Links Missing

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
roygore

Links Missing

Post by roygore »

I am creating a website which has lots of links to other pages in the same website - there will be possibly 100 links when it is complete.

The web pages are created using Layout Grids with a text frame inside the Layout Grid and uses a master page

I've run into a problem:
All the links (about 20) are all set correctly in wwb (I've checked and doubled checked many times)

However, when I Preview the pages in wwb, some of the links are missing - see examples: http://history.rlgconsulting.co.uk/people.html http://history.rlgconsulting.co.uk/places.html http://history.rlgconsulting.co.uk/war_experience.html

Each of the lines of text in italics has a link - as you will see some work and others don't. But they are all set the same way just linked to different internal pages. The text uses different font sizes as well as bold and italic.

If I actually publish the website the same links are also missing

I've looked for hidden objects, layers, images and anything I can think of that may be siting in front of the text with missing links but have found nothing

I've checked the master page and even deleted the pages and recreated them but still get the same results

It's very strange!

Can anyone help please?
Roy
roygore

Re: Links Missing

Post by roygore »

Further to my initial query:

I've tried putting each line of text into it's own separate text frame and all the links are there and appears to work!

I'm sure I have mixed font sizes, bold, italic etc. in the same text frame in the past and it appears to work on some pages in the example urls I listed above!

Am I missing something?

Is there a limit to the number of links in a website?

Help please.
Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

There is no limit for the number of links you can use in a website.
However, there the maximum number of links in a single text box is 255

Also, note that the option "Use <p> tags" in a text box should only be used for responsive text (see the help). This means that the formatting of all text in the text box should be the same.

If you need then please share a demo project so I can see what you have done.

Related FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=82134
roygore

Post by roygore »

Thanks Pablo,

I'm not a trained programmer so I'm afraid I don't really understand your point about "Use <p> tags". I assume this was inserted by wwb when I created the text frame inside the Layout Grid.

Regarding Responsive Text - are you saying that I should tick the "Enable Responsive Fonts" box in Object Properties for all text on all pages? Is there a way to make this a default for all text frames in the project?

I've tested this for a couple text frames - some links then appeared but not all.

I will try to strip down a version of the project and send to you using a program called UP.

Thanks for your help
Roy
roygore

Post by roygore »

In addition to my last post:

"This means that the formatting of all text in the text box should be the same."

Does that mean that I can't mix Bold, Italic, Font Sizes, etc. in the same text frame?

Roy
roygore

Post by roygore »

Pablo,

I've stripped out the unnecessary pages from the project just leaving those pages which have links attached to text.

I suggest the best page to look at is the 'people' page because it has 2 links that work and 2 links that don't work.

Click on this link to down load the wwb files and it's associated files. https://up.labstack.com/RnszFWAf

If you can identify what I have done wrong and explain it to me then I can make the correction where it's required.

Please let me know if you have any problems downloading the files and if you need anything else.

I appreciate all you help on this.

Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

- Open the properties of the text
- set the output format to 'Default'

OR

- make the formatting of all text the same.

Note: the option 'Use <p> tags' can only use used if all text has the same formatting otherwise the text cannot be responsive.
roygore

Post by roygore »

Pablo,

That's brilliant! Set the Output format to Default and all links work as expected.

Now, I didn't set the Output format to use 'Use <p> tags', so is 'Use <p> tags' the normal default?

Four questions please to help me learn:
1- what will setting the Output format to 'Default' have on other functionality in the page?
2- should the Output format on all text frames be set to 'Default'?
3- will the text frame and page still be responsive if I set all text frames to Default?
4- what(briefly) is the difference between 'Use <p> tags' and Default - ie what do they do differently to each other?

I can't thank you enough for all your help and support.

Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The default set be set in the page properties -> style
1- what will setting the Output format to 'Default' have on other functionality in the page?
Please see this related FAQ:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=34318
2- should the Output format on all text frames be set to 'Default'?
That depends on whihc feature you want to use. For example, if you want to use bullets then it should be selected.
3- will the text frame and page still be responsive if I set all text frames to Default?
yes
4- what(briefly) is the difference between 'Use <p> tags' and Default - ie what do they do differently to each other?
See the FAQ.
roygore

Post by roygore »

Can I set the Output format to Default and tick the box for Responsive Fonts as well? Will that cause any problems?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Yes, that is also possible.
roygore

Post by roygore »

Thanks again for everything.

Roy
roygore

Post by roygore »

Pablo,

Sorry to come back on this subject, but I am still having problems with text formatting.

Following your previous advice, I set the 'Output Format' to Default on all text frames. This appeared to fix the problem I had with links not working.

However, now that I have added more pages and text lines to the website, I am getting problems with formatting the lines of text - some lines are missing italics; some are missing BOLD text, etc. I have doubled checked that all pages and lines of text are formatted the same.

In wwb all lines of text looks perfect but when I preview or publish the website some formatting is missing on some lines of text. All of the pages are formatted the same - the only thing that changes is the actual text.

You can see the problems on my test website here: http://history.rlgconsulting.co.uk/ . Scroll down the page and you will see 8 circles - click on 'War Experience' for example - you will see that the top text line 'Tring Military Manoeuvres:' is NOT in italics as it should be. Go back and click on 'Places and you will see that 'Tring Gardens Then and Now:' is NOT in bold type. If you go back and look at other circles you will see various text lines missing the formatting they should have.

Click on the link to download my wwb and associated files for your information: https://up.labstack.com/Ging6BZx

Again, I'm sorry for coming back on this subject, but I do need help please.

Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

To style links please see this related tutorial:
https://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/link_color.html

- Create a style, enable italic
- apply the style to the link.
roygore

Post by roygore »

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't quite follow why I need to create a style then apply that style to the link. Does that mean that I would need to create different styles for each format of text that I want to attach a link to?

I've tried removing the link from the affected text but it makes no difference - the text still looses some of it's formatting. So, perhaps it's not the link that is causing the problem!

All I'm trying to do is format some text then apply a link to that text. Logically, adding a link to text should have no effect on the format of the text.

As you will see in my test website (link above), formatting the text then adding a link works perfectly on most of the lines of text just not some lines of text? On some text the italic is lost and on other text the bold is lost - I can't make any sense of it.

Do you have any idea why this might happen?

I am using the standard built-in text extension in wwb. Could you suggest a different text extension that I could try (one that is supported by yourself)?

I appreciate your help.

Just as a note - I am also having problems with bullet points not appearing on a different website in preview or when published - using the same standard text frame. Could both of these problems be caused by the same thing?

Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If you want to use italic for links then you will need to create a hyperlink style.

For bullets you will need to select "use <p> tags' as the output format.

WYSIWYG Web Builder uses the standard text editor component of Windows (richedit). I have no control over how the editor works.
I have tried other third party text editors, but they all have their own quirks or they are too expensive to license. So, I decided to stay with this one. And hopefully one day Microsoft will make it perfect.
roygore

Post by roygore »

Having carried out some more trial and error testing, it appears that the problem occurs when I mix bold and italic on the same text.

Italic text on it's own seems to work and bold on it's own seems to work. But when I add both italic and bold to the same text it looses one or the other formatting.

This doesn't, of course, explain why adding both italic and bold on the same text works in most cases but not all!

Any help appreciated.

Roy
roygore

Post by roygore »

Thanks for the feedback Pablo and for the tip on bullets.

I'll persevere and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your excellent support.

Roy