Customer Service

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Rob

Customer Service

Post by Rob »

If a client or customer asked you to implement a decision exactly as they say, and you know it is a bad shortsighted decision and there is a better way to accomplish the same result, but they are insistent it is their way or the highway, would you do it and for how much and why?
I know there are two sides to this debate. Asking for a friend...
The Website Guy - MN
Small Business Web Design
bkjohns

Re: Customer Service

Post by bkjohns »

Personally, if you can do it then do it if that is what they demand. But a paper trail such as emails or letters, etc. that list your concerns and their insistence would be a good ace to hold should their way cause problems down the road.
Rob

Post by Rob »

bk - does "existing client relationship" change this at all and how much do you press to find common ground on the best way to move forward? Once, twice?
The Website Guy - MN
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Sit round a table and talk about it. Find out why they want it that way and see if you can make it work. If you still think it's wrong, then tell them - in a nice way - and document their decision.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Rob wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:53 pm If a client or customer asked you to implement a decision exactly as they say, and you know it is a bad shortsighted decision and there is a better way to accomplish the same result, but they are insistent it is their way or the highway, would you do it and for how much and why?
Depending what version are the most time-consuming and expensive... give them the price options... use to get people on track, and of cause the documentation as mentioned with all drawbacks and forwards.
"Make My Day"

See my Website
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

A good question and situation to raise Rob.
I'm with bkjohns and Bluesman on this.
I had a Client that engaged me to design and build a website for them - then proceeded to give me powerpoint pages exactly how he wanted it laid out. I hated the bland word document look but did it because that's what the Client wanted. A subsequent platform migration gave me the opportunity to redesign the website.
It's a strange world when people engage a professional and then tell the professional what and how to do it.

But we live in the world we've got, not the one we want. :wink:
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
GrahamW

Post by GrahamW »

I had a situation once where a customer told me everything they wanted and I said it can be done but due to web design guidelines governed by Google your site would not be indexed and therefor not a viable option to go down that track.
Once they realised there was certain guidelines to follow they then realised ther error of what they wanted and left it up to me. They just assumed you put something in a word document and transposed it onto a web site and your done, they had no idea of responsive and layouts etc of what would work and what would not.

I think once you can explain there is certian factors you need to follow to get the site up in the correct manner so it has the best chance of indexing and everything working as it should you have half a chance of getting them to come around.

Graham
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

They just assumed you put something in a word document and transposed it onto a web site and your done
They are definitely not alone in that thought - unfortunately :? :D
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia
zinc

Post by zinc »

Rob wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:53 pm If a client or customer asked you to implement a decision exactly as they say, and you know it is a bad shortsighted decision and there is a better way to accomplish the same result, but they are insistent it is their way or the highway, would you do it and for how much and why?
I would not take the job on. I have let many projects go as I knew it would not be me....

My opinion of course.
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
lummis

Post by lummis »

If you are wavering just ask yourself "would I want this website in a showcase of my work?"

Brian
zinc

Post by zinc »

lummis wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:58 am If you are wavering just ask yourself "would I want this website in a showcase of my work?"

Brian
Well said!!!!!
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
Rob

Post by Rob »

This situation was for an existing client. A non-profit with a board of directors and had just completed a redesign and moving into the maintenance faze.

My "crime" was I knew the decision (not necessarily design wise even though we butted heads on that too but moreover the choice of contact forms used for sensitive information) was not in their best interest and I pushed too hard - not disrespectfully but was dismissed without full explanation and I didn't let it go. I tried to make sure the entire board knew and the potential repercussions of this decision and the person I was working with did not appreciate it. I was deemed "difficult" to work with moving forward. At the end of the day, I think this was a matter of the client (who I was working with) wanting to take over management because from my experience, she cant play well with others. Her way or the highway. Just my take on it. I might be wrong. With all of that being said, I DO understand their concerns. Sometimes you just want your way without being questioned. Allrightlythen.

The proverbial question moving forward is - Do I follow orders or do what is right? I choose to do what I think is in the best interest of the client. That is my job. 8 years and still learning better ways to find a better balance between giving what the client wants and what they deserve without compromising my standards or upsetting them too much.

Cannot please everyone all of the time.
The Website Guy - MN
jerryco

Post by jerryco »

If they have trouble in their hierarchy I would consider immediately pulling out. It's not a designers task to fight the entire organization and restructure it. Just design and skip the rest would be my suggestion to you.
// Love is the acceptance of nothing / Account age is no guarantee of efficiency ;-) ->

Above, Beyond, and @wwonderfull! <- Genuinely helps you with a powered up site that counts! Four Times Excellence!
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Rob wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:26 pm This situation was for an existing client. A non-profit with a board of directors and had just completed a redesign and moving into the maintenance faze.

My "crime" was I knew the decision (not necessarily design wise even though we butted heads on that too but moreover the choice of contact forms used for sensitive information) was not in their best interest and I pushed too hard - not disrespectfully but was dismissed without full explanation and I didn't let it go. I tried to make sure the entire board knew and the potential repercussions of this decision and the person I was working with did not appreciate it. I was deemed "difficult" to work with moving forward. At the end of the day, I think this was a matter of the client (who I was working with) wanting to take over management because from my experience, she cant play well with others. Her way or the highway. Just my take on it. I might be wrong. With all of that being said, I DO understand their concerns. Sometimes you just want your way without being questioned. Allrightlythen.

The proverbial question moving forward is - Do I follow orders or do what is right? I choose to do what I think is in the best interest of the client. That is my job. 8 years and still learning better ways to find a better balance between giving what the client wants and what they deserve without compromising my standards or upsetting them too much.

Cannot please everyone all of the time.
Welcome to my world of difficult Clients :lol:
Seriously though, I see this as a classic case of Damned if You DO - Damned If You Don't.
Damned if You Do - You, for good reason, assert your professional recommendations, seeking comfort in the Client adopting your recommendations and maintaining your professional integrity - but the Client isn't happy.
Damned if You Don't - "Bight Your Lip" and "Grin and Bear It" experiencing the chagrin of going with the Client, compromising your integrity and knowing that what is in place is not technically and functionally in the Client's interest - but the Client is happy.
The matter is complicated by two factors:
1) They are an existing Client - with an existing reliance on what you previously provided. Were they a new Client it would be easier to say "sorry, I'm not comfortable putting my name, business and reputation against this, I suggest you find someone else".
2) You've said they are one person representing a Board business structure - That one is ALWAYS a potential mine field. In those cases I always seek to clarify who is engaging me and who I have the mandate to contact - just that representative or access to second opinions/perspectives/decisions from Board members. Additionally, the person representing the Board may have some positional/personal "baggage" :roll: , I've had some doozies. Where they want to appear in control - at any cost and don't realize that the control also involves controlling towards the best project outcome.

Do you follow orders or do what is right? - IMHO, there is no one definable uncontestable answer to this. You are perfectly within your rights, in the interest of protecting you, your business and reputation, to do what is right. Conversely, others quite rightly would say you have a responsibility to follow the Client's orders. Neither are right or wrong - just a decision you make that underpins your Business ethos.

Constructively and as a great friend Rob - unless I had the mandate, I wouldn't have approached the Board. If you DID have the mandate then ignore this. Frustrating I know.

All of the above said, don't beat yourself up over ONE client situation (and yes, I'm the worst person in the world to follow that advice :lol: ) - seek comfort in ALL the other Clients, many of whom gave you those well deserved testimonials. 8)
Yours truly
Colin M
Western Australia