Website won't launch on new PC.

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
NCBryan

Website won't launch on new PC.

Post by NCBryan »

I have searched and searched the forums and tried many suggestions without any success. I have a new PC and used WB7 to edit one of my companies web pages on a weekly basis. It worked fine (and still does on the old PC) but I continue to get errors on new PC. First I got the error that stated the website was created on a newer version on WB. So I upgraded to WB16, still get the error. I have tried to copy files in more places that I know. ALL the website files are on our work server. When I try to open the website on my PC, I go to the website on the server. I get the error 'The project could not be loaded. Make sure you install the same version of the application (or newer) as the one that was used to create this project. Make sure all extensions used by this project have been installed. I am at a loss and need help please. Please note that I am not a website designer but rather an employee that uses Web Builder to update the same page with current information on a weekly basis.

Thanks in advance
Bryan
Pablo

Re: Website won't launch on new PC.

Post by Pablo »

Usually this error means that there extensions are missing which have been used in the project.
The quickest way to make sure all files are available on the new computer is by copying the entire 'Document \WYSIWYG Web Builder' folder.

See also:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... =10&t=1884

If that does not help, then I need a copy of the project so I can check if something is wrong with it.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Question what version of Windows is the "New" PC running?. On viewing your site that was made with WB7 the source of the pages don't show any extensions used. But I did notice that on the home page you have used the old version of the YouTube object that used "Flash". This could explain why it won't load in your "New" PC if it happens to be running Windows 10 as "Flash" is no longer supported or used in WB16. As mentioned by Pablo ensure all files and folders used in WB7 are installed on your "New" and try opening again. If that fails to then you can provide a copy of the project i.e. the .wbs file for inspection.
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

Old PC and New PC are running Windows 10 Professional. That shouldn't be the problem. I do agree that the website is old and the videos are outdated and linked to Youtube videos. I thought I copied all the files from all folders to the new PC but evidently not. I will try that again and see if I can figure it out. I will update this post once I try that and let you know if that worked.
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

OK I tried all of the above and still getting same error. I think part of my problem is the actual website is on our server and my Wsyiwyg is on my PC. I tried copying the files from server to my PC and that didn't work. I do the file open and then access the .wbs file from the server and still get the error. Since all the files are on the server, they never changed and they are where they have always been. Should the System Folder be on the server too or should that link to my local PC? I still have access to my old pc and all the system folder information is the same, that is why I don't understand why it isn't working?
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

Pablo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:22 pm Usually this error means that there extensions are missing which have been used in the project.
The quickest way to make sure all files are available on the new computer is by copying the entire 'Document \WYSIWYG Web Builder' folder.

See also:
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... =10&t=1884

If that does not help, then I need a copy of the project so I can check if something is wrong with it.
What is the best way to get you a copy of the .wbs file?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The best way to copy a projetc to another computer, is by copying the entire 'Document\WYSIWYG Web Builder' folder.
In that case, you will have all files. Including extensions, templates, blocks etc.
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

So I copied (again) the Documents file as instructed. Tried to open the website using the same shortcut as on the OLD computer. Get an error 'Halo Text.wbx' could not be loaded. Then it attempted to download and install it automatically and said 'halotext' successfully installed. When I click OK I get the error "The 'halotext' extension [index:Extention 1] could not be loaded. Please install missing extension before you continue. If I click YES to continue anyway I then get the error "The project could not be loaded. Make sure you install the same version of the application (or newer)" error.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

"halo text.wbx" is not a valid extension name.
It should be either
halotext.uwbx (32bit)
or
halotext.wbx64 (64 bit)
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

As you can tell, I know nothing about extension, etc. When I go into extension manager, it clearly shows halo text installed. I have no clue why I get the error message and then all the other errors. I am sure it is something very simple that I am doing wrong, but for the life of me, I can not figure it out....
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Did you install the same version of the software on the new computer?
Maybe on the old computer you had the 32bit version?
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

Let me just explore something, NCBryan. You said in your first post "ALL the website files are on our work server." But... to update files on the server, you would require a local source .wbs project file that you change and upload. Is this the principle you use?
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

I open Wysiwyg on my local PC and then access the .wbs file on our server. That is the way I have always done it without any problems and it opens right up but ever since I got my new PC, it doesn't work and I get the error messages stating the version problems.

Pablo, both computers were 64 bit. How would I check which version Wysiwyg I have on my old computer?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You can check the version number in the 'About Box'

Did you make sure all extensions are the same on both computers? Did you copy all files from the old to the new computer?
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Also, I wonder if someone else has it open. You could try copying the WBS file and the equivalent folder to a local drive and then try and open it from there.

Alan
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

If you are comfortable with this, rename your WB folder to something like 'old WB7' (or whatever you choose), or copy it all to a usb drive and then delete it from your pc, and then reinstall the software.
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

Pablo, the version number on the OLD PC is 7.6.4. It doesn't say whether it is 32bit or 64bit. Can you determine that from the version number? The NEW PC is version 16.0.2 and says (64bit) at the top of the window. The OLD PC only says 'About WYSIWYG Web Builder'.

I copied all the files from my OLD PC to the NEW PC and put them in the same folders as before but don't think this is the problem because all of the website files are on the server and when I open the .wbs file from the server it should already have everything linked to the server file locations.
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

Nobody else has the file open. My local PC is the only machine that has WYSIWYG on it.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

the version number on the OLD PC is 7.6.4. It doesn't say whether it is 32bit or 64bit.
Then is will be 32-bit as there was no 64-bit for WB7. What extensions are you using in WB7 what are there version number. If using the 64-bit of WB16 then please ensure you have installed the equivalent versions i.e. 64-bit extensions for 64-bit WB16. Note if you are trying to open any .wbs (WB16) with WB7 then it is not possible this is due to any "New" feature in WB16 is not compatible with WB7. For it to work both PC's must be running the exact same version number the same applies for extensions. It is possible to open WB7 aslong as you have copied all files and folders to WB16
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If you need further assistance then please share your project file so I can check if you have used any extensions in your project and if these are still available for the 64bit version.
NCBryan

Post by NCBryan »

So Pablo's recommendation of checking whether the old version was 32 or 64 bit was the problem. Old version was 32 bit and new version was 64 bit. I uninstalled the 64 bit program and re-installed the 32 bit version and it worked like a charm. Sorry it took me so long to get that done and respond to the thread. Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions to help me fix this. All is well now!