"Version Confusion"

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
mhinnc

"Version Confusion"

Post by mhinnc »

I'm missing something, I think. The "whatsnew.txt" contents for the following:

11/09/2020 - Version 16.0.x (hot-fix)
- Fixed: Issue with links in Bootstrap Tabs.
- Fixed: Invalid </a> tag in Rollover text.
- Improved: drop down list width of auto complete in responsive layouts.

11/11/2020 - Version 16.0.5
- Fixed: Issue with links in Bootstrap Tabs.
- Fixed: Invalid </a> tag in Rollover text.
- Improved: drop down list width of auto complete in responsive layouts.

So, seeing the new date of 11/11, I figure something has changed, so I download and see the above.

Question: Why not give the 11/09 the 16.0.5 version number? I wouldn't have taken [wasted?] the time to duplicate the download. Just trying to figure out what I should pay attention to and what to ignore.

Many thanks for any help you might offer this needy brain.
And if I sometime confound dates and incidents, or tell the same old tale for the twentieth time, think "Oh what a vast field his laboring memory wanders."
BaconFries

Re: "Version Confusion"

Post by BaconFries »

Hopefully Pablo's answer should explain why....
mhinnc wrote:Question: Why not give the 11/09 the 16.0.5 version number? I wouldn't have taken [wasted?] the time to duplicate the download. Just trying to figure out what I should pay attention to and what to ignore.
Pablo wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:25 pm Besides regular updates, there are also hotfixes. Usually a hotfix is released a few hours after someone has reported a problem (as an extra service), so they do not have to wait until the next update before this issue get fixed.
Hotfixes do not include a version number increase because this would take a lot of extra time. And the idea of an hotfix is to get an update out as quickly as possible.
mhinnc

Post by mhinnc »

Thanks BaconFries. I guess it's just one of those wonky things we have to live with. BTW - I notice the update which was posted yesterday, 11/16, had the version number 16.0.5, which was the same as the previous version number of the update on 11/11, but the what's new text file shows a hotfix. Maybe I'll prompt my brain to try to figure that out some other time.

Duplicated 15+mb downloads on limited bandwidth (such as when I'm working from the sailboat) is probably a small issue to not so many people. I do frequently find that it only calls for an 'extra sip'.... so it's not all bad, I suppose. 8)
And if I sometime confound dates and incidents, or tell the same old tale for the twentieth time, think "Oh what a vast field his laboring memory wanders."
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

A 'hotfix' is usually released just a few hours after someone has reported an issue. This is an extra service so anyone who is affected by the 'bug' can continue without having to wait for the next update.
Releasing an update (with increased version number) takes a considerable more time because more files need to be updated (like documentation, translations, etc).
Also, many times problem only affect a small group of users, so releasing a new update for small changes is not always needed.
mhinnc

Post by mhinnc »

Many thanks for taking the time for the further explanation Pablo! And also for your great program.
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

"Duplicated 15+mb downloads on limited bandwidth (such as when I'm working from the sailboat) is probably a small issue to not so many people. I do frequently find that it only calls for an 'extra sip'.... so it's not all bad, I suppose. 8)"

Two things come to mind here...1. usually there is a link to download only the changed files, so that might save some bandwidth, and 2. getting to work from a sailboat should make everything not all bad. :lol: