QR code

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Billywiz

QR code

Post by Billywiz »

I want to place an apk file on the server and create a QR code that points to it, is it possible to be able to install this apk by pointing an Android device at the code and the apk will be downloaded to that android. I don't want the visitor to have to download the file and then install it from the downloaded location.

Cheers
The Cheapest Car Hire, Worldwide.

Summit Car Hire
betwixt

Re: QR code

Post by betwixt »

The QR code link will be sent to the device that reads it. All you are doing on the web site is providing the link in a graphical format.

Brian.
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Thanks for the input, I know that the file will be downloaded to the viewers device and then they can install the apk file from their device but is it possible that when the point their phone at the QR that links to the apk it will load the app direct in the same way that they can load the app direct from Google Play.

Cheers

Summit Car Hire
zinc

Post by zinc »

Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Thanks zinc, I wouldn't have the faintest idea where or how to use this. :|

Cheers

Summit Car Hire
zinc

Post by zinc »

Billywiz wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 am Thanks zinc, I wouldn't have the faintest idea where or how to use this. :|

Cheers
I did make an extension for QR long time ago

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55057&p=274299&hil ... de#p274299

If I find the file, will let you know.
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Thanks zinc, I do have a QR code generator and I have created one that links to the apk app file on the server but I want it to open that file and not download it to the android device in the same way that you can link to say a pdf file and download it or have it open.
What happens when the QR code is imaged on an Android device is that the file location is recognised and downloaded to the device, from there it is up to the person whether to open that file or not. What I want to happen is when the QR code is imaged on a device the apk app file installs directly onto their Android device as an app ready to use.

Cheers

Summit Car Hire
zinc

Post by zinc »

Billywiz wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:55 pm Thanks zinc, I do have a QR code generator and I have created one that links to the apk app file on the server but I want it to open that file and not download it to the android device in the same way that you can link to say a pdf file and download it or have it open.
What happens when the QR code is imaged on an Android device is that the file location is recognised and downloaded to the device, from there it is up to the person whether to open that file or not. What I want to happen is when the QR code is imaged on a device the apk app file installs directly onto their Android device as an app ready to use.

Cheers
I see.
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

Can't you create a QR link to the Google store for the app?
QR is nothing more than a way of representing text, in itself it has no functionality but the link or file extension might be recognized and activate something in the device's OS. That isn't something you can control in Wysiwygwebbuilder.

Brian.
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Hi, the app isn't in the Google store its an apk I made and resides on the server, I do realise that the QR is just an image as such and I could've used text or an image on my PC to link to the file but that isn't what I need. I need the apk to install itself on the device that uses the link and the easiest way to create a link for Android mobiles is a QR code in the same way that I would place an executable file on the server and create a link to it so that it installs on a device (I know that exe files are sometimes not allowed) but thought an apk file would be different.

Summit Car Hire
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Moved to 'Off Topic Section' where more suited.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

it will load the app direct in the same way that they can load the app direct from Google Play.
This works because the end user gives there agreement to install by clicking accept which allows it to be downloaded and installed. The QR code is in reality just a 'Fancy' link and will just downloads the app.

Now for security reasons Android and possibly IOS (can really say about ios) blocks the install unless under the phones settings 'Security' you have ticked/checked install from Unknown sources. Once this has been selected the app should install with some user interaction by clicking on some steps till installed.

This is my understanding of how it will work, as I often backup all the apps I use so that in the event of a phone/tablet error I can sideload/install the apps again without going to the 'Play Store' but could be wrong. Note the reason it works as it does with the 'Play Store' is because it is deemed 'Safe' so the app/apk will install with or without the 'Unknown source' being checked or not.
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Thanks Baconfries, that makes sense about the security settings, I will put a reminder on the page somewhere.

Cheers

Summit Car Hire
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Your welcome. I haven't used but take a look at the following APK Instal it may help you.
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Thanks Baconfries, looks interesting, I'll give it a try and report back.

Cheers

Summit Car Hire
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Baconfries, well I gave it a go but all it does is generate a QR code for the app (which is what I do) and even though I "Allow installation of apps from unknown sources" in security it does not install the app from the QR.
I am now thinking I will have to publish to Google store to get it to load automatically, Thanks all for trying.

Cheers

Summit Car Hire