[rz] Elegant Scroll *** UPD 2016-Jul-02 ***

This section contains extensions that were created by [rz] who has sadly passed away.
These extensions are no longer available, but the discussions may still be helpful for some users.
Forum rules
*** IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING [RZ] EXTENSIONS ***

This section contains extensions that were created by [rz] who has sadly passed away.
These extensions are no longer available or supported, but the discussions may still be helpful for some users.
[RZ]

[rz] Elegant Scroll *** UPD 2016-Jul-02 ***

Post by [RZ] »

[rz] Elegant Scroll v1.0.5.1

This extreme lightweight extension allows you to perform a smooth page scroll to an anchor ("bookmark") on the same page with versatile configurations.

HTML 4.01 Transitional
W3C compliant

DEMO

How to use?

1. Design your (large and/or wide) page as you usually do.
2. Add the properly placed anchors (bookmarks - please read the crystal clear wb help and documentation on how to make links with bookmarks to the same page).
3. Add the [rz] Elegant Scroll and set up its fx parameters (just a few ones!).

* New in version 1.0.5.1:

- Improved compatibility with newer jQuery versions while preserving support and compatibility with older ones.

* New in version 1.0.5:

- Added more cycle modes/behavior.
- Improved the optional object handling.
- External library files.

* New in version 1.0.4.2:

- Improved backward and crossbrowser compatibility.
- Page alignment requirement/limitation has been deprecated and removed (see notes) - allowing a better experience and performance with [rz] Adaptive Framework.
- Improved code for newer jQuery versions.

* New in version 1.0.4.1:

- Workaround for a rounding issue in jQuery and IE10/IE11 causing a not needed function call (noticeable under specific/advanced scenarios).
- Improved parser for onscrollstart and onscrollend virtual events.

* New in version 1.0.4:

- Optional object to be shown during the scroll process.
- Nine predefined positions with customizable horizontal and vertical offsets.
- Adjustable speed for the fade-in and fade-out effects to apply to the object to be shown.
- Custom function calls for onscrollstart and onscrollend virtual events.

* New in version 1.0.3.3:

-Added "Cycle mode" feature: "full and chained" (no wait to complete the cycle but each cycle is fully done), "full and not chained" (must wait the cycle to be completed) and "cancelable" (the current cycle is stopped and continue with the next cycle faster).

* New in version 1.0.3.2:

-Added compatibility with [rz] Preloaded Links extensions.
-Added support for WB jQuery Tabs.
-Quirks mode support.

* Important note (DEPRECATED)

In page properties, you must select a center page option, this means, you cannot have the "Do not center this page in the browser window" option selected.
If you have a long design, you should select the "Center this page in the browser window horizontally".
If you have a wide design, you should select the "Center this page in the browser window horizontally and vertically".
If you don't want any alignments, you must select the "Align to left, but include width/height (recommended for eBay)" option.

* Important note

If you do not want to use any page alignment, there may be some browser-specific limitations; in order to avoid them, just use jQuery 1.11.1 or later versions.
If you need to use previous jQuery versions like 1.7.2, you must select a page alignment.

Enjoy!
Last edited by [RZ] on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 13 times in total.
protectourlands

Re: Elegant Scroll

Post by protectourlands »

This is very cool RZ. I am doing a re-design on a site and this will come in handy. Thank you for sharing it.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

thank you!
feedback always encourages to continue and improve...
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

WOW RZ U ROK ;-)
Check the new Chat GPT and Malware detect extensions at the link below

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
---------------------------------------------------------
www.Lucknowwebs.com
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

oh! thank you, me!
madebyibloo

Post by madebyibloo »

Wow! nearly missed this one! great work as always Rz! thanks!

Cheers,
Scott
Cheers,
Scott

www.madebyibloo.com - a creative design studio.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

thank you, scott!
as i always say, feedback encourages to continue and improve.
or, at least, to try to :)
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

i'm sorry, i took a deeper look and i confirm you are right.
in some "special cases" the extension won't work.
i'll be back on monday. i hope i can fix it in the same day. i'll be posting an update as soon as i can.
apologies for the inconveniences.
meantime you can continue your design as usual, the fix won't generate any extra-work.
[RZ]

Re: Elegant Scroll *** UPDATED Jul-28-2012 ***

Post by [RZ] »

fix already available, please redownload (and reinstall).
thank you for your report.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

good!
(thank you for your report.)
presto

Post by presto »

May be stupid question:
How can I manage - when scrolling to a certain bookmark or id - that the content of that div is always at the top of the viewport?
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

i cannot understand your question or what you are trying to do.
presto

Post by presto »

What I mean is: When I set a link to a specific bookmark or id and I scroll to it, then it happens that this specific bookmark is not at the top of the screen (viewport) but in its middle or at the end. But I would like to have the item, after I have scrolled to it, at the top of the page (screen, viewport).
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

please read the wwb help files about links with bookmarks.
besides this, i can't understand what you are trying to do. if you mean the menu that links to, you must put this menu into a sticky or docked layer. anyhow, it is not related at all to this extension; again, please refer to the wwb help files about sticky/docked layers.
with kind regards.
presto

Post by presto »

I apologize for my english since i am not a native speaker. So I try to make clear what I mean in very easy sentences. I am aware about how to set links to bookmarks. This is not my problem at all. Everything works fine except one thing that is driving me crazy.

I have a link let's say from a menu to a picture on the same page. All I want is that after my page has scrolled to that picture this picture is at the top of my screen. In some cases it is at the center of the page or at the bottom. How can I manage that it is always at the top? This is not only behavior with the Elegant Scroll Extension but this is behavior with normal scroll to a bookmark.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

i can't understand you. what are you trying to do?
the link you click on is an image and then the page scrolls to the bookmark position?
if you want that image to be fixed, move it into a sticky layer.
as far as i can understand from your post is "is not only behavior with the Elegant Scroll Extension but this is behavior with normal scroll to a bookmark"; so, what do you expect from me?
please post a sample.
presto

Post by presto »

How are you able to understand me when you do not read properly what I have written. You wrote in your answer "the link you click on is an image and then the page scrolls to the bookmark position?"

I had written the exact contrary. I wrote that I have a link in a MENU (#picture_1), the target of that link is a PICTURE (id="picture_1"). When I click on the menu then the page scrolls to the picture. Okay, fine so far, that is what it is supposed to do.

My question was regarding the position of the picture (or any other target) after the scroll. I would like to have it allways at the top of the viewport after the scroll. In some cases this does not happen. And I was wondering why respectively how I can change that.

So, if you do not know the answer to my question, please tell me, it's perfectly ok. But stop telling me that I ask not understandable questions as long as you do not read my question properly.

Thank you for your efforts anyway.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

sorry, i can't remember... did you pay me? or i'm trying to help you for free?
you are impolite and ungrateful! or you just laugh at me?
even if you paid me does not entitle you to disrespect.
please don't use the extension and delete it if you can't find it useful.
fortunately other users find my extensions and my help useful.
presto

Post by presto »

Well, so you think I am impolite, although I used the terms "please" and "thankyou". And again I am afraid you read things I never even have intendet to say. I never told you that I don't like your extension (actually I really like all of them and you have done an excellent work) nor did I tell you that I find it unusefull. If that was the case, I wouldn't repeat my question again and again.

I personaly think it is a bit unpatient not to read my question properly, therefore to make non appropriate conclusions and to tell me that I should read the helpfile to understand some basics.

So, my dear friend, in conclusion, may I simply wish you Shalom.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

you first posted that your english is not your mother tongue.
well, mine neither...
i just tried to answer and help you as fast as i can.
viewport is not the same thing as the viewable area of the browser. so, i may got confused.
sorry, lets start again and from scratch.

if you maximize your browser, your content may result not so long as needed to show the pointed element at the top of the browser's area. if this is the case, you must add a dummy blank space at the bottom of the content. so it seems to be "misplaced", but actually this is the way that all browsers behave.

Code: Select all

browser  short content   long content
|     |  xxxxxxx           xxxxxx
|     |  xxxxx             xxxxxxxx
*-----*  xxxxxxx           xxxxxx
         xxxxxx            xxxxxxx
                           xxxxxxx
                           xxxx
                           xxxxxxx 
if you place a bookmark at the third line, the short content won't have enough content to scroll down, but if you place it at the same place but in the long content, so, the content will scroll more down (and the pointed object will seem it is at the top of the viewable area of your browser).
hope this can clear up the misunderstandings.

shalom for you too.
presto

Post by presto »

Thank you very much. Your explanation was very helpful to me. Sorry again for the confusion.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

no problem.
apologies from me too for the misunderstandings...
presto

Post by presto »

I have a slight problem with the Elegant Sroll Extension (which I like pretty much) in combination with jQueryTabs. Doubleclicking on the title of an active tab makes the complete jQueryTab scrolling to the very top of the page what is not desired. Is it possible to avoid this? May be just with some lines of jQuery javascript which I can add manually to my page in order to make tabs non-scrollable.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

i'm sorry, the way jquery tabs was designed and the way this extensions works, each one overlaps the work of the other.
i think about three possibilities:

1. build a patch for jquery tabs
2. put your jquery tabs in an individual page and in you main page put an iframe pointing to the subpage with the jquery object
3. wait for an extension upgrade

well...

1. in my humble opinion, it doesn't make sense, because may be other objects that may work the same way
2. it is the solution we can have right now at hand and works fine with any other object that can cause the same conflict
3. i have no time frame for this, it may take me a few days to make and full test the modification; i can take a look at this only on next monday

i think the option #2 is [temporarily] the best; anyhow, i will try to make an update as soon as i can.

thank you for your interest in this extension
Last edited by [RZ] on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
presto

Post by presto »

Thank you for your quick reply.

The "issue" is quite simple: Since the tabs of an jQueryTab have "a href="#jquerytabs1-page-0" etc. the doubleclick will trigger your extension.

<div id="jQueryTabs1" style="position:absolute;width:958px;height:640px;">
<ul>
<li><a href="#jquerytabs1-page-0"><span>Item 1</span></a></li>
<li><a href="#jquerytabs1-page-1"><span>Item 2</span></a></li>
<li><a href="#jquerytabs1-page-2"><span>Item 3</span></a></li>
<li><a href="#jquerytabs1-page-3"><span>Item 4</span></a></li>
</ul>
</div>

I have a project I am still working on (where I detected the issue). I could upload it to a server if it's neccessary to you to see it in action. But actually I would prefer if not. Anyway thank you for your efforts.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

i edited my post while you was posting yours...

don't worry, you don't need to post a sample.
i looked at the source and now i know how it works (i'm not familiar with the jquery tabs).
the issue is not so quiet simple, because both extensions have almost the same method, this is the reason that they "overlap" the work of the other one.
please take a second read to my previous post.
hope this helps until i can improve the extension as soon as possible
presto

Post by presto »

Ah, now I see that you had already given a more complete answer to my question. So my post is obsolet.

The proposed solution #2 is not really satisfying me since the idea of the project is to have a one-page-site. :D For that reason your extension is marvellous - and solution #2 was a bit contradictionary. In addition withe the link to a certain tab I not only scroll to the tab but at the same time activate a specific tab and also activate an accordion on the tab.

Example: href:"index.html#bookmark_adressen" onclick="{$('#jQueryTabs1').tabs('select',0);$('#jQueryAccordion1_id').accordion('activate',0)}

So this wouldn't work with an iframe.

Could you help me with building a patch, I am not an expert with jQuery and javascript although I have made some scripts already, but more by reading and then proceding with a lot of trial and error. If it is not to time consumimg to you I would appreciate tha very much.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

a patch will take me [at least] twice the time for an extension update... moreover, you will need to install this patch... so i think the effort won't worth.
don't worry about your one-page-design, although you have an iframe, you visually still have one page...
i think it is the fastest [temporarily] solution until i build an extension update.
just need a bit of patience... i'm too busy this week and i don't like to release a code with bugs or not well tested.
with regards.
presto

Post by presto »

[RZ] wrote: i don't like to release a code with bugs or not well tested
So do I. I will be waiting for an update to come. Since then I hope that no user will click on an open tab. :wink: If so, nothing real bad will happen, anyway. Thanks for your support.
jordan

Post by jordan »

hi [rz],

I'm sure you would find a fix but maybe this can help
if it's just to exclude WB jquery tabs you could do it by adding a filter to your code

if(document.compatMode!="BackCompat"){$('a[href*=#]').not('a[href*="jquerytabs"]').click(function(){ …

maybe this saves you some time ? . :) .

regards,

=======================================================================================
=======================================================================================

@presto

hi presto,

you could also solve it by adding this between the <HEAD> of your page
===============================
<script type="text/javascript">
$(function (){$('#jQueryTabs1 a').on('click',function(){$(this).parent().addClass('scrollable_navigation')})})
</script>
presto

Post by presto »

Hi Jordan,

thank you very much for your ideas and your support.

On the first glance your function seems to work fine - but with only one exception:

When you call or refresh a page then one tab is already set to "active". Now clicking on this active tab it triggers the scroll and only after that the class is added. If you at first click on an inactive tab, your function does what it is supposed to do.

Any idea how to solve that?

Edit: I have changed the event from "click" to "mouseenter" and it works. But I still have to test it on an iPad.

Best regards from Germany
jordan

Post by jordan »

hehe presto your question actually makes for a simpler solution … replace what I wrote for ...

<script type="text/javascript">
$(function (){setTimeout(function() {$('#jQueryTabs1 li').addClass('scrollable_navigation')}, 0)});
</script>
presto

Post by presto »

Thanks jordan, it works great.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

@jordan
in my humble opinion, this way you force the user to remember to add/edit/remove a patch for each jquery tabs he may add, delete or modify... otherwise the page will have runtime errors.
@presto
seeing you are fine with the jordan's patch, i decided not to release an update.

with regards
jordan

Post by jordan »

[RZ] wrote:@jordan
in my humble opinion, this way you force the user to remember to add/edit/remove a patch for each jquery tabs he may add, delete or modify... otherwise the page will have runtime errors.
@presto
seeing you are fine with the jordan's patch, i decided not to release an update.

with regards
hi rz

wow, don't know where this comes from… but …
which runtime errors ? there are no runtime errors even if you remove or add a 100 WB jQueryTabs-sss ?
I was just trying to help, it appears you don't like that, so from now on I will stay out of your way, no problemO!
if you think it's a bad solution then why not release a better solution, I hope you create an extension solution for presto despite any personal dislike(?)

cheers and have a nice day anyway! . :shock: .
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

no jordan, you took this 100% wrong.
anyway, i tell what/where i meant run time errors:
$(function (){setTimeout(function() {$('#jQueryTabs1 li').addClass('scrollable_navigation')}, 0)});

you must correctly type in the #object_id, or change it, or add new lines like this one for every jquery tabs object you add/remove/modify[its id], not for every tab you add/remove in the jquery tabs object.

for a not so advanced user (i'm not meaning any member, just an example) this may be not so clear if some time he changes something in the design.
if the function points to a non existent #selector, the page will have errors.

where i said "a bad solution"? instead of this, i said "in my humble opinion, this way you force the user to remember... [etc]"

if the user is happy with your code, and is working fine for him, why i need to reinvent the wheel?
as i stated, i'm not familiar with the jquery tabs object, i just looked at the generated code and i must be 100% sure how it works, and if there are other variants that can be generated in the code depending on the object's settings. that's all...

and btw, i'm not at all as you may think about me, not only i'm not a prideful/arrogant person, also i have no time to be so irritable. again, i gave you my very personal opinion about the proposed line of code, and if the user is happy with it, it is 100% fine and good. hey man, don't be so sensitive lol!

a very nice day for you too!
jordan

Post by jordan »

the point that made me frown was not if you liked my help or not
if you don't you don't, if you do you do, that's a moo point
but the fact that you stated that you would not release an update

a selector like that will not create a runtime error even if you would forget about it ...it would be sloppy
but yes, I think it's better to have an internal extension solution, that was the shock face for, I was convinced you would see it that way too

like I said, I was just trying to help, if you like it then that's great, if you don't that's fine too, no sensitivity here
but not if it hurts a WB user, then it's not a moo point, that was the fuzz of my writing

anyway, presto will be on your tail if he does not like it I suspect . :mrgreen: .
presto

Post by presto »

Hi [rz] and jordan:
both of you have given me a great help to design my site properly. Many thanks to you. There is no need to start to argue, be happy - as I am: I have written my own extension now, just for my personal use, using [rz] original code plus the addition jordan had posted .not('a[href*="jquerytabs"]'). And of course gave credit to [rz] and jordan inside of the extension :D It works excellent with jordans addition and I only can give the advice to [rz] to add this little peace of code to his extension.
Last edited by presto on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

too much for me... and very late here, have a good night men...
[RZ]

Re: Elegant Scroll *** UPDATED Jun-03-2013 ***

Post by [RZ] »

* About new version 1.0.3

Added compatibility with [rz] Preloaded Links extensions.
mnwitten

Post by mnwitten »

[RZ]...I'm running into an repeating issue with all the smooth scrolls including yours. I was hoping you may be able to provide some help or direction.

I put up a test to show this issue. If you browse to http://www.paupackplunge.com/scroll you can click on the "test" text on top and you will notice that it scrolls to the anchor, but not using a smooth scroll. Repeated tries will work...however. But if you browse to http://www.paupackplunge.com/scroll/index.html you can click on the "test" text on top and the smooth scroll works even the first time. I've narrowed this down to the lack of the index.html in the URL. If you watch the brower's address bar, as long as the index.html is there...it works. When it is not there...it doesn't.

Are you aware of any way to correct this? I believe that if the URL contains the page name, everything will work fine. But how do I force this to occur without playing with redirection? Maybe something in htaccess? And I don't want to mess up SEO and indexing of the actual website where I'm looking to use this. I am also surprised that this hasn't been reported to you and the other smooth scroll extension builders as it seems like a real obvious issue. Basically, if you use a smooth scroll on an index page on a .COM, the first smooth scroll will simply jump to the anchor instead of smoothly scrolling.

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

please note that this is not an issue.
you should contact your hosting about the htaccess file, because it may be vary in each service/configuration provider.
you can use the preloader/redirector to avoid the "issue" you are reporting, but if you don't want that solution you should choose for the paid one, but it is undergoing an internal improvement and is not released yet, it can be ready in a few weeks.
Batusz

Post by Batusz »

Dear RZ

I could not scrolling to Bookmark

please send sample file,

Thank you
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

without seeing what you did it is impossible to give an useful advice
anyhow:
have you read the instructions file attached in the downloaded zip?

from the info file:

* Important note

In page properties, you must select a center page option, this means, you cannot have the "Do not center this page in the browser window" option selected.
Batusz

Post by Batusz »

sorry, I'm not doing something right

yes downloaded zip files

1. create big text block
2. I will place the bookmark
3, pageproperties _ Do not center this page in the browser window
4. use extension
5. create button

dont scroll , ..... jump......
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

from the info file:

* Important note

Batusz

Post by Batusz »

yes
3, pageproperties _ NO ..Do not center this page in the browser window

Please check out the attachment
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

it works fine at my end
Batusz