Website with No Grids?

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
StudentDonald

Website with No Grids?

Post by StudentDonald »

With all the hype and hoopla about the various grids, I thought I would give them a try with the end result being grid lock. Either too complicated and/or just not getting the control I want.

1.) So will a site with normal header/footer, content and breakpoints still work across the various browsers, OS's of today and the future?

2.) Is anyone still creating sites without a grid?

Thanks a lot!
Pablo

Re: Website with No Grids?

Post by Pablo »

1.) So will a site with normal header/footer, content and breakpoints still work across the various browsers, OS's of today and the future?
yes
yes, it is just a different way of creating websites.

Related tutorial:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/layout_modes.html
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

StudentDonald wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm With all the hype and hoopla about the various grids, I thought I would give them a try with the end result being grid lock. Either too complicated and/or just not getting the control I want.

Thanks a lot!
I haven't used grids at all. I just create mulitple breakpoints. If you want to see one I've done, feel free to browse around here http://test.giantsseat.org.uk/ with a phone, tablet or PC and whatever browsers you want (it is still in test phase, so I can't guarantee that everything works).

Do let me know if you find any bugs/issues.

Alan
Nicolajazz

Post by Nicolajazz »

I never used grid.
It appears to me that grids are good for single-page sites, home page or sites with few pages.

I need more control about layout so I continue to use the old breakpoints.
StudentDonald

Post by StudentDonald »

Thanks Pablo, Alan and Nicola

Alan, you are well on your way and smooth transitions with the break points. My 2 cents, when dragging the browser window smaller your menu bar goes to the top of the page with no margin/gap. On at least one page the text overlaps. On the activities page the font looks small. Old rule is 16-18 points for smartphones but that may have changed with the bigger phones. And I'm probably the last person who should be reviewing your site. So when your ready post it in the "Showcase your website ........................and invite feedback".

Best Regards
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I never used grid.
It appears to me that grids are good for single-page sites, home page or sites with few pages.
I don't agree.

Just my 2 cents here but I use layout grids/floating layers more often than not and starting to infuse flexgrid into my designs more and more and I still use breakpoints when needed. I can't imagine myself going back to only just creating fixed sites with breakpoints. I know there is a bit more control in placing things where you want them but, with so many different screen widths out there, I like the fact that using grids makes it easier for the content to fit any size screen. I will admit, sometimes it takes some creativity or thinking outside of the box to get the desired look your are after. Keep in mind, if there is something that you cant achieve with a layout grid, you can still use a floating layer to put objects where you want them and still incorporate breakpoints. This allows you to still have a lot of control in creating a flexible layout. Keep practicing and it WILL get easier. :D
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

StudentDonald wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 am Thanks Pablo, Alan and Nicola

Alan, you are well on your way and smooth transitions with the break points. My 2 cents, when dragging the browser window smaller your menu bar goes to the top of the page with no margin/gap. On at least one page the text overlaps. On the activities page the font looks small. Old rule is 16-18 points for smartphones but that may have changed with the bigger phones. And I'm probably the last person who should be reviewing your site. So when your ready post it in the "Showcase your website ........................and invite feedback".

Best Regards
Thanks for the feedback. Which page has text overlapping?

As to the menus right at the top, that is deliberate. My feeling is that the user will use one particular size and not keep making their pages smaller and bigger. I also try smaller sizes on a smartphone/tablet and haven't noticed the text too small. But I will revisit the activities page.

Thanks for the feedback

Alan
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

What Crispy68 said...once you get used to grids/flexbox you probably won't want to go back to straight breakpoints but you can still incorporate them into your designs.
StudentDonald

Post by StudentDonald »

I’m going to reluctantly agree with crispy68 and bk, for the 2 sites I’m working on is mostly text with a few images. So I will give the grids another try. (Back to School)

(I have an I-phone 4s and a site using bootstrap looks fine. Another site uses CSS grids for the page content and it will not even load and locks up.)

Have some questions but I will start a new post for those.

Thanks everyone for your help!