client updating website

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
GrahamW

client updating website

Post by GrahamW »

Just a general question what are WWB users doing for their clients after the site is designed.
1. Do you maintain it
2. Does the client maintain it.

If the client is doing it what CMS program are you getting them to use

Graham
zinc

Re: client updating website

Post by zinc »

Good points G;

I always maintain the sites as an extra service. None of my clients can or are interested to do this.

I have never worked with WWB & CMS so I have no idea.
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
Magical

Post by Magical »

I had one client who took on updating her own site after I created it, within two she called me back, it was late at night and she was pulling her hair out, she had spent 4 hours trying update 3 pages. We settled on two updates (no site modifications, no new pages, no image window resizing) a month for 10% of the cost of the site paid quarterly.

Let them update if they want to update. But explain that once they change the site it is out of sync with the version in your repository. Estimate a re syncing fee, usually 20% of the cost of the original site. If the agree to a yearly contract I typically waive the re-syncing fee.
GrahamW

Post by GrahamW »

Thanks Guys for your input, its always good to see what others offer and how its doene.

I sometimes use cushy cms built into the site, its quick and easy but only downfall is if the client makes a change and then they want you to add something to the template and you then apply your update all their changes are gone.

As Zinc mentioned its probably best to charge the extra fee and be done with it I think

once again thanks

Graham
pajadt

Post by pajadt »

I most do self when is WWB platform do website, also have 3 version offer
1. Offer for custmer which try to learn, or have same knowledge about coding and design where is price for project + $50 for WWB/ my explain is mostly free /
2. Offer where i upload, where i ask before how much many have updates at website, if small update i do free, if have to much update in that case price include 1 years udate at web, where is my full service at web
3. Offer where i create some part CMS, client do self update

If have almost evry day update and customer like to do only with self, i use other platform but price is much expesive;
SIMPLY How much money - that much music
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Its a great post Graham.
My inputs
1 Many people underestimate just what's involved in creating/modifying a website.
2 If the Client wants to it it, it's not "just" about the website. There are so many other contributing factors
2.1 Optimising image attributes as to physical/storage size and other SEO attributes.
2.2 Making the website device friendly, including break point determined good practice on phone/website links (eg use of icons in mobile views instead of text links and removal of phone html links in non mobile device displays)
3 My experience withe the demand for CMS is demographics (your target /geographical market) plays a part. Many of my potential customers are have very tight business operational margins - others (thank goodness only a few) are just PITA unrealistic.
4 I agree wholeheartedly with the client paying for stuff ups.
5 I've used CMS from other programs as a "User" when a second job involved a website supplied by another provider - usually WP and I just can't get my head around the approach and lack of control - obviously I (along with all of us) have been spoiled by the brilliance of WB and Pablo. :D
6 I have used work around html plug ins like Google Calendar and News Feed when needed but not ventured into CMS - something I keep promising to do but just can't find the time.
7 I have on two occasions pointed the Client at WB with some basic instructions and links to the very good online doco - but it's fair to say that hasn't worked so well - purely because the Client concerned can't appreciate the need for a Hubble Telescope learning curve when they expect to build a "I wan't all the bells and whistles" website in 5 seconds.
8 If I DO go down the CMS path the memorandum of understanding (MOU) will be VERY clearly defined as to scope and functional specification.
9 Given that CMS means editing of the website on the server there could be issues with version control.
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia