Publish to local folder - there's something wrong with saving the output folder on publish

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
alan_sh

Publish to local folder - there's something wrong with saving the output folder on publish

Post by alan_sh »

I've mentioned this before but am still unable to reliably reproduce it - but I thought I'd bring it up again to see if anyone has any ideas.

I have 4 sites I maintain. I always publish to a local folder - my W drive - which is actually a share on a Synology web server. That way, I can easily test it without disturbing the production site (and Synology supports PHP). Each site has its own subdirectory - for example, my Giants Seat folder is called W:\GS-16-4.

I also have other test sites I play with. For example, I recently created a site called Test Crash with the folder being W:\TC.

When I download a new version of WWB (I've just downloaded 16.4.1) and go to publish a modification, the folder that is displayed is not relevant to the site I am editing. So, I just edited my Giants Seat site (note, I did this by by double clicking on the WBS file) - go to publish and the local folder which is shown is W:\TC. I have to manually change it to get it to the correct site. I tried just selecting 'Giants Seat' in the name, but that still showed an incorrect folder.

If I then exit WWB (after publish and save) and go back in again (also by clicking on the correct WBS file), it opens OK and the Publish to local folder is correct. If I close WWB off and click on a different WBS file to start it, the publish to local folder is also correct for that site.

It only appears to go wrong when I have updated WWB.

So, is there something I am doing wrong or is there a file that gets overwritten incorrectly?

Cheers

Alan
WWBman

Re: Publish to local folder - there's something wrong with saving the output folder on publish

Post by WWBman »

The details for publishing each 'project' are stored in:
C:\Users\....\Documents\WYSIWYG Web Builder\system\publish.dat
See if the entries there are what you expect.

I have many projects and never had any publishing problems.
alan_sh

Re: Publish to local folder - there's something wrong with saving the output folder on publish

Post by alan_sh »

Thanks Pablo.

Do I assume that the profile name that should be used by a WBS file is stored within that file somewhere? If not, how does it link the web site build to a line in publish.dat?

I'll keep an eye on the file and see if I can see anything odd next time I do an upgrade.

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Do I assume that the profile name that should be used by a WBS file is stored within that file somewhere? If not, how does it link the web site build to a line in publish.dat?
The profile name should be unique for each website because this is what links the publish settings to the project.

See also the important note in this tutorial:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/publish.html
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Thanks for the pointer.

It seems that it is the 'publish to' default that occasionally gets "lost" and defaults to something different that I wasn't expecting.

I'll keep checking things out this end to see if I can narrow it down.

cheers

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I think this is related the name of the publish profile. Make use it's unique.
Also, if you rename the profile when the project is not open then the 'link' between the publish profile and project will be lost.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I have never renamed it with the project closed. I wasn't aware it was all stored in publish.dat until you told me.

I will check for uniqueness, but I am pretty sure it is.

Thanks

Alan