Site Search

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
laros

Site Search

Post by laros »

Hello,

On a website www.dejavnost.si i have a SITE SEARCH. I have set the results to be shown on "another page". And when i click in the site search, it does transfer me to the wanted page, but it doesnt show the results, neither it say that there are no results. Just nothing.

I have checked all the walkthrough on the WYSIWYG website and did it like it say, but somehow it doesn't work.

Any idea why?

Thanks in advance!
alan_sh

Re: SITE SEARCH IS NOT WORKING

Post by alan_sh »

Can you create a subset of your web site (in WWB) which shows the problem and post the .wbs file somewhere we can get at? That way we can see what you have done and can help.

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

It does not look like you have followed the instructions from the help. For example, there is no inline frame on the results page.
Make sure all steps from the help have been done.

If you need further assistance then please share a demo project so I can see all your settings.
Visit this FAQ for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82134
laros

Post by laros »

Pablo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:51 am It does not look like you have followed the instructions from the help. For example, there is no inline frame on the results page.
Make sure all steps from the help have been done.

If you need further assistance then please share a demo project so I can see all your settings.
Visit this FAQ for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82134
I have only founded a walkthrough of results to be shown in "another object". But i need it to be on another page inside the website.
I did point it out to another page, but it doesnt show any results. If possible i wouldnt want to be shown in inline frame, but on layer that i choose.

Is it possible?

Thank you!
Pablo

Re: Site Search

Post by Pablo »

Did you read the instructions in the help (F1)?

Site Search -> Show results in another page
laros

Post by laros »

Pablo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:18 am Did you read the instructions in the help (F1)?

Yes, i have read it many times in the last 2 days, but somehow it doesnt show anything.

It says:

Step 1
- Add a new page to the project (for example 'search_results').
- Add an inline frame to the new page. This is where the results will be displayed.
- Add a 'Site Search' object.
- Select 'Show results in an Inline Frame'
- Click the drop-down box to the right of that and select the name of the Inline Frame
Note that now you will also be able to search on the result page.

Important: make sure that the Inline frame display an initial page. Some browsers will not display the page if there is no content in the inline frame.
For example: you can create a new internal page that displays some text like 'This area will display the search results'. Then set that page in the 'Link to' property of the Inline frame, so that page will initially be displayed.

Step 2
- Go back to the page you were working on.
- Select 'Show results in another page'
- Click the 'Settings' and select the 'search_results' page.

But i think something is missing, i must do something i havent, but i dont know what. I dont understand Step 2. It says that you have to select "search results" page, which i did, but how does it know where exactly to show the results?

Any idea?

thank you
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Is this your result page?
https://www.dejavnost.si/rezultat.html

Where is the inline frame?

Note: I cannot see what you have done based on the published page.

Tip: start at the basics. So, first create a page with nothing else but the search elements.
laros

Post by laros »

Pablo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:46 am Is this your result page?
https://www.dejavnost.si/rezultat.html

Where is the inline frame?

Note: I cannot see what you have done based on the published page.

Tip: start at the basics. So, first create a page with nothing else but the search elements.
Yes, that is the result page. And an inline frame is at the top with the test on it as "INLINE FRAME".

Interesting is that i managed it to work in another object and in a new browser window. But i cant make it on another page.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I cannot see what you have done based on the published page.
If you need further assistance then please share a demo project
kreemerz

Post by kreemerz »

Pablo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:18 am Did you read the instructions in the help (F1)?

Pablo, I know how to add a site search to show results in another page. But not sure how I include my consistent theme on the results page... currently, it shows a result page but it's a white page with the results. how do I edit or customize the results page?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You can style the result page, just like any other page.
- open the result page in your project
- change the layout
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

kreemerz wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:02 am

Pablo, I know how to add a site search to show results in another page. But not sure how I include my consistent theme on the results page... currently, it shows a result page but it's a white page with the results. how do I edit or customize the results page?
Use a Master page - same as the others. See www.penninescouts.org.uk and the text I put in the other search query.
kreemerz

Post by kreemerz »

laros wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:32 am

Yes, i have read it many times in the last 2 days, but somehow it doesnt show anything.

It says:

Step 1
- Add a new page to the project (for example 'search_results').
- Add an inline frame to the new page. This is where the results will be displayed.
- Select 'Show results in an Inline Frame'
- Click the drop-down box to the right of that and select the name of the Inline Frame
Note that now you will also be able to search on the result page.

Important: make sure that the Inline frame display an initial page. Some browsers will not display the page if there is no content in the inline frame.
For example: you can create a new internal page that displays some text like 'This area will display the search results'. Then set that page in the 'Link to' property of the Inline frame, so that page will initially be displayed.

Step 2
- Go back to the page you were working on.
- Select 'Show results in another page'
- Click the 'Settings' and select the 'search_results' page.

But i think something is missing, i must do something i havent, but i dont know what. I dont understand Step 2. It says that you have to select "search results" page, which i did, but how does it know where exactly to show the results?

Any idea?

thank you
Try this set of instructions... I finally got mine working. Writing technical instructions for something like this isn't easy - especially if you're trying to reach a wider audience. It's a feat indeed.

These steps will help you add a Site Search on your site where the results will display on another page of your site. We’re gonna use a 3-page website project for this example.

1. Launch WebBuilder.
2. First, create 3 new pages in a sample project.
3. Rename each page as follows:
a. First page renamed to Master
b. Second Page renamed to Results
c. Third page renamed to webpage

4. On the Master page, add the Site Search object to it.
a. Double click on the Site Search box to access its properties
b. Select Show Results in another Page.
c. Click on settings button and select ‘Results’ page.

5. On the Results page, add an Inline Frame object and a Site Search object.
a. Double click on the Inline Frame and note the name shown in the ‘Name’ field. It’s probably gonna be named ‘inlineFrame1’ or something similar.
b. Exit out of the Inline Frame properties.
c. Double click on the Site Search object.
d. Select Show Results in Inline Frame.
e. Select inlineFrame1 from the drop-down.

6. On the webpage page, access its Page Properties.
a. Got to the Miscellaneous tab and apply the Master page to this page by selecting ‘Master’ page from the options.
7. Preview the webpage and test the Site Search.
a. The results should appear in a separate page. – the Results page.
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

alan_sh wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:39 am
kreemerz wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:02 am

Use a Master page - same as the others. See www.penninescouts.org.uk and the text I put in the other search query.
By the way @Alan; there is a something which you all might not know. Idk if the site search will get more advanced or proper to use as there are so many improvements which still needs to be made in terms of style and functionality.

Go to your website www.penninescouts.org.uk and click on your searchbox and give a space by using spacebar. After that click on the search button. It should show something like this. As I was testing every feature of site search @pablo has offered I found this on my experimental testing.
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

Pablo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:27 am You can style the result page, just like any other page.
- open the result page in your project
- change the layout
Any fix for the above issue @pablo ?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This issue should be fixed in version 17.3
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

Pablo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:11 am This issue should be fixed in version 17.3
https://needsimplewebsite.com/

in here @pablo on the websites searchbox. If you write "nee s" or even "need s" and click on search the class span shows for some reason.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I am not sure if I have any control over this.