Slimbox / lose settings after saving/closing WB

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
LJLachance

Slimbox / lose settings after saving/closing WB

Post by LJLachance »

I have a page with individual photos; (4 of them to be specific). I'm trying to use "slimbox" to open them which, when I set the properties works fine (including individual photo settings) on preview as long I have have the project open in WB. In page properties for the page, there is no "default" or "slimbox" under miscellaneous tab - lightbox type to choose. Other lightbox types are available such as "lightbox" "colorbox" "magnificpopup" etc.

The same situation is happening on another page with a single photo that I'm trying to open with "slimbox" - works great while open and preview but after saving AND closing the project, when I open it back up, it resorts back to default of "open in same browser window". And the settings go away...

The problem comes when I save the project. I have tried saving by simply closing the project as well as using "File" "Save" for the individual page but each time I reopen the project, the photos revert to the original settings, ie; open in the same browser window. The choice of "slimbox" AND the individual settings disappear. If I just close the page and reopen it while in the same WB session, the settings remain in place.

The project (WBS) file is large as there are over 30 pages. I don't know how to submit the project with just the page with the issue. I have not published the pages yet because I can't get the settings for the photos / slimbox to stay saved. Again, as long as the project is open, all is good. It's only AFTER I close the project and reopen it later (even immediately after closing the session) that I lose my settings. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry
Pablo

Re: Slimbox / lose settings after saving/closing WB

Post by Pablo »

The project (WBS) file is large as there are over 30 pages. I don't know how to submit the project with just the page with the issue.
- make a copy of the project
- remove all relevant content
- share the stripped project.
- describe the exact steps to reproduce the behavior
in page properties for the page, there is no "default" or "slimbox" under miscellaneous ta
Correct!
Slimbox only works with images , it cannot be used as a page lightbox. Not all (third party) scripts support this functionality.
Note that all lightboxes are third party scripts, they are provided as an extra service, so you do not have add them manually to the page. I do not have any control over which features they have.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Pablo,

Please pardon my ignorance here but...you say
- make a copy of the project
- remove all relevant content
The copy part I understand, I think. Simply copy the WBS file correct? But I don't understand what you mean by remove the relevant content. How does one do that? The .wbs file is 21Mb alone.

Then, to share the stripped project, it's easy enough to upload to the test server so I think I'm good with that...it's the stripping part I can't wrap my head around.

The page properties part I now get, thanks for that.

Exact steps - easy enough, put the photo into the page, select slim box for link to "image" in "images", choose display in lightbox, add the settings for the lightbox and voila. It works great as long as I don't close the project and reopen it. When I reopen, the settings are gone and the default "display in same browser window" is there - as if it never saved the settings or the "open in light box check mark"

Anyway, happy to share if you would be kind enough to point me to directions on how to save / strip / share the wbs file.

Larry
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

But I don't understand what you mean by remove the relevant content. How does one do that?
In the copy of the project remove all content that is not relevant to this issue.
I only need a project with one page and the slimbox object, so I can see what you have done.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Pablo,

It appears that there is something in the "original" file that is causing the issue because, when I save the project and strip out everything else except the two particular pages, the slimbox/lightbox settings are being saved properly and I cannot duplicate the problem. Everything works as it is supposed to. I'm going to just test a few things and see what I can find.

Thanks,

L
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Pablo,

While I do not understand, I believe the issue is now fixed. First I opened my original .wbs file, then used "file" - "save as" and saved the entire project with a new name. Opening the new file, everything worked and the lightbox settings are saving as they are supposed to. Then, I closed the new file and went back and opened my original file. I went to file/save as and saved the file as the original name, overwriting the existing file. Again, the settings are working and saving as intended. I have no idea why this works but it does.

Perhaps it has something to do with my update to the latest WB version? I don't know, but whatever it is, I am able to get back to it.

Thanks for the impetus to do something different.

Larry
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Perhaps it has something to do with my update to the latest WB version?
I doubt that. Saving files and settings is standard Windows functionality. It has not changed since version 1.0

It's more likely a permissions/access rights related issue on your computer.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Well sir, whatever it was - it's working again so thanks for the input and the assistance. As always, your help is tremendously appreciated.

L
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

I'm back with the exact same issue, this time with a possible cause - but I still don't really know what's causing the issue.

I did not realize when I first asked this question that I had just returned from a trip where I did exactly the same thing.

I have two computers, in two different cities. When I go to the 2nd location, I first copy my entire WB file to my external hard drive, then when I arrive, I copy the file to the 2nd computer so I can work on it while I'm away for extended periods.

On my return I do the same thing.

What I've discovered is that when I first copy the file to the external drive - all of the lightbox/fancybox etc., settings disappear. So now I need to ask ... is there a better way to travel with my WBS file intact? Or is there a better way to backup and restore the entire file when I travel back and forth?

Thanks for listening.

Larry
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Thanks Pablo this is helpful - I'll try something different for copying/backing up my file before the next trip to see if I can get it to hold settings. I will ask - is there anyplace in the html/css or other (already published and uploaded) documents where I can look to retrieve the settings I used in the lightbox. While the settings are lost on my local project for now, the pages online are still working with the proper settings. Unfortunately, I did not make a copy of those settings so it would be nice if I could open a particular css or html to retrieve the settings I used on a particular page.

Thanks again
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Ligthbox settings are stored in the project, so you should not lose them.
You can access them via 'options' or 'settings' depending where you have added them.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Pablo, please hit me over the head with something... When you say "options or settings" ... where exactly are you talking about? "File/Options" where all the basics are setup? Please advise how to get to options or settings. Also, it's interesting, I've just discovered that IF I have a button or shape that triggers an image in a lightbox, the settings remain. But if I have a photo that I use the "link" to set up "open in a lightbox" these "lightbox settings" have disappeared from every page on the site locally.

I'll take any ideas or suggestions -

Thanks
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I am referring the option of the lightbox that you are using.
For example, if you are using a lightbox in a photo gallery then the you can set the options via the 'Options' button (at the right of the lightbox selection).
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/lightboxes.html
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

This, I believe, is specifically where the settings are getting lost (or made to disappear) except I'm not using the lightboxes for galleries, rather for individual images on different pages;

For example - I create a page (I'm using layout grids with breakpoints and a master frame for the header and footer for all of my pages) - For each
new page, in page properties, I select the master frame and change the default (magnific) lightbox type to "fancybox". (I have tried leaving the default as well). I add a few layout grids with text and photos/images, building the page, until I get to an image I want to open in a light box. When I get to that image, I doubleclick the image, open up the "link" tab, go to "target window or frame", select "open in a lightbox", click on settings, select the type of lightbox (in this case "fancybox") and I enter my settings, for example:

'transitionIn':'elastic',
'transitionOut':'elastic',
'speedIn':1100,
'speedOut':1100,
'overlayShow':true,
'overlayColor':'#000000',
'titleShow':true,
'titlePosition':'outside',
'showNavArrows':false,
width:827,
height:576

When I'm done working with the project, I either choose "save" first and close the project OR I simply close the project at which point I'm asked if I want to save it to which I reply "yes".

This is all good and it works fine until I copy the entire site/project folder to my external drive. It is at this point I believe the problem occurs. IF I open the project ON my external drive - these entered settings are the settings that have disappeared (as in my first post).

When I look at "link" "target window or frame" the "open in a light box" previously selected has disappeared and the "target window or frame" has reverted to the default of "open in the same browser window".

I've tried two methods to copy to my external drive: 1) simply drop the entire project folder (images and all) using a copy and paste method and 2) using "filesynch" software to copy just those items that have changed from my previous copy. In both cases, the same result.

I think this copying back and forth caused all pages with lightboxes (of which there are 20+ pages with at least one lightbox) to revert back to the default of "open in the same browser window" with the settings originally in place, gone. Even when I open the image and attempt to change it back to "open in a lightbox" everything there is defaulted as if brand new.

As an aside, when I first installed WB it installed directly to the "documents" folder as WYSIWYG Web Builder. My project is stored in a subfolder of a separate folder named "My Web"/"current site", along with a copy of the "system" folder containing all of the extensions. The originally installed folder remains in place and that is where all of the automatic backups are created.

Also, I am using different lightboxes on different pages - sometimes "slimbox", sometimes "fancybox" and I think once I used "prettyPhoto".

My previous question, about where can I look to see what settings I used, was meant to ask if I can go to the live site on the server and use "developer tools" or "view page source" to see specifically what settings I used on any given image so that I don't have to recreate each setting from scratch. I've used different effects in many of the images and different sizes in each image.

For example: on my website at www.lachance.org/home_org.php - about halfway to the bottom, I have an image of associated with "My Goal" - of a hockey goalie. That image opens in a previously configured "lightbox". In the project itself on my local PC, those settings have reverted to the default. I'm trying to find those settings by viewing (on the live site) the page source or one of the "lightbox css" pages but can't seem to find them. They must be there somewhere...

Sorry for the long description but it appears I am doing something, or have set something, wrong, otherwise I wouldn't lose information when copying. As long as I keep the project on my PC - everything is fine. It seems that only when I try to save it somewhere else and open that copy, that there is an issue. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize this until I had already copied the folder back to my base PC and spent a couple days working on it at which point it was too late to correct or use a backup.

Thanks for listening...
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This is all good and it works fine until I copy the entire site/project folder to my external drive.
I doubt that moving the project will change the options of the lightbox. But maybe the selected lightbox does not exist on the other computer? In which case the target will be set to default?
Make sure all add-ins and extensions are the dame on both computers.

I'm sure you can get the options from the page HTML. However,. I cannot help to go through all the code of the pages, because for me it may also take a lot of time to figure out what you have done.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

hmmm, now that I think about it, I guess it is possible that I don't have all of the add-ins and extensions the same on both pc's. I didn't check to see if I could open from the external drive before I made my changes, but when I did copy, the extensions folder was with it. I'll go looking at the page html and see what I can find. And I'll do some experimenting to see what I'm doing that's causing this to happen. As always, thank you for your support and for looking into this. I'm sure, given enough time, I'll figure it out.