi

I guess this is slightly off topic but I imagine there would be other people in need of this here.

Can anyone recommend a product similar to WYSIWYG Web Builder for creating databases?

Basically I'm looking for something which can create the database on the server, a submission form that will populate the database will text / images etc and a page that can display parts of the database in a website. Ideally it should be possible to embed the code or the page in Web Builder so I can easily integrate the database with my projects.

I've been a customer since WB7 and there has not been any focus on databases which is fine but I need to start looking for solutions now.

Thanks
BaconFries

Re: WYSIWYG Database Solution?

Post by BaconFries »

All of this is already achievable with the program with some knowledge on your part.
Basically I'm looking for something which can create the database on the server
You yourself can already do that by creating the 'Database' manually on the server.
a submission form that will populate the database will text / images etc
Again you yourself can design the layout with the form tools already available but the logic to populate the database will need to be written in php by yourself to complete this.
Ideally it should be possible to embed the code or the page in Web Builder
For external code you can use the following: Add HTML along with the 'File Publisher Object' you can also insert code using 'Page HTML'.

See the following. Note this is a external tool so no support is offered on its use or implementation.PHPMYADMIN

If looking for a PHP generator(s) most are usually paid (At a high cost) then see:

PHP Generator for MySQL

or
PHPRunner
lummis

Post by lummis »

Just to follow up on what BaconFries has said, I did some time ago use PHPRunner before finding WYSIWYG Web Builder. Whilst PHPRunner was strong on its use of databases it left a lot to be desired in the formatting of its output and I found it difficult to integrate into my web pages. I believe that this may have improved since then but for simple database work it is quite expensive. Also you do need to have some knowledge as to how to set up a database to use any PHP generator so there is always going to be a learning curve. If looking for software to help with the database design then Navicat could help but again, it is not cheap and the learning curve doesn't go away.

Looking at your requirements, I think that most of what you want can be achieved by using the database extensions - have you looked at these in the Extension Manager? I currently use the MySQL Connector, MySQL Table Editor and the paid version of Data Viewer which is called Responsive Data Table. With the Login Tools these can do most of the more simple database functions on a website. In my case I use that combination of tools to run a club where the members sign up for events and a list is then displayed of those attending.

Unfortunately there are some things that are not easy to accomplish and where I would be helped with a bit more flexibility in adding my own SQL queries in addition to the basic ones provided, but I recognise that it is not a priority for Pablo as it is not something that most web designers need.

As an aside, I did once try a piece of software called EasyGen which is still available and is now free as the publisher decided to stop development. It was an excellent tool for dynamic websites but again its drawback was the lack of being able to use good design. The concept however was very good and made extracting information from a database very easy and particularly good for a one page website where all the details where grabbed from a database to make it dynamic.

Brian
Jorus

Post by Jorus »

Concerning the MySQL Connector: is it possible to get data from a field from the database from a specific user? Or does it requires additional codes?
I have everything set and working, but after logged in and loading the page where I add the MySQL Connector, I get in my editbox the data from the field from a different user, I did use a protectpage tool though..
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Jorus

Post by Jorus »

Thank you for the attention, it looks exactly like what I was searching for : )