Google Maps - Show in Greyscale

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
Starb7

Google Maps - Show in Greyscale

Post by Starb7 »

Hi All

Does anyone know how to show a Google maps in Greyscale/mono using the google API embedded as HTML? No probs creating a colour version but can't find out how to make it mono. TIA
BaconFries

Re: Google Maps - Show in Greyscale

Post by BaconFries »

Starb7

Post by Starb7 »

Always a bit wary about the paid for ones... perfect example in this case - click the demo and see what you get ;) Last thing you want to see on your site.

Cheers.
zinc

Post by zinc »

Starb7 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 pm Always a bit wary about the paid for ones... perfect example in this case - click the demo and see what you get ;) Last thing you want to see on your site.

Cheers.
Why? This has nothing to do with RZ, Google has changed its rules and now requires you to have/obtain an API key
Last edited by zinc on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Always a bit wary about the paid for ones.
Why?!! as zincs reply this has nothing to do with it being a extension whether it paid or free it is down to Google requiring a API Key before it will render
Starb7

Post by Starb7 »

Why? Just personal choice - because sometimes they fail and the originator is no longer about or doesn't want to update. This is not limited to WWB, I find this with a lot of dev tools (and as a Linux user, I avoid non-repo based s/w installs) as I have been caught out with some third party addons. I will however add there are some excellent add-ons and I have used some of them and wouldn't put anyone off from using them.
zinc

Post by zinc »

Starb7 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:26 pm Why? Just personal choice - because sometimes they fail and the originator is no longer about or doesn't want to update. This is not limited to WWB, I find this with a lot of dev tools (and as a Linux user, I avoid non-repo based s/w installs) as I have been caught out with some third party addons. I will however add there are some excellent add-ons and I have used some of them and wouldn't put anyone off from using them.
In this case your observation about this developer is wrong. Good luck with your further endeavours...
Starb7

Post by Starb7 »

Nice to know Zinc and thanks for the good luck wishes, much appreciated.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Note that there is also a 'Google Maps Grayscale' block available in 'Blocks Pack2':
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/free_extras.html

See also:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/blocks.html
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Shouldn't the map render on the Demo page, why would I need an API to view this page. surely I would only need the API keys if I placed the extension on my website and uploaded it to my webspace.
The Cheapest Car Hire, Worldwide.

Summit Car Hire
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You always need an API key, otherwise Google does not allow access to the maps.
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

So if I placed a map on my website with the relevant API keys then a visitor to my website would need an API to view it, how does that work ?

Summit Car Hire
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

No, you need to enter the API key in the properties.
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Pablo, I think we've got crossed wires here, Starb7 said he was wary because the demo on RZ's site cannot be viewed so may not work on his site if he purchased it, perhaps RZ didn't included the API's in the map so shows error "This page can't load Google Maps correctly"
Your solution of using the block is perfect.

Summit Car Hire
zinc

Post by zinc »

Billywiz wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:39 am Pablo, I think we've got crossed wires here, Starb7 said he was wary because the demo on RZ's site cannot be viewed so may not work on his site if he purchased it, perhaps RZ didn't included the API's in the map so shows error "This page can't load Google Maps correctly"
Your solution of using the block is perfect.
I gave Starb7 a link and an example that [rz] maps does work PROVIDED you add an API key. The fact that the demo does not work is perhaps the developer does not want to obtain a key. This is not to say it is not working.

Having said that, it is very pointless to offer any solution that actually works and involves parting with money on this forum as most are looking for freebies...
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Hi zinc, I never implied or suggested that this extension doesn't work but I can't see the point of putting a demo up
to view before purchasing if you cannot see it working.

Summit Car Hire
[RZ]

Post by [RZ] »

i did not enter an apikey because was not required until google changed the rules
of course, the extension DOES work, otherwise i would removed it from the shopping site
the idea to have a demo was to show a sample, however, nowadays this became obsolete and i won't pay for an api key just to have an active demo when many professional developers know that it works
new potential customers that contacted me have seen the extension working on other sites; also the member called zinc gently posted a link to show an actual, live and working [btw, awarded] site
having here a forum, with active and collaborative members that eventually post their work, i don't see the point to pay for just to have a demo, i think a google maps gateway is not the incomes source for anyone...
that's all and move on dear mates...
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Thread locked as answers given that are enough to show the alternatives that can be used to what is needed.