My Site... User Since Version 9

You can use this section of the forum to show your website created with WYSIWYG Web Builder to other users.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST or your post may be deleted!

This forum is for users to display their websites created with WYSIWYG Web Builder.

Rules for posting in this section:
1) Do not ask any WYSIWYG Web Builder help or support related questions here.
2) Do not Promote your website on somebody elses thread.
3) Do not start more than one thread about your site.
4) Do not say anything negative or mean about somebody's site. Constructive criticism is great and encouraged, but being deliberately nasty will not be tolerated.
5) Do not post any site that is not created with WYSIWYG Web Builder.
6) Do not BUMP your post unnecessarily/repetitively.
7) Do not speak/type in another language than English. That way everyone can understand you.
EdCaffreyMS

My Site... User Since Version 9

Post by EdCaffreyMS »

Hi All!
I've lurked the forms every now and then, looking for answers about features of WYSIWYG WebBuilder. I've been using it since version 9, and just purchased version 18 with all the extension packs. However, I never have gotten around to truly participating.

I know only the crudest workings of the software, and am seeking to do better. I am a far better Bladesmith/Knifemaker then I am a website builder...but as with most creative types, I'm very anal about doing everything myself. So I am going to lay it out there for everyone to see, and advise me how to make it "better" utilizing WYSIWYG 18 Plus.
The reason I chose to build my own website was simple... at the time when I was seeking to have a website built/administered, it was all about SELL! SELL! SELL! which always turned me off, so I knew it would turn other off, and I didn't want to come across in that manner. I also like the fact that I can finish a knife, take my own photos, and have it on the website in a matter of hours, versus days, or even weeks. Anyway....

My website can be found at: http://www.caffreyknives.net/

Full disclosure: I have never fully read all of the Documentation, instructions, tutorials, etc. But rather work with the software until I get stuck on something, and THEN go the the "help" menu. :) After having purchased the Plus package.... I now need to go and explore all the things I purchased, and find out how to install those I wish to. I appreciate your constructive input!
Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
"The Montana Bladesmith"
"Nobody Cares What you Know...Until the Know You Care"
wixily

Re: My Site... User Since Version 9

Post by wixily »

Nice. But it's not mobile friendly from my ends
EdCaffreyMS

Post by EdCaffreyMS »

Thank you! That is something I am trying to figure out..... how to make it "responsive". Any insights would be appreciated. I'm working on reading the "help" files on responsive design.... but so far it's not jelling. :)
"The Montana Bladesmith"
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

IMHO, start reading up on layout grids, flex containers and flex grids. If you want truly a flexible layout this is what you need to use.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Which layout mode should I choose?
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... hp?t=76722

Video tutorials created by other users:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/video_tutorials.html
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Hi Ed. Beautiful knives that are worth, a better site. It's ok to have individual design but you must follow some design rules to get it interesting and readable. The others have told you about the need for responsiveness so it will be mobilefriendly. In my opinion you are using a very old designmodel and to big text blocks. Combined with the screamy colors people will feel very uncomfortable on your site.
I looked on the net for some similar business to yours:
https://www.dawsonknives.com/
Just a rererence for you to look at. With WWB you can produce sites like this but in your own style. Use a template from the free library and check out the different layoutstyles and functions. I hope I don't offend you, but you are such a good craftsman in making knives so I just had to be honest.
"Make My Day"

See my Website
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

I usually don't post here. However I agree with Bluesman that your skill deserves a better looking website. I actually feel better looking at your "old style" site than the example Bluesman provides. I feel what you say about wanting to be unique and I totally agree with it. But if you can master the newer styles of web design and then design it yourself you will not only have a top notch product but also a real and connecting website to match.
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
smile

Post by smile »

Sites were better with frontpage 1998... just saying very good craftsmanship but site looks terrible.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Also - you are using "mailto:" to get the viewer to email you. That doesn't always work. Use a form - either one you build or one you can embed (I use cognitoforms.com).
rcandrews001

Post by rcandrews001 »

I would suggest the following: Consider a newer layout comparable to market trends. Consider condensing information into as few as possible, short paragraphs. Many won't take the time to read lengthy chunks of information on multiple pages. Consider using a limited number of quality photos of your work which will help highlight your skills. When it comes to pictures it's more about promoting your business & quality of work, not the quantity of pictures you've taken. Post those to social media. Develop a site that's mobile friendly. With WYSIWYG check out using Flex Container, Flex Grid, Layer, Layout Grid, Dialog, Card, and Card Container to name a few. Some of the Blocks are useful as well. I would also suggest playing around with Object Properties. In particular Animations and Events. Personally, I like Events better. I've played around with the type of site I might build based on your existing site. Since it's so difficult to go into a lengthy discussion I built one page in WYSISYG 18 and you can see it here https://www.flooringwebsitedesign.com/CaffreyKnives/
Hopefully this brief reply will be helpful. I'd be glad to help further if you're interested. I wish you well.
EdCaffreyMS

Post by EdCaffreyMS »

Wow! Thanks so much all the information/advice! I have a LONG way to go. And rcandrews001..... Love that page you created! I'm gong to import that page and take a look at all the settings/functions, which should help the learning curve.

I have to admit that I have tried several times to study/learn how to transform my current site into a "Responsive" site.....but after about 10 mins of reading the tutorials and/or the forums Responsive section, I just end up lost and frustrated. Not sure what it'll take to make the light come on...but I'll just keep trying.

I am currently struggling with version 18 and the Responsive drop down menu..... I copy/pasted the content from my old (version 14) menus into version 18.... and it works when I preview it in a browser...but one uploaded it doesn't work. I sorta remember in version 14 there was a "wwb14.min.js" file required, but I can't seem to find that file in version 18...nor even if it's required???
"The Montana Bladesmith"
EdCaffreyMS

Post by EdCaffreyMS »

Pablo solved my menu not working.... I missed uploading a single file!
"The Montana Bladesmith"
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

The colors could have been picked better. It gives almost an eye strain. I think you can improve more on the design. And also according to peoples suggestions make it responsive.