Stable PHP version

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Brian Lambert

Stable PHP version

Post by Brian Lambert »

Dear learned WYSIWYG Web Builders,

Yesterday I upgraded to version 17 and this morning I received a message from my web hosting company - One.com (copied below). The text they have sent may as well have been written in Latin! I really don't understand what it all means?? Can anyone explain or help?

Anyway, after receiving the message and as the web site (www.favershammrc.org.uk) was last uploaded with V16 software, I fully uploaded the whole web site again this morning to their servers from the V17 I'm now using.
Do I need to do anything?? What is CMS and add ons? Are these part of V17 software?? Sorry, in my case if it doesn't work on clicking the upload button I'm lost!

Oh, I note the V17 file uploading box has altered and the uploading files are no longer shown in the lower (white) text box, now they appear just along the header portion instead! That confused me initially! :(

Many thanks for your anticipated help.
Regards.
Brian.

Message from One.com.....
Dear Brian

During the first weeks of November, we will change "the latest stable PHP version" on our servers from version 7.4 to 8.0.

Because you use the latest stable version as the PHP version on your webspace for favershammrc.org.uk, you may experience issues after the update, such as error messages or plugins not working correctly.

If your website isn’t working correctly after the update, we recommend that you first update your CMS and add-ons to the latest version. If this doesn’t solve it, you can manually downgrade back to PHP version 7.4 from the one.com control panel. This version will be available until it reaches end-of-life next year on 28 November 2022.
Pablo

Re: Stable PHP version

Post by Pablo »

You can set the supported PHP version in the page properties. By default, it is set to PHP5 - PHP8

Note that WWB is not a CMS, so I think they are referring to WordPress, Joomla etc.
In general, updating the PHP version will not affect WWB websites.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

FWIW:
WWB16 has PHP5-PHP7
WWB17 has PHP5-PHP8
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

Thanks chaps excellent news.. So re uploading the site from the new V17 will cover this PHP uplift. :D
Thanks
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

You'll need to change the value in Page Properties > Advanced for each page.

EDIT:
You have until 28 November 2022 to do this!
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

WWBman wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:08 pm You'll need to change the value in Page Properties > Advanced for each page.
Hi
Page properties/Advanced states PHP Properties PHP5 - PHP8. So I assume that will cover all? (until PHP 9 comes along!!)
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

The pages of existing projects built with WWB16 will probably have a value of either PHP4 or PHP5-PHP7.
This value will not change automatically by publishing with WWB17.
So to use PHP8 the value for each page published will have to be changed to PHP5-PHP8.
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

Hm.... Each page Properties automatically states PHP5-PHP8. So V17 has automatically added PHP8 compatibility it seems to me?
All I've done now is upload them all to the hosting site. Which unless I'm not seeing something, should make them all compatible with PHP8 ?
See screen shot below.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

All I've done now is upload them all to the hosting site. Which unless I'm not seeing something, should make them all compatible with PHP8 ?
Correct
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

WWBman

Post by WWBman »

@Pablo, I've loaded several of my old projects in WWB17 and the value has stayed the same, i.e. PHP4 has stayed at PHP4.
Is it just when they use PHP5-PHP7 that is automatically changed to PHP5-PHP8?
If so, I understand.
WWBman

Post by WWBman »

Apologies Brian for misleading you.
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

All ok :D
Thanks for all the help
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Is it just when they use PHP5-PHP7 that is automatically changed to PHP5-PHP8?
Yes