*** SOLVED *** WWB15 not opening

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
Idler

*** SOLVED *** WWB15 not opening

Post by Idler »

Hi

I have been using WWB for many years. I downloaded the recent update and now the software will not launch/open. I have uninstalled and re-installed the software but this doesn't help, it still won't launch. Any help much appreciated.

I
Pablo

Re: WWB15 not opening

Post by Pablo »

This most likely an issue of your firewall or virusscanner.
Make sure webbuilder.exe is on the safe list or else contact the makers of the firewall / virusscanner for an update.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Hi Pablo

I turned off my anti-virus and WWB15 still wouldn't launch. This is very strange as I have been using WWB for many years and never had this probably. Could it be anything else?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

A few other users also had this problem and in all cases it was related to the firewall or virusscanner.
There has never been another reason for the software not launching.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:17 pm A few other users also had this problem and it all cases it was related to the firewall or virusscanner.
There has never been another reason for the software not launching.
Hi Pablo

I have done everything I can. I have turned off Windows Defender Firewall and turned off Kaspersky and it still doesn't open. I have added webbuilder.exe to the 'allowed list' too. Is there something else I need to do?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This should work.
But maybe Kaspersky support can help you?
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Do you have another PC you can try it on?

Alan
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:20 pm This should work.
But maybe Kaspersky support can help you?
The first thing I did after you said it could be my anti-virus software was to contact Kaspersky support. They suggested many things that didn't work so they finally advised me to just turn it off. I completely turned it off and tried to open WWB15 but no success so I believe it cannot be linked to Kaspersky. I have turned off Windows Defender too. I have tried opening WWB15 both connected and not connected to the internet. I am at a loss as to what to do as it was working fine before I downloaded the most recent update. I have been using WWB for over ten years and never had this problem. Please help.
Idler

Post by Idler »

alan_sh wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:42 pm Do you have another PC you can try it on?

Alan
I am currently in UK quarantine but I will be able to try it on another computer next week. However, I need to work on some sites before then. :(
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

There is nothing else I can think of that can prevent the application from running.
The latest update works for all other users so I am pretty sure that nothing is wrong with the application.
As previously mentioned there have been other users in the past with the same problem, in all cases this was related to the virusscanner or firewall.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:57 am There is nothing else I can think of that can prevent the application from running.
The latest update works for all other users so I am pretty sure that nothing is wrong with the application.
As previously mentioned there have been other users in the past with the same problem, in all cases this was related to the virusscanner or firewall.
I appreciate that. I just wondered if you had some advice on what I am doing wrong given that I have turned off Kaspersky? What else can I do? Do you have any links that can walk me through the various things that I need to do to help get WWB15 open?
zinc

Post by zinc »

1. Reboot your PC
2. Switch off the AV and ignore the warnings
3. Run WWB and see if it starts. If it does, do your work and once finished switch the AV back on. This way you will be able to establish if WWB is in the blacklist or not.
4. If so add it to the Whitelist.

This should do the trick. I have had this with another software and it worked.

Also check the task manager if the EXE is actually running....
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
Idler

Post by Idler »

zinc wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:06 am 1. Reboot your PC
3. Run WWB and see if it starts. If it does, do your work and once finished switch the AV back on. This way you will be able to establish if WWB is in the blacklist or not.

Hi Zinc

Thank you for your suggestion. I have just tried this but unfortunately it did not work. I checked the Task Manager and it was not running. Do you have any other thoughts? I am Google-ing like crazy here to try and find a solution.

MT
I
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Do you have any links that can walk me through the various things that I need to do to help get WWB15 open?
There is nothing I can do in the software to prevent it from being blocked. If this was possible then real virusses could also do that.
I do not have Kaspersky so I cannot help you configure it.
The only other thing you can try is to completely remove Kaspersky to see if that works.
zinc

Post by zinc »

Idler wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:18 am

Hi Zinc

Thank you for your suggestion. I have just tried this but unfortunately it did not work. I checked the Task Manager and it was not running. Do you have any other thoughts? I am Google-ing like crazy here to try and find a solution.

MT
I
:?
Ummm. As Pablo says try removing the AV. WWB is very good and not demanding and I am very surprised that it does not start.

Aslo uninstall it and remove the directory and the folder in the MyDocs as well as registry entries. Reboot and try installing a fresh copy.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:25 am
Do you have any links that can walk me through the various things that I need to do to help get WWB15 open?
There is nothing I can do in the software to prevent it from being blocked. If this was possible then real virusses could also do that.
I do not have Kaspersky so I cannot help you configure it.
The only other thing you can try is to completely remove Kaspersky to see if that works.
I removed all Kaspersky products completely and turned off the Windows Defender Firewall. I uninstalled WWB15 and reinstalled then rebooted my laptop with the internet disconnected. I tried to open WWB15 and nothing. The loading wheel starts going but then stops. I have looked in the Task Manager and webbuilder.exe isn't there. Maybe the answer for me is to go back to the previous version as that worked before, maybe it will work again?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

There are no major changes in the way WWB works, the latest release is just a small update. So, I am not sure if going back to a previous version will work.

Are there any errors in the Windows event log?
Idler

Post by Idler »

DELETED
Last edited by Idler on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:03 am There are no major changes in the way WWB works, the latest release is just a small update. So, I am not sure if going back to a previous version will work.

Are there any errors in the Windows event log?
Yes, there is an error. https://jmp.sh/elNa2yT
Idler

Post by Idler »

zinc wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:40 am

Hi Zinc

MT
I
Ummm. As Pablo says try removing the AV. WWB is very good and not demanding and I am very surprised that it does not start.

Aslo uninstall it and remove the directory and the folder in the MyDocs as well as registry entries. Reboot and try installing a fresh copy.
Hi Zinc

How do I 'remove the directory and the folder in the MyDocs as well as registry entries'? I am not technical so I would appreciate a 'For Dummies' guide please.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The event log seems to indicate that the exe file is corrupt.
Did you try to reinstall?
Did you try both the 32 and 64bit versions?
zinc

Post by zinc »

Idler wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:23 am

Hi Zinc

MT
I

Hi Zinc

How do I 'remove the directory and the folder in the MyDocs as well as registry entries'? I am not technical so I would appreciate a 'For Dummies' guide please.
Sorry I too have just seen the log file. So do what Pablo says. Best to download a fresh copy and run the setup as Admin. Right click on the EXE and choose the option "Run as Admin...".
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:35 am The event log seems to indicate that the exe file is corrupt.
Did you try to reinstall?
Did you try both the 32 and 64bit versions?
I have now downloaded the 64bit version and I got this error: https://jmp.sh/hBzPC8O
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Unfortunately, there is no any useful information in the event log.

Did you do a full install and reinstall?
Maybe one or more extesions became corrupt?

Go to Documents\WYSIWYG Web Builder and rename
"WYSIWYG Web Builder"
to
"WYSIWYG Web Builder - backup"

Does it work now?
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 am Unfortunately, there is no any useful information in the event log.

Did you do a full install and reinstall?
Maybe one or more extesions became corrupt?

Go to Documents\WYSIWYG Web Builder and rename
"WYSIWYG Web Builder"
to
"WYSIWYG Web Builder - backup"

Does it work now?
Hi Pablo

I renamed "WYSIWYG Web Builder" to "WYSIWYG Web Builder - backup". Hasn't helped.

I then did a full uninstall, rebooted the laptop, and re-installed. Then, with Kaspersky switched off and Windows Defender Firewall switched off, I tried to open WWB15 but it did not open. I am not a technical person so I just have no idea what else to try. If you have any other suggestions I would be very grateful for them; I am willing to try anything as I need to access my sites asap. Thank you.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

Have you tried going back to a System Restorepoint prior to the recent update?
Idler

Post by Idler »

WWBman wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:57 am Have you tried going back to a System Restorepoint prior to the recent update?
I haven't and I don't know how to do that. What would worry me is that it might change other things that have happened since. I don't know how it works.

I have tried to open WWB15 whilst the Task Manager is open. The webbuilder.exe momentarily appears on the Task Manager but it then disappears. Does this suggest anything? I am still trying everything I can find online concerning Apps not opening on Windows 10.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I think this suggests that another process kills the application.
If the application closed because of an internal error then it would display an error message before shutting down.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:04 pm I think this suggests that another process kills the application.
If the application closed because of an internal error then it would display an error message before shutting down.
Sorry to keep asking for help but do you have any suggestions based on this? It is just so weird as before the update it all worked fine and I cannot think of anything that I have done over the passed days that would cause this. I don't play around with the internals of a computer as I don't know anything about it. This is all very puzzling.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I can only speak from previous experiences. There has never been another reason for the application not running.
Idler

Post by Idler »

I've run it again with Task Manager open and under the Status column it says Suspended. Does this mean anything to you?

I opened the Properties for webbuilder.exe and ran a 'compatibility troubleshooter': https://jmp.sh/MwkU59a Not sure if this will help find my problem.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Is it possible for you to let me download the previous version to see if that one works? I really have to get a few websites updated asap.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Hi Zinc

MT
I

Hi Zinc

I have tried almost everything but I haven't tried your suggestion yet. Please could you explain where I remove the directory and the folder in the MyDocs as well as registry entries. Many thanks.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Is it possible for you to let me download the previous version to see if that one works? I really have to get a few websites updated asap.
I don't think older versions are available to download. Maybe Pablo would provide a link. Only thing with this if you cannot install the latest update then the issue may still be the same with the previous.

Now a question for you is it possible that you may have accidentally set in apps that you can only download from The Microsoft Store (recommend) if this is the case the you won't be able to install apps from anywhere else.

To check go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features. Now at the top where is says where to get apps and if you have selected in the dropdown to use "The Microsoft Store only (recommended)" then you will not be able to install apps from anywhere else. Simply change this to anywhere and you should be able to install WB.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

BF - I think it installs OK - just doesn't run.
Here's a link to version 15.4.1 from the 8th May, it may help:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il4ulut175rbd ... 4.zip?dl=1

Alan
Idler

Post by Idler »

BaconFries wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:23 pm
I don't think older versions are available to download. Maybe Pablo would provide a link. Only thing with this if you cannot install the latest update then the issue may still be the same with the previous.

Now a question for you is it possible that you may have accidentally set in apps that you can only download from The Microsoft Store (recommend) if this is the case the you won't be able to install apps from anywhere else.

To check go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features. Now at the top where is says where to get apps and if you have selected in the dropdown to use "The Microsoft Store only (recommended)" then you will not be able to install apps from anywhere else. Simply change this to anywhere and you should be able to install WB.
Thanks, BaconFries. No, it was already set at Anywhere. Any other suggestions gratefully received. I'm pulling my hair out here. Could it be anything to do with a Windows 10 Update? There was one on 17th July which I am unable to uninstall.
Idler

Post by Idler »

alan_sh wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:37 pm BF - I think it installs OK - just doesn't run.
Here's a link to version 15.4.1 from the 8th May, it may help:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il4ulut175rbd ... 4.zip?dl=1

Alan
Thanks, Alan. Hmm, as you suspected, it also didn't open properly. However, the window telling me that there was a new version available did appear. So the software opens but then something closes it. Does anyone know what would cause this?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Could it be anything to do with a Windows 10 Update? There was one on 17th July which I am unable to uninstall.
More than likely for the last few months windows updates have caused issues with some users. What was the last update Windows installed? And if you are unable to remove you may not have the permissions to do so. You would need to run as administrator if you are not already and try to remove. If that fails a system restore to before the update should fix.
Fender

Post by Fender »

If you want a clean uninstall for WYSIWYG download this free trial of the pro version
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-un ... -download/
here you have video's how to and what you can remove https://www.revouninstaller.com/support/
This way you can clean all entrys of WYSIWYG
success
Idler

Post by Idler »

Fender wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:24 pm If you want a clean uninstall for WYSIWYG download this free trial of the pro version
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-un ... -download/
here you have video's how to and what you can remove https://www.revouninstaller.com/support/
This way you can clean all entrys of WYSIWYG
success
Thank you, Fender. I used it and cleaned out files but to no avail, WWB15 still won't fully open. This is very frustrating. Thanks again for your help.
Idler

Post by Idler »

BaconFries wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 pm
Could it be anything to do with a Windows 10 Update? There was one on 17th July which I am unable to uninstall.
More than likely for the last few months windows updates have caused issues with some users. What was the last update Windows installed? And if you are unable to remove you may not have the permissions to do so. You would need to run as administrator if you are not already and try to remove. If that fails a system restore to before the update should fix.
I am unable to delete the Updates so it might be something to do with that, but if it is then wouldn't other users be having the same problem. I think there is an issue with my laptop but I have no idea what, how, or why. I have looked at Restore but there are only two restore points listed, both of which are from today. Once my 14 day quarantine ends I will get my desktop out of storage and see if it works on that. I really need to access my sites now but if I can't, I can't. If you have any other ideas, I would be most grateful if you could let me know. Many thanks for your help.
zinc

Post by zinc »

Idler wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:59 pm
BaconFries wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 pm
I am unable to delete the Updates so it might be something to do with that, but if it is then wouldn't other users be having the same problem. I think there is an issue with my laptop but I have no idea what, how, or why. I have looked at Restore but there are only two restore points listed, both of which are from today. Once my 14 day quarantine ends I will get my desktop out of storage and see if it works on that. I really need to access my sites now but if I can't, I can't. If you have any other ideas, I would be most grateful if you could let me know. Many thanks for your help.

Have tried to install version 14 just for testing purposes? So do not open your projects with it. Just see if it loads.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Zinc suggested that I download v14 which I did. This version launched with no problems. The plot thickens.

Where do I go from here?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I do not think you can compare v14 with v15. Because for your system it's like a different application. It has different permissions, it's in a different folder and uses different settings.
It has been suggested before, but it may help if you restore your system to a point where it still worked.
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

How are you trying to open WWB? From the start menu, a desktop icon, or double clicking on a web builder project file?
SamT

Post by SamT »

As you report no other issue with the laptop and you state WWB version 14 loaded without problems..

I suggest you open a folder window.
On the left panel are the quick access icons. Click on the C: drive
Then click on Program Files
Navigate to near the bottom and you should see the folder titled 'WYSIWYG Web Builder 15'
Go into that folder and right click on 'WebBuilder.exe'
Select 'Run as Administrator'

If you don't find it in Programs Files, try looking for it in Program Files (x86)

I have made the assumption that you have not specified an alternate location for WWB 15 to be installed in a different location.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You wrote:
However, the window telling me that there was a new version available did appear.
This indicates that you did not completely uninstall version 15.
'Check for updates' is OFF by default. So, the old settings still exist because a clean install would not display this message.
Idler

Post by Idler »

bkjohns wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:30 am How are you trying to open WWB? From the start menu, a desktop icon, or double clicking on a web builder project file?
With the problem WWB15 version I have tried all three ways that you have mentioned plus going to the Program Folder and opening directly from webbuilder.exe, all with the same result; it initially opened then closed.

When I opened the WWB14 version as a test, I opened it by double clicking the short cut icon; it opened without a problem.
Idler

Post by Idler »

SamT wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:23 am As you report no other issue with the laptop and you state WWB version 14 loaded without problems..

I suggest you open a folder window.
On the left panel are the quick access icons. Click on the C: drive
Then click on Program Files
Navigate to near the bottom and you should see the folder titled 'WYSIWYG Web Builder 15'
Go into that folder and right click on 'WebBuilder.exe'
Select 'Run as Administrator'

If you don't find it in Programs Files, try looking for it in Program Files (x86)

I have made the assumption that you have not specified an alternate location for WWB 15 to be installed in a different location.
Hi SamT

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have already tried this but with the same result, unfortunately. I am baffled as to what it could be. Any other suggestions very gratefully received.
Idler

Post by Idler »

Pablo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:34 am You wrote:
However, the window telling me that there was a new version available did appear.
This indicates that you did not completely uninstall version 15.
'Check for updates' is OFF by default. So, the old settings still exist because a clean install would not display this message.
OK, so please could you explain how I completely remove all traces of WWB15? FYI The way I uninstalled was to go to the Windows 10 App window, find WWB15 and click the Uninstall Button.