incorect image ratio

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
kenswindon

incorect image ratio

Post by kenswindon »

photo gallery lighthouse says

'Displays images with incorrect aspect ratio' and then list all my pictures and then just scores me 80

how can photo gallery do this when it is set to 'maintain aspect ratio' ?
Pablo

Re: incorect image ratio

Post by Pablo »

To be able to help you, I need to see your settings.

Please see:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82134
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

Here is a page with just the problems on it

https://freeclassicimages.com/page3.html
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Sorry this doesn't help. When asked to share your project it means provide a copy of the project it refers to the .wbs file not a link. Please just save this as you normally would and upload to your own site ( include the images) and provide a url or upload to be Mediafire and provide the url
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

Because I don't understand ANYTHING technical or codes or what you just told me to do that is the reason I have been useing wysiwyg and very successfully for 13 years.

I have saved a file with a page to test as a .wbs but I have no idea where the images are and I have no idea what Mediafire is,

but I need help,

its the thumbnail images generated by the photo gallery that are giving me the problem but if I don't have thumbnails best practice scores 100 but performance is much too low, sometime in the 60's and this is why google are scoreing me low and thats loosing me customers

can the thumbnail resolutions be changed, there is an optoin for set thumbnail sizes but this doesn't make any difference

thanks in advance for any help with this
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

To be able to help you, I need to see what you have done.
I cannot see your settings based on the published HTML. That is why I need the project file.

Step 1
Save the file under a different name and remove all content that is not relevant to your question, so it's immediately clear what you have done when I open your project file.

Step 2
Upload the wbs file (and images) to a location where I can download it from. For example, your own web site or another public server.

Step 3
Let me know where I can download the file from and describe exactly where the problem is.

Note, the software has thousands of settings and millions of possible combinations. There is no way to tell which settings you have used based on the HTML.
Therefor, for most questions we will need your project file.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

i set one up here as a rar file

https://freeclassicimages.com/problem/problem.rar

let me know if thats O.K.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Thanks for the project.
However, I do not see any issues.
Can you please describe where exactly I need to look for the problem?

Notes:
- Your images are very large, this will slow down your website.
- Some of the file names are not web safe. This may affect the how they are displayed. Related FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

if you use lighthouse for MOBILES you will see the problem

I put large high resolution images in that one for you on purpose as what I get is an issue with it telling me wrongly that images are low resolution and wrong aspect ratio or both with the generated thumbnail images in photo gallery

as I have 27,000 images in photo galleries on my site and google now favours mobile search it has become a big problem for me.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I'm sorry, but I do not see a problem with the aspect ratio.
For me, the images look exactly the same in the workspace and the browser.

https://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/support/k ... index.html
(lighthouse score: 96, the reason why no width or height have been defined is because otherwise the images are not responsive)

Can you please let me know exactly which photo is wrong according to you?

Note: if you use a photo gallery then the images are inside a grid. The size of the images is controlled by the available horizontal space. The software does not define a height, so the images will be displayed with their original aspect ratio.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

How can you not see a problem,

this is what I get with the page I sent you but it is the same on ALL my 300 pages and I think it has been since I updated to version 16

Image ]https://freeclassicimages.com/page5.html
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

You made me set up a new project and include the images if you cant see a problem in that NEW project PLEASE PLEASE look at the page I sent you or for that matter any page in my website and you will see this happen to EVERY image in every page so what I've been trying to get to is could it be a problem with my version of wysiwyg or a problem with my project working with it as it was originally made with a very early version of wysiwyg in 2008 and maybe hasen't updated prperly with the software.

surely you can only tell by looking at my pages PLEASE
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The project you have shared does not have this problem.
Do you have the same problem the project you have shared?
If the project you have sent me has different settings, then this is not helpful to find a solution for you.

I cannot see what settings you have used based on the published page.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

please read the previous message

i obviously cant send my project with 300 pages and 27,000 images but it is my project that is the problem.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

That is not what I am asking.

This is what I have asked:
Step 1
Save the file under a different name and remove all content that is not relevant to your question, so it's immediately clear what you have done when I open your project file.

Step 2
Upload the wbs file (and images) to a location where I can download it from. For example, your own web site or another public server.

Step 3
Let me know where I can download the file from and describe exactly where the problem is.
Or else make sure that the project you send can be used to reproduce the problem.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

what you asked for

https://freeclassicimages.com/problem/test.rar

also this is what I get when I publish it

https://freeclassicimages.com/page1.html
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The difference with the project you have previous shared (which worked correctly) is that the thumbnail size is set to 'compatible'.
This means that the gallery is not responsive and all images have fixed sizes.

Please set the thumbnail size to 'responsive'. Also, uncheck 'lazy load' if you do not want to include jQuery.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

sorry but that is not it, this is the same with any setting try it yourself

all my images are set at compatible don't you think I already tried that
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The thumbnail size should be set to 'responsive', not 'compatible'.

Here is the updated page:
https://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/support/k ... page5.html
as you can see it no longer shows the message after making this change.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

THAT DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE any setting gives the same result every image thats shows up in the mobile screen has a problem with the THUMBNAIL as lighthouse will show you, what I need is someone to figure out WHY.

and as I have already said try it yourself - PLEASE

I sent you that project with the fault for you play around with it to see what is happening

or pass this to somebody who can understand whats going on because for days now I cant seem to make you understand it at all
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

Just a little side note, you can always try refreshing the page so you don't look at a cached version. Also please CONSIDER NOT SHOUTING. Thank you.
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

now you think i'm stupid,

I've had websites for 20 years from the days of dial up modems, i may not understand code but I do understand the internet

and I've had wysiwyg for 13 years and and pait updated from version 7 almost anually to 16 and never once asked for any help until now, and frankly its not up to standard.

please pass this to someone who really cares about us customers and will take the time to try and find out what is wrong.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

or pass this to somebody who can understand whats going on because for days now I cant seem to make you understand it at all
First as jerryco please do not use uppercase to try and get your point over. The use of uppercase is seen as shouting and deemed rude.
Secondly If there's anyone who understands the software it is Pablo who happens to be the developer of the program and fully understands it's settings and the appropriate ones to use.
Also if Pablo didn't care why does he reply 9 out of 10 questions posted within minutes or a couple of hours of it being posted. His support for the software is 2nd to none even of Christmas /New Year and even of holiday /vacation so please don't knock this.
Here is an example of support
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=460423#p460423
Report made
crispy68 » Mon May 31, 2021 5:53 pm
Fixed and updated
Pablo » Mon May 31, 2021 6:28 pm
So to say he doesn't care isn't correct....
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

you may understand the software but you dont understand my problem or you wouldn't answer the way you have.

pleaae try and understand the problem

photo gallery generates a thumbnail

maintain aspect ratio will keep ratio the same

compatible - variable - responsive no matter which one is used still get the same result,
saying it must be set as resposive, if that was true then none of the existing customers like me would have been catered for with the updates and would not be able to use it without totally changing their entire websites, that would not be a proper update but a replacement software, so I am pretty sure Pablo have not done that.

the resolutoin and ratio of every image that falls within the screen on the lighthouse mobile image come out wrong when published.

the question is why!!!!!

as I have been trying to explain this site was set up with an early version of the software in 2008 and although there have been amendments and alteration to the site it has pretty much stayed the same, however each time I updated the software my project has been altermatically altered to suit that version

so could it be something to do with that,

I use windows 10 but obviously had a much earlier version when I started could it be that

could there be a gremlin in the update, or maybe when I downloaded it

I hope you get the picture now as I need this resolved

thankyou
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Did you take a look at the page I have published with the modifications?

Does this give the same problem when you look at this with lighthouse on your computer?
For me, it does not give the aspect ratio message.
and as I have already said try it yourself - PLEASE
I did! Please check the page I have published.

I am honestly doing my best to find a solution for you! I do care and I did reply to all your messages with the best intentions to help you.
I think that everyone can see that.

Please let me know if the page I have published (with the modifications to your project) works for you.

If you still think I do not understand the issue then can you please describe exactly what I need to do to see the problem?
Or if any other user thinks I am wrong then also let me know.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

its still the same, look at best practice mobile lighthouse you will get

Serves images with low resolution
Image natural dimensions should be proportional to the display size and the pixel ratio to maximize image clarity. Learn more.
URL
Displayed size
Actual size
Expected size

…images/tn_New_Jersey.jpg(wysiwygwebbuilder.com)
184 x 307
186 x 310
368 x 614

…images/tn_Forth_Bridge.jpg(wysiwygwebbuilder.com)
184 x 301
186 x 304
368 x 602

…images/tn_Skegness.jpg(wysiwygwebbuilder.com)
184 x 298
186 x 301
368 x 596

…images/tn_Ski_de_mont_blanc.jpg(wysiwygwebbuilder.com)
184 x 294
186 x 297
368 x 588

…images/tn_Air-Afrique.jpg(wysiwygwebbuilder.com)
184 x 288
186 x 291
368 x 576

…images/tn_Glasgow_Edinburgh_by_Coranation.jpg(wysiwygwebbuilder.com)
184 x 275
186 x 278
368 x 550

…images/tn_Scotland_for_a_Holiday.jpg(wysiwygwebbuilder.com)
184 x 152
186 x 153
368 x 304

…images/tn_Somerset.jpg(wysiwygwebbuilder.com)
184 x 150
186 x 151
368 x 300

always either resolution or aspect ratio or both but obviously something not right

is it something your devolers when creating an update did not think about 'older projects useing photo gallery'

if I have to change all of my 27,000 images out of these photo galleries into another gallery it would take months of work so please find a solution

Please
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Now I am confused! Where do you get this message?
Do you get this message on my page?

What settings did you use in lighthouse?

This is what I have:
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

scroll down to BEST PRACTICE and see what errors there are
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This is because you have enabled 'generate thumbnails'. This gives the images fixed size, because the thumbnails sizes are based on the display size in the workspace in the default view, as there is no other way to know at which size the gallery will be displayed in the browser.
So for flexible/responsive layouts it is better to disable the option 'generated thumbnails'.
In the current version of WWB, you can configure your own thumbnails with the optimal format.

kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

so if I am reading you right WYSIWYG no longer work as it did with older established sites built on earlier versions like mine

I;m sure thats O.K. with most websites with a handful of images

as i have told you I have 27,000 images on my site for me to do what you are saying would take me MONTHS of work

to say I'm not impressed would be and understatement of the centure, thanks
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I'm sorry but your statement is incorrect. This behavior has not changed.
It works the same as before.

What can I do to make the software better for you?

UPDATE:
In the meantime, I have released an update (build date: 06/01/2021).
In this update, the thumbnail size is approximately 1.5 larger. This should get rid of the 'Best practices' message in lighthouse.
You can download the update here:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/download.html

You can view the result here:
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

See kenswindon, this is why users are happy with Pablo, he does what he can.
What can I do to make the software better for you?
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

Just to trigger kenswindon's attention to your ammended post Pablo, a reply.
UPDATE:
In the meantime, I have released an update (build date: 06/01/2021).
In this update, the thumbnail size is approximately 1.5 larger. This should get rid of the 'Best practice' message in lighthouse.
You can download the update here:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/download.html

kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

I wasn't happy with your diagnosis because of the enormaty of work it would entail, none the less I assumed you had the answer but dispite all the extra work I picked a page and decided to give it a go, this is the page:

https://freeclassicimages.com/Vintage_T ... sters.html

please try this in lighthouse and tell me if you get the same as I do.

I created my own thumbnails, entered them to each image editing in the photo gallery, unchecking generate thumbnails, even changed to resposive although its the same with compatible i now not only have resolution problem in BEST PRACTICE but thumbnail images do not have specific high and width which of course they do in my file.

please let me know if you are not getting this on your PC in chrome lighthouse I would then have to assume my PC is giving false informaion for some reason

If you are getting the same please tell me how to cure these errors.

I am sure somebody else must have had this problem before and surely one of your clever development team has an answer.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

Is your link correct? I am having trouble loading it.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The link does not work for me either.

But did you also try the update (build date: 06/01/2021)?
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

I did just spend half a day doing alterations which didn't work,

then saw your bit about a new update which I've now done

but as I have been saying in message after message its the ASPECT RATION or RESOLUTION or both on every page

so I just used your update and at least as many if not more thumbnail images are incorect aspect ratio

so not fixed

what now
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

my site was down for a little while
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

Things are ever changing with Google and what should be done or shouldn't be done on a website.

Lighthouse is a tool and is to help you optimize your website for a better user experience. Personally, it's not always consistent either. It doesn't mean your site is going to have its traffic diminished if you don't do these things. I'm not sure if I would worry that much about the image ratio unless the ratio is drastic. What I'm saying is don't get too hung up on trying to get 100 score.

There are other issues you may want to concern yourself with instead. For example Alt tags. Your images have alt tags but they are not descriptive. An Alt tag of "c-r-rk05" is not an acceptable tag. Have you considered if your site is accessible to those with disabilities that use screen readers? This is another thing to think about as well.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I just ran the page above you listed and got these scores:

performance = 96
Accessibility = 100
Best Practices = 93
Seo = 100

Were there still some flags? Yes, however your scores are good.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

so not fixed
It works for the project you have shared previously:

However, when I visit this web page:
then it does not look like you have set all galleries to the recommended settings.

For example: PhotoGallery4 and PhotoGallery5 are not responsive. You will need to change the settings for all galleries on the page otherwise will not get better results.

Also, the page contains invalid (manually added) HTML code. This breaks the structure of the page.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

HANG ON

It might now be right

i picked a different page which I haven't been messing about with all day and re published all images again and only 1 image came up with ratio problem I deleted that image and WOW for the first time ever Best Practice 100% but as I suspected this issue affected more areas I also got 100% for seo and accessability first time ever and with 95% performance great.

So there obviously was an issue with Photo Gallery and not me.

many thanks for all your help and patience.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

So there obviously was an issue with Photo Gallery and not me.
There was no issue with the Gallery. I think you have misunderstood what has been happening.
The update just makes Lighthouse happy, it does not make your website any better or faster....
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

The reason I started this is because my site which as been happily trading for 13 years is all about images and image searches, yet in the last 6 monthes visitor numbers have gone down by 75% that has cost me a lot of income.

I'm sure that not only lighthouse but many other bots would have seen that misreading aspect ratios or resolution of all my images in the thumbnails created by this platform as an issue, and as my site is all about images all of which are in photo galleries it makes me very concerned so I ask....

have you actually fixed the issue or have you just told lighthouse bot to ignore it?
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

The following is not necessarily about your website, but in general. A lot can change in 13 years. A nice example is that a bakery should worry about people going for shakes instead of bread. The question remains is, how do you feel where you stand on a philosophical point. Is your website contributing the way it was 13 years ago? Have visitors maybe linked to your site less because they fancy another "brand name" now more? It's not all just tech to survive... ask what you want to do now and perhaps find a solution that will be here for many more years...

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

have you actually fixed the issue or have you just told lighthouse bot to ignore it?
The "issue" with Lighthouse was not about the aspect ratio. It was about the size of the thumbnail images.
What I have done in the latest update, is make the images slightly larger as recommended by Lighthouse. The aspect ratio was related to the 'compatibility' setting, because that setting uses pixels instead of percentages for backward compatibility. So, in your case setting it to responsive has 'fixed' that.

Again, there was nothing that needed to be fixed. It was only a recommendation of Lighthouse which I have implemented in the software especially for you so you can continue to improve your website without having to set the thumbnail images manually.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

are you going to answer my question
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I have already answered your question.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I don't believe your traffic has diminished in the past 6 months simply due to just the aspect ratio being slightly off. Google is not going downgrade your site of 13 years for something like that. I guarantee there are plenty of other sites out there if you look (ex: this page) that have the same issue with the aspect ratio and it doesn't affect them.

Kudos to Pablo for making the changes he did to help your situation and quickly I might add.
kenswindon

Post by kenswindon »

I didn't ask you about my business asked if you actually made any real changes to the photo gallery in that update or did you just tell lighthouse bot to ignore the error

simple enough question