Not WYSIWYG Anymore ?

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
WellsFargoWitzdotcom

Not WYSIWYG Anymore ?

Post by WellsFargoWitzdotcom »

I have been using Web Builder since about 2011, my needs are simple but I still like to show my support for Web Builder by paying for the upgrades, the only one I missed was Version 15... I went from 14 to 16. All the other versions were WYSIWYG. For example, I would put text into a text box and it would show up the same way when published. The Version 16 is not like that at all. Now I put it in a text box, put in text, and preview or publish. The text extends past the boundaries. The font style looks right but the spacing between lines and font size when published is bigger causing the text to extend on to other objects.

I am probably using it wrong but it always worked before just fine. I tried to read some of the 'must reads' but nothing I glanced at clearly relates and the entire business of 'responsive design' is beyond me so maybe it has something to do with that. Sorry to be asking such a basic question but it always worked in perfect WYSIWYG before the v. 16. I took screenprints of a portion of the webbuilder and resulting site: https://www.goodshipginsburg.com/page2.html
Pablo

Re: Not WYSIWYG Anymore ?

Post by Pablo »

This is most likely an issue with the DPI configuration.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85917

If you need further assistance then please share a demo project so I can see all your settings.
WellsFargoWitzdotcom

That did not appear to change anything but I will experiment more to be sure. Another problem I am having is that I set links to "Open in New Window or Frame" and when I click it opens in the same window. I go back to the project, open up the link (ctrl-k) and notice it changed itself to 'open in same window'.

Version 14 did not seem to have those quirks. I never had ANY problems using Pablo, even for some fancy graphics on www.DoggyMcStyleLAW.com . My feeling is that I do not have the v. 16 software options set up correctly.

Please understand: I have successfully used several different versions of Pablo WYSIWYG. I was always AMAZED because the software worked so well. Imagine my dismay when I purchased v. 16, input a text box, did a 'preview' and instead of the text being on one line, it wrapped onto two lines.

I skipped v. 15 so cannot comment on that one. But v. 16 is just plain BROKEN the way I see it at this point. Any user of any skill level should be able to download the software, insert a text box, type some text, preview/publish and have it look just like it did in the project. If that doesn't happen they are unlikely to buy your software.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Another problem I am having is that I set links to "Open in New Window or Frame" and when I click it opens in the same window.
Maybe you are using a file link. This will always open in the same window.

If there were any known issues with WB16 then they would have already been fixed by now.
I am pretty sure this is related to your DPI configuration.

If you need further assistance then please share a demo project so I can see your settings.
I do not need to entire website. Only a small demo with one page.
Related FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82134
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

WellsFargoWitzdotcom wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:30 pm That did not appear to change anything but I will experiment more to be sure. Another problem I am having is that I set links to "Open in New Window or Frame" and when I click it opens in the same window. I go back to the project, open up the link (ctrl-k) and notice it changed itself to 'open in same window'.

I use this all the time and have no issues (V16)

Are you sure you hit 'save' to save it? Can you go back and check before and after you publish?

Alan
WellsFargoWitzdotcom

Alan... THANK YOU (!) how could I possibly have missed THAT? With v. 14 I could preview/publish without saving. Probably different defaults on v. 14 was set to save/publish. It seems like there is more flexibility built in to v. 16. By that I mean more parameters that can be adjusted depending on need so it works differently 'out of the box'. My problem with the new window? v. 14 defaulted to _blank. v. 16 appears to require definitive setting with the dropdown OR it will turn itself back into a 'SAME WINDOW'. Live and learn. I will continue working with it and I could always go back to v. 14 as I haven't converted my prior projects (which are mostly to store info and to amuse myself).

Still, my experience is probably typical and if so should concern Pablo. I downloaded Pablo in 2011 and all the versions since except the v. 15 (didn't upgrade). Without changing any settings... first thing I do is insert a text box, input some text, adjust sizing to make a crude 'test title' , and preview or publish. Saving it was not essential from what I recall. It was always WYSIWYG.

I did the exact same thing with v.16 and it wrapped to the next line. I tried expanding the textbox beyond the text... didn't help. So the absolute most simple basic function simply does not work in the software as downloaded.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I did the exact same thing with v.16 and it wrapped to the next line. I tried expanding the textbox beyond the text... didn't help.
I still think this is related to your DPI configuration. If you use the same settings as in WB14 then you will get the same results.

If you need further assistance then please share a demo project so I can see your settings.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I have been a user of the software since WB4 and the Editbox or as you call it text box hasn't changed. As for your other issue again this still works the same. To be able to help better it is asked that you provide a demo project (.wbs) this doesn't need to be your full project just a demo / copy of the page you are having the issue with this is so we can see what properties you have set / applied. When sharing please remove all extensions / extra code you may have added once you have this you can upload the demo to your own site and provide a url so to download from. As previously mentioned please check the DPI settings in WB and that of your PC / Laptop.
WellsFargoWitzdotcom

Thank you, I noticed the very kind invitation .. what I was trying to say in my own bumbling after the other replies way is that I feel it is my responsibility to go back to the software and try a little harder/longer. I see this version has more options that need to be in sync. I feel my mistake was posting some frustrated message without realizing the effects of the added functionality and skipping v. 15 certainly did not help.

Still... Pablo may want to take a moment and try inputting a text box as I described just to make sure the current download version doesn't have some obscure setting that would cause the 'out of the box' version to not behave WYSIWYG. Past that it is something on my end.... and I will check the device DPI as well. Thank you.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Pablo may want to take a moment and try inputting a text box as I described
But without knowing the settings you have used how can a answer be given. The settings Pablo may use could be different. He won't have any idea what font size / style used or have you used paragraphs or divs or line spacing for its rendering.

Its like saying to a mechanic my Lamborghini is making strange noises and I know you have a Lamborghini is it making strange noises to? So as previously asked it is always best to provide a demo project that way every setting can be seen and then repeated to see if it can be duplicated or not.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Still... Pablo may want to take a moment and try inputting a text box as I described just to make sure the current download version doesn't have some obscure setting that would cause the 'out of the box' version to not behave WYSIWYG.
I am sure the textbox works correct. If there were any issues then other users would have the same problem and it would have already been fixed.
WellsFargoWitzdotcom

Pablo, I gave it some more effort but.. I am not having success. :( I made a screenprint from Pablo and from my website and put them on https://www.goodshipginsburg.com/page2.html The top image is from Pablo. The bottom image is from the root site.

I feel that when you glance at the area with black highlighting and white lettering you will immediately sense the cause of the problem I am having. I stand ready to provide any other info you need. I will check every couple hours when I am not sleeping (I am in Oregon) .

Thank you again. From Andy oh... the project zip file can be downloaded from this page: https://www.goodshipginsburg.com/page1.html
Last edited by WellsFargoWitzdotcom on Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I will check every couple hours when I am not sleeping (I am in Oregon) .
Due to the time difference between yourself and the forum= (European Time) Pablo may not reply to this till the morning.
WellsFargoWitzdotcom

Or anyone else who can answer. :) Pablo has to sleep and when he gets up I am sure he has more important things to do than answer my sorry question. He is amazing...does the work of a dozen or so regular folks.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Based on the screenshot it looks like the text is published larger than in the editor. This is related to the DPI configuration. The DPI controls how text is scaled.

WellsFargoWitzdotcom

Solved. If anyone else reports similar, they can try Windows scaling setting. Mine was set at 125%. I set it to 100% , restarted computer... still did not work.

Here is the WIERD PART: Then I noticed my TEXT SIZE in Pablo had changed (yeah...all by itself ok?) from 10 to 8 point. So I ctrl-A each text box and changed font from 8 pt. back to 10. As soon as I changed it back to 10 point... works great.

In summary: it does not appear it had anything to do with the internal DPI settings as I ended up 'unchecking' the two DPI options in tools-options-user interface. It appears it was entirely due to my 'scaling' in Win-10 (how it got to 125% I will never know, it is a pre-owned device), not the one I have prior versions installed.
Last edited by WellsFargoWitzdotcom on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Note that scaling settings in Windows is actually controls the DPI!
100% = 96 DPI
125% = 120 DPI
150% = 144 DPI
etc

So, 125% means that the text-size will be scaled 125%
The internal DPI setting adapts the scaling factor automatically.
WellsFargoWitzdotcom

THAT was the 'devious' part. If anyone using Win-10 reports WYSIWYG problem:

1. Check windows scaling. S/B 100%. Restart machine if you change it.

2. Re-open the project. Check/adjust the font size of any text you already entered

The problem has got to be incredibly rare but as a possible future refinement the software could detect/warn of non-100% windows scaling.