phpBB3 setup functions

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
alex4orly

phpBB3 setup functions

Post by alex4orly »

Hello all,

In this Pablo Software forum, we are using this package. Like me, there may be here other members who are using that same package for one or more of their websites, so my posting this time is nothing todo with the package has been offering us for many years and with which I am personally happy with.

In the phpBB3 package, there are certain default setting I personally don't like, I found some existing extensions that work well and I am sharing my experience with you.

1) To have the "Remember me" I use : vinny/rememberme
2) To not forget "Notify me when a reply is posted" to be checked by default, I use : vinny/autosubscription . In my mind, it makes sense to have this set by default, otherwise, some people (me included) may forget at times to check that box, and they continue waiting for a feedback.

Those two can be set by the ACP, and the individual users can switch them off at their end through the UCP.

I have one more function that I am missing, when someone in the forum is doing a Private or Group PM, I want all the group registered users to get an email notifying them about it. I tried several extensions but none that I was happy with. Yes I know, there is an option in the UCP to turn this ON by default, but this then depends on all users doing this setup. Instead, I am looking for a way to do it Globally by the forum Administrator.

So, is anyone here, experienced and has any suggestion on this one?

Cheers
Alex
BaconFries

Re: phpBB3 setup functions

Post by BaconFries »

The best place to get answers on phpBB settings and its use is probably over at the phpBB forum itself Alex they will be able to say or not or will it need a mod.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

BaconFries wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:02 am The best place to get answers on phpBB settings and its use is probably over at the phpBB forum itself Alex they will be able to say or not or will it need a mod.
Hello again,
Yes I know - I am asking over there, but this forum here, will forever remain my preferred discussion forum. I will be surprised if I am the only member using this package.

Take care of yourself
Alex
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I run several forums myself using BB. But I use someone elses servers and set up. If there's something I need, I ask the admin and generally, he gives me a yes or no answer quickly.

I did try creating one on my home server which worked but was far too much of a faff to maintain.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

There may be others using but I think it really depends on does the end user (client) require a forum incorporated. Hopefully you will get help.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

BaconFries wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:28 am There may be others using but I think it really depends on does the end user (client) require a forum incorporated. Hopefully you will get help.
Thanks again
Cheers
Alex