Text Box formatting issues increasing , Freezes , UNDO not working , I am stuck in same place as 4 days ago .

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
matthewthenewbie

Text Box formatting issues increasing , Freezes , UNDO not working , I am stuck in same place as 4 days ago .

Post by matthewthenewbie »

Hello Bacon Fries and Pablo ,

After 4 days since I was here last time ( on a previous but similar topic ) I am back again ,

1 : Pablo , have you issued any new updates for this software yet ? - I am currently on Version 16.3.2 6th of June 2021 on Windows 7 64 Bit .

2 : From my last conversation with you two last time , I had made so much progress on the text box formatting issues I experienced and thought it was the end of my problems , the new column recommendation worked really well , However , things have gone pear shaped again , I will make a list of my issues ( and later a couple of feature requests ) :

A: I feel like the software is freezing or crashing at some point in time , after every 6-12 minutes of use , the mouse will turn into a 4 way arrow or pointed cross shape , and I have to wait until about 3-5 minutes until the pointer is returned to normal , when this happens , I am usually in the middle of dragging something or adjusting text box placements . - Could these crashes/freezes be corrupting my project files somehow ? If so is there any way to increase protection for them ( not just creating lots of copies ) ?

B: Again , in the text box the ALIGN Centre , Justified, Left and Right has failed top work correctly , OR it is happening when it is saving the project before closing the software , please see the 2 different versions of the files linked below , and go to the Footer page on the bottom right column text box , the latest version WILL NOT format to ALIGN LEFT , the preview show it works , but the published does not .

Latest Version : https://www.dropbox.com/s/gk9qv8uweuxr1 ... 2.wbs?dl=0
Previous Version 4 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfzddjhx5dzj2 ... 4.wbs?dl=0

What is the difference between the 2 files ? Can you spot anything I have done wrong ?

C: I am only able to do 2 UNDO changes , on a good time 3-4 UNDO's , but my setting is set to 12 UNDO's , what is it I am doing wrong ?

D: When I click on an item or double tap to enter edit text mode , the UNDO button registers it as an action , even if no edit was made .

E: I am only able to PREVIEW Current Page only , I have tried so many times to PREVIEW WHOLE WEBSITE , but it does not work , am I doing something wrong ?

F: I have also tried to copy text from one area , and paste it ONLY using 'paste text only' but it still brings in the formatting from the original area , formatting only works if you re-type everything by hand again .

G: When I have a block of text that needs refining , I want to select all and use the 'P'aragraph options and want to use 4 pixels before and 9 pixels after , on the live editing view it show the results perfectly , but on 'preview' and even after publish , nothing is shown differently .
The only thing I can get to work for the spacing is the 'Line Spacing' and choose option '2.0' , this works in live editing view , preview and publish .

H: Feature Request : In 'Line Spacing' , like other features (Font Name , Size , Colour ,etc ) when text is selected/highlighted , can we get a number or bullet point to indicate what number it on please ?

I: Feature Request : Can we have an option , to choose what we see whilst editing , to be specific , Hyperlinks ( or Links ) , even in editing view all links show coloured blue and UnderLined , however , in other WYSIWYG's software , there is an option to see the changes you made as you made them , and a button at the top somewhere to highlight all areas , images , texts that have been formatted as a link . It is a pain to constantly preview every single page to check if the links are working , especially if I can not preview the whole website ( see 'E' above ) .

J: Feature Request : Copy text only for use from within the software . ( to compliment 'paste text only' )

K: Feature Request : Like WebPlus X6 , Can the UNDO button list/Specify when 'hovering over' the button , what the previous or next action is or was please ?

L: Feature Request : Can we have an added right click option , when selected text , to be able to choose to 'Remove ALL Formatting' - please ?

I look forward to your input again chaps .
crispy68

Re: Text Box formatting issues increasing , Freezes , UNDO not working , I am stuck in same place as 4 days ago .

Post by crispy68 »

A. I'll let Pablo chime in on this

B. Are you referring to the text box starting with: "Carers Lottery Website Terms and Conditions...."? I have no issues with aligning the text. If not, can you be more specific.

C. Pablo can chime more in on this.

D. Wait for Pablo

E. What happens when you try? I was able to preview it all. However, you have errors. For one, you have multiple objects with the same ID's. If you are using a master page of any sort, the ID's need to be unique and not the same as other ID's on your pages. You can check the error report to see what you need to change. This will cause major issues with things not looking correctly. You need to address all of these errors first before moving on as it may fix other issues you have.

F. It works correctly for me. If I open up a text box, copy the text, then insert a new text box and then paste text only, all the formatting from the original text box is gone. If you are simply copying the text box and pasting the text box its making a duplicate text box.

G. Try selecting the text box, right click to open the properties and change the Output Format to: Use <p> tags

H. That's for Pablo

I. This is for Pablo. However, all internal links will work so need to check those. For outgoing links, you can click on Tools --> verify links to see all outgoing links and verify if they are good or not. See the help on this.

J. This already works. You can always hold down the shift key and choose paste to remove any formatting also.

K. This is for Pablo.

L. This already exists. Double click the text object, select the text, right click and choose remove formatting.

Some suggestions:
1. I would urge you to go page by page and fix any errors you have before you move forward (see E above).

2. Why do you have your pages set to document type: HTML 4.01 Transitional?? I would change this to HTML5

3. You are using a lot of images. Make sure they are resized to the biggest that they need to be before inserting them into WB. Make sure they are also optimized (compressed). If you are using a lot of very large, unoptimized images, this can slow down WB. Also, your images should NOT contain spaces and I would not start them with a number. If you need to separate words in the image name use a hyphen or underscore.

4. Anytime you start a new project, I suggest you get 1 page completely working the way you want without any errors before moving on to making more pages especially if this is new software. WB is very powerful with a lot of options (and better than Serif) so you need to take it slow until you understand the nuances of the software.
matthewthenewbie

Re: Text Box formatting issues increasing , Freezes , UNDO not working , I am stuck in same place as 4 days ago .

crispy68 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:53 pm A. I'll let Pablo chime in on this

B. Are you referring to the text box starting with: "Carers Lottery Website Terms and Conditions...."? I have no issues with aligning the text. If not, can you be more specific.

C. Pablo can chime more in on this.

D. Wait for Pablo

E. What happens when you try? I was able to preview it all. However, you have errors. For one, you have multiple objects with the same ID's. If you are using a master page of any sort, the ID's need to be unique and not the same as other ID's on your pages. You can check the error report to see what you need to change. This will cause major issues with things not looking correctly. You need to address all of these errors first before moving on as it may fix other issues you have.

F. It works correctly for me. If I open up a text box, copy the text, then insert a new text box and then paste text only, all the formatting from the original text box is gone. If you are simply copying the text box and pasting the text box its making a duplicate text box.

G. Try selecting the text box, open the properties and change the Output Format to: Use <p> tags

H. That's for Pablo

I. This is for Pablo. However, all internal links will work so need to check those. For outgoing links, you can click on Tools --> verify links to see all outgoing links and verify if they are good or not. See the help on this.

J. This already works. You can always hold down the shift key and choose paste to remove any formatting also.

K. This is for Pablo.

L. This already exists. Double click the text object, select the text, right click and choose remove formatting.

Some suggestions:
1. I would urge you to go page by page and fix any errors you have before you move forward (see E above).

2. Why do you have your pages set to document type: HTML 4.01 Transitional?? I would change this to HTML5

3. You are using a lot of images. Make sure they are resized to the biggest that they need to be before inserting them into WB. Make sure they are also optimized (compressed). If you are using a lot of very large, unoptimized images, this can slow down WB. Also, your images should NOT contain spaces and I would not start them with a number. If you need to separate words in the image name use a hyphen or underscore.

4. Anytime you start a new project, I suggest you get 1 page completely working the way you want without any errors before moving on to making more pages especially if this is new software. WB is very powerful with a lot of options (and better than Serif) so you need to take it slow until you understand the nuances of the software.
1: …. OK , this is in case I missed out on an update , nothing major . .

A: I think I fixed the problem , I changed the setting from every 5 minutes to every 15 minutes on auto Backup – I hope this fixes the freezing , I will keep you updated .

B: I have put links here of what both instances look like .

1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7i7wd4vfky4k ... 1.png?dl=0
2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6afp93qh0m8gx ... 2.png?dl=0

C: …. Waiting for Pablo .
D: …. Waiting for Pablo .

E: FIXED …. OK , This was completely my fault , plain stupidity on my end ! …. I did not change the setting with the black arrow pointing down underneath the ‘Preview’ button , and in the preview itself I was just pressing the HOME button , only to realise , I used it as an outside link to return back to the website ensuring it uses HTTPS - tried it again clicking on internal links to other of MY website pages now works …. This is now FIXED .

F: … Nope it is not working for me , I am still having significant issues on this . – I am definitely not copying a text box/frame .

G: ….. OK , on this I am lost …. How to change to <P> tags ? -please

H: ….Waiting for Pablo .

I: …. I wont push for this , it was an idea at the time of writing this , I just thought it might be a progress booster , no sweat .

J: …. Thanks for the tip , I also just found select/select all , right click , Remove Formatting .

K: … waiting for Pablo .

L: …oops , I just mentioned this in ‘J’ , sorted 

1: Going to do ‘E’ now , I will be back later with the results …

2: I did not think they make that much difference to this type of website , however I am now trying it in HTML 5 also – but so far HTML still does not fix alignment issues .

3: …OK , although I never had toworry about this in HTML 4 , I will do this renaming for HTML 5 .

4: Completely Agreed  - However it all went downhill , as soon as the software was freezing/static .

OK , I will come back later with more updates , Thanks for your help on this so far Crispy68 , it is a real booster !
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

B. This issue is due to the same ID's. Did you fix all the issues between your master header and master footer? Your master header has a 'text5' and so does the master footer. The reason why the master footer text stays centered and wont left justify is because the text5 in the header is centered. These are conflicting. You need to check all the pages for these ID errors and fix them first. Many of your formatting issues are probably due to the ID issue. Just looking at your original project, the index page alone had 9 ID errors.

F. Works for me. I have no problems copying text from your project and pasting it without the original formatting. Can you provide step by step how you are copying and pasting?

G. Just how I described in my previous post: Try selecting the text box, right click to open the properties and change the Output Format to: Use <p> tags
matthewthenewbie

crispy68 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:21 am B. This issue is due to the same ID's. Did you fix all the issues between your master header and master footer? Your master header has a 'text5' and so does the master footer. The reason why the master footer text stays centered and wont left justify is because the text5 in the header is centered. These are conflicting. You need to check all the pages for these ID errors and fix them first. Many of your formatting issues are probably due to the ID issue. Just looking at your original project, the index page alone had 9 ID errors.

F. Works for me. I have no problems copying text from your project and pasting it without the original formatting. Can you provide step by step how you are copying and pasting?

G. Just how I described in my previous post: Try selecting the text box, right click to open the properties and change the Output Format to: Use <p> tags

OK , I , Thanks to ALL 3 of you ( Pablo , Bacon Fries and Crispy68 ) I finally fixed all the issues !

The Freezing immediately stopped when I changed the AutoBackup time from 5 to 15 minutes , no issues now .

Also I have spent the past hour renaming EVERY single item's ID ( Text and Images ) in the Header Master Page and the Footer Master Page , and this FIXED ALL the other ISSUES I experienced !

I made it so it would list as follows :

On the Master Header Page - Header Assets ID :
Images - - - - - - - - HeaderImage001 , HeaderImage002 , HeaderImage003 , HeaderImage004 , HeaderImage005 , etc etc ...
Text ( Boxes ) - - - HeaderText001 , HeaderText002 , HeaderText003 , HeaderText004 , HeaderText005 , etc etc ...

On the Master Footer Page - Footer Assets ID :
Images - - - - - - - - FooterImage001 , FooterImage002 , FooterImage003 , FooterImage004 , FooterImage005 , etc etc ...
Text ( Boxes ) - - - FooterText001 , FooterText002 , FooterText003 , FooterText004 , FooterText005 , etc etc ...

I did wonder why this was so necessary , I remember way back in the late 1990's , learning HTML , everything had to have it's own unique name , but I guess I got lazy ( really lazy ! ) , because WebPlus X6 and the other always offered both embedded image/text placement with automatic ID name referencing , See the Pictures attached .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgfchhm2l3al5 ... 1.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrwgnn5ch9904 ... 2.png?dl=0

I do have one question left if someone can answer it for please ?

Q : Is there some sort of Asset/Item Manager where I can see a list of ALL and organise ALL the items ( both images and text boxes etc ) on each and every page - and able to rename their ID's from within the manager itself ?

Anyway so far so good .

Thanks again for your help , a massive boost has lifted me out of technical jargon depression .
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

To make sure all IDs are unique, enable 'Include page name in automatically generated IDs' in Tools -> Options -> HTML

You can rename IDs via the Object Manager.

Undo in the text editor is standard Windows functionality. It is implemented in richedit / msftedit.dll I have no control over how this works.

Note that it's very confusing to put all issues, questions and suggestions in one post.
Can you please use a different topic for each question you have? See also the forum rules.

You can post suggestions here:
viewforum.php?f=28
If more users find your suggestions useful then I will consider it for future development.