Once published - page refresh required to display roll over text images

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
LJLachance

Once published - page refresh required to display roll over text images

Post by LJLachance »

Odd issue, unsure of what the cause may be. I have a page that worked well prior to upgrade to WB16 and upload site afterward. The page has a series of RollOver text blocks. Everything loads to server ok, preview in WB16 is all good, but, after publishing, (cache cleared) I go to the page and the page loads great, except the RollOver text blocks do not appear (the space they are in is blank) - BUT, hit F5 and refresh the page in the browser and poof - the images are there and work fine. This never happened before and I'm not sure what's going on. Why would I have to refresh the browser to get the images / RollOver text blocks to appear, particularly since they have worked for the past year plus?
Pablo

Re: Once published - page refresh required to display roll over text images

Post by Pablo »

Maybe you have used invalid filenames for the images?
Or maybe you have enabled server sided 'optimization' which corrupts the HTML?
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

hit F5 and refresh the page in the browser and poof - the images are there and work fine.
Once you do the 'ctrl' + 'f5' and you now see the images, does everything work from then on? Like, go to another page, and come back... do the images appear now, or not? If everything 'suddenly' becomes normal after that, then this is a classic browser cache issue.

I find Google Chrome to be the worst offender for caching. Sometimes I even need to go to "More tools" >> "Clear browsing data" in Chrome to force it to delete the 'old' files.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

MGD4me - Interestingly enough - I checked with FireFox and the page loads normally. Chrome is the only one doing this... cache is completely cleared through "history, clear data cache" and "more tools - clear browsing data" both.

Pablo, the files names are proper and nothing has changed except that I uploaded the entire site following my upgrade WB16 (not saying this is the reason). Prior to reuploading the site, and having made corrections and changes along the way, the page acted normally and as expected.

Regarding teh "server sided optimization - I'm not sure where that would be enabled or where to check this.

Thanks
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I doubt that this has anything to do with the update.
The HTML is the same when you are loading the page the first time or the second time.
Regarding teh "server sided optimization - I'm not sure where that would be enabled or where to check this.
This is something you would configure on the server. Not directly related to WWB.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Agreed, probably has nothing to do with the update as the page hasn't really changed. It's just strange and I have no idea what might be causing it. I did check in MS Edge Browser as well and it does the same thing. Only FireFox comes up immediately. I'll keep at it and make changes as necessary to get it right. If you think of anything, please let me know. Thanks for the reply
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

I've been playing since yesterday and can't figure this out - I rebuilt the offending section, checked everything I knew and still have an issue with the need to refresh the page (Chrome and MS Edge) to get the RollOver text to work. I've uploaded the offending page to the following:
***Link removed as requested***

Do you need the actual (wbs) file as well? Please let me know how to get that to you if you do.

Thanks for looking at this ... after we're done, would you please delete the link? Thanks you
Last edited by BaconFries on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

My Bad - sorry - the backup wbs file is there as well and named RollOver.wbs
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

It looks like the images are loaded to slow, so the script cannot determined the size of the images.
You can try this:
- go to Tools -> Options- > HTML
- enable 'Move javascripts to the end of the page'
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

ok, that's done, no difference, same as before, refresh the page to show. I opened JUST this page, made the changes suggested, saved it, uploaded just that page. Should I have uploaded the entire site? I did check the page html and it did move all javascript to the end of the page. Is there a limit to the number of "rollovers" you can have on a page? Thanks for looking.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

@LJLachance,

Can you test my upload of your page here: link

Does it work for you on all of the browsers?
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Yes, not the full page but the rollovers loaded instantly in both Chrome and Edge which they did not before. And the secret is? :D
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

Yes, not the full page
That's because I didnt download all your images...only the ones for rollover which was the issue.

Here are my project settings:

I checked the box for "load built-in JavaScript files asynchronously". Try that.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Like a champ! I love it when a plan comes together - thank you so much. Of course I don't know WHAT that did, but it works and that's what's important. Thanks again. Stay warm/Stay safe... L

PS - am I able to remove my link in my post? Or is that something Pablo or some other admin needs to accomplish?
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

Well sir, that worked for a while... I'm back to (using Chrome) the rollover NOT loading with the page unless the page is refreshed. Once it has been refreshed and/or it is in the browser cache, it works just like it's supposed to.

It can be seen on my site at https://www.lachance.org/lewiston.html. Not sure why it's happening ... this page has been up for a couple of years with no known issues. If you think of something, please let me know
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I just cleared my cache on chrome and checked on other browsers and it seems to work for me. I do not have to refresh the page.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

I'm at a loss to figure it out - if it's working for you, all I can do is hope it's working for others. I have a notice above the blocks, just in case.

Thanks