Self-hosted Premium Video Player

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
jerryco

Self-hosted Premium Video Player

Post by jerryco »

I felt lazy, and I have a question, for those who are already into the subject. I have a perfect MP4 file, that allows to be streamed through the HTML5 Video Player (from WB 14). I have it set to fill entire browser window, what I will always want to use.

However, the file is streamed as if compressed on the spot, and the image is far more vague than the MP4 file involved (when opening it in Windows 10).

Local view

Browser view

Anybody got the golden tip?
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
Pablo

Re: Self-hosted Premium Video Player

Post by Pablo »

I think the quality is controlled by the browser. WWB has not control over this.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

Well, it's vague in three browsers. Will do some research to see if it goes like this with all players. Question Pablo, does the "WWB Video Player" have "Fill the entire browser window" support in WWB now (or 17?). Just curious!
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The WWB video player is basically a HTML5 video player but with custom styling. The player itself is standard browser functionality.
So, if you need "Fill the entire browser window" then you can use the HTML5 player instead, because in that case the styling is not needed anyway.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

Ah that's useful information, thanks.

jerryco

Post by jerryco »

Just a side question Pablo, are there any new developments in "Video Player" land since version 14? I expected some more options in the Extension Manager. *Is* there even such a thing as a video player that does not use the same specs as HTML5 Video Player? Flash excluded, ofcoarse?

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

In modern web design, all video players are based on HTML5. That is the standard.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

I should do my own Googling ofcoarse, but hoping to find the video expert in the mean time... Pablo do you think there technically could be a video player with better video quality?

crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I don't think in general the html5 video player has any control over the quality. It's more dependent on the the video format and how your video was made and compressed. You may want to convert the video to other formats so that browsers have additional choices.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

I find it quite inacceptible that a standard video player does not return input as output. To be complete, the source is a MTS file from my camcorder, turned into "Standard" MPEG-4 with Magix Videodeluxe Premium (great stuff!). This gives me about 30 seconds of video (sharp as you can see in the first screenshot) in only 25,4 MB.

crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

That's great but mpeg4 is not exactly the same thing as mp4. Anytime you compress a video down, there could be a slight loss due to the compression you use. There are different levels of mp4 compression also. A video player just 'plays' the video. It doesn't change the quality of your video.
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

But why is the video more vague in the player than on my local system?

Anyway, I'll simply accept it as my trial and error has never resulted in such great (local) quality in such small file size. Waiting for the industry to keep up! Meanwhile, using this, hey, Oct. 10 is my birth day, maybe we have 17 and a new html5 video player by then? Who Knows!

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

maybe we have 17 and a new html5 video player by then
The HTML5 Video player is what it is so I doubt it will be updated. Please remember Pablo did not invent the HTML Player it was only added to the software to allow users to play back videos to which it is the browser that is responsible for how it is rendered.
Some useful reading
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The HTML5 video player functionality is implemented in the browser, not in WWB. I cannot change how it works.
WWB just adds a 'place holder' to the page, so the browser knows where to render the video.

- WWB does not have any video functionality itself. Everything is implemented in the browser.
- WWB does not change the quality of the video. The video will be publish "AS IS"/.
- WWB cannot provide a "NEW" HTML 5 video player. Only browsers can update the player functionality.