*** SOLVED *** Copntact Form does not send emzil

Issues related to forms.
stephenmolnar

*** SOLVED *** Copntact Form does not send emzil

Post by stephenmolnar »

I have encountered a problem with a web site that I'm building. I have used the Form Wizard to build a Contact Form on the feedback.html page. 'Enter' generates the error message, but I can find no problem with the Form template or the Advance Form Processor Properties template.

I have contacted StableHost, my hosting service, and AT&T, my ISP. At this point I am still waiting for a response from my ISP.

I have put the short site I wrote to test the Contact form, and have uploaded to my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u18lbtzvmclsb ... y.wbs?dl=0

The site is published at teat.insilicochemistry.net

Here is the email exchange with StableHost:

This message was sent to the following 2 people: Stephen Molnar, StableHost Support. Replying to this email will notify them.

As I can see the domain "sbcglobal.net" not pointing to us. also, it uses an external MX record.
https://dnschecker.org/#MX/sbcglobal.net
https://dnschecker.org/#NS/sbcglobal.net
So you should contact your email provider for more relevant assistance

Thank you..!

Satyam

StableHost
Powered by Intercom
On Sat, May 27, 2023 at 09:58 AM, "Satyam Chaudhari" <satyam.chaudhari@stablehost-15206dc6bd10.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

Hello Stephen Molnar

Give me a moment please. I am looking into this.
On Sat, May 27, 2023 at 08:41 AM, "Stephen Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Making progress.

I completed the the 'Mail Engine' tab form on the 'Advanced Form Processor Properties' form. Then

When I attempted sending a comment from the revised webpage, I got 'Oops Error' from the 'error.htlm' page.

Screenshots are attached.

I really appreciate the help.
Attachments icon Screenshot 2023-05-27 082046.png
Attachments icon Screenshot 2023-05-27 082120.png
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 03:30 PM, "Sid_Pagar" <sid_pagar@stablehost-15206dc6bd10.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I have checked your script and noticed that, you have built the form for your website from which you want to receive the mail to your email ID. In that form, you have mentioned the mailfrom function call, but there is no any data exactly from where the system can send the mail to your email.

You have to define the email ID, password and host under your form.
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 03:15 PM, "Sid_Pagar" <sid_pagar@stablehost-15206dc6bd10.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Please allow me some moments to check with your issue, I will update you very soon regarding the same.
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 03:00 PM, "Stephen Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

WHich SMTP Settings? THe one for s.molnar@sbcglobal.net?
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 11:20 AM, "Bhushan S." <bhushan.s@stablehost-15206dc6bd10.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Please give it a check once again now.

If you still face any issues kindly provide us the steps to check the SMTP settings and steps to re-create the issue at our end.

Thank you
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 11:08 AM, "Stephen Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Screenshot is attached.
Attachments icon Screenshot 2023-05-26 110535.png
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 10:12 AM, "Abhishek Kalamkar" <abhishek.kalamkar@stablehost-15206dc6bd10.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

I have not received a response from you for some time and will need to end this session. If you need further assistance, please log back in to Live Chat. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you.
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 08:28 AM, "Abhishek Kalamkar" <abhishek.kalamkar@stablehost-15206dc6bd10.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Can you please provide the email settings screenshot here which you are using?

Thank you.
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 08:17 AM, "Stephen Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I have been working on my website insilicochemistry.net and have gotten to the point where I am satisfied with the results with excretion of the Contact (feedback) page. I am using the wbb S9ite Builder I have installed on my Windows 10 Laptop to generate the code;. I am using the subdomain test.insilicochemistry.net for testing.

I have uploaded simplified code consisting of a Home page and a feedback page with master_page, error and thankyou pages. When I submit the email, the fields of the form clear but the email is not sent.

I would appreciate it if my code could be examined for errors before I contact WWB Site Builder support with the problem.

Thanks in advance.

-- Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. https://insilicochemistry.net (614)312-7528 (c) Skype: smolnar1

intercom
Pablo

Re: Copntact Form does not send emzil

Post by Pablo »

Did you read the FAQ about this topic?
viewtopic.php?t=32967

If the email are not sent, then this means that the properties are not correct.
Are you sure the SMTP configuration is correct? Also, are you allowed to send emails from the 'from address'? If not, then set a different 'from address'.
What is the error when the web host tries to send me message?
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

Thank you for the reply and guidance.

Yes, I did read the PHP version comparability document. A s consequence I set the StableHost version to 8.1.

I just changed the version to 7.4. When tested, the error message was the same, 'Oops! Error'. That is the error message that I wrote.

Does the response to https://dnschecker.org/#MX/sbcglobal.net in the reply to my query to StableHost have any relationship to this problem? HI have no idea what it means.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Note that this has nothing to do with PHP compatibility or the DNS configuration. Unless this is a requirement of the server.
Usually (99.99%), when emails are not send it is related to the configuration of PHP Mailer.

There is a checklist in the FAQ "Emails are not arriving in my inbox..."
viewtopic.php?t=32967

if you need further assistance then please provide the PHP error log. as mentioned in the 'very important note' in the FAQ.
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

It took most of today to get information from StableHost, but here is the transcript (so far) of the chat:
We are currently running with low staff due to holidays. Please be patient since our response times could be a bit longer than usual.
How do I set the path to PHP log
You’ll get replies here and in your email:
✉️ s.molnar@sbcglobal.net
Our usual reply time
🕒 under 4 minutes
In the meantime, these articles might help:
StableHost Assistant profile

How do I switch to another PHP version?

How do I parse .html files as .php?
I forgot my cPanel Password

More in the Help Center

Vasil profile
Hello Stephen
Can you please be more specific what exactly you want to do
Set the path for the PHP log.
Vasil profile

I have escalated your ticket to our senior admin to investigate further with your issue, they will assist you very soon regarding this.
Please note that, they may take some time to respond to your ticket or chat, meanwhile your patience and understanding will highly appreciated.
Thank you !!
OK
Hello Stephen Molnar
S
Can you please let me know exactly what you wish to accomplish?
S
I have not received a response from you for some time and will need to end this session. If you need further assistance, please log back in to Live Chat. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you.
Help Satyam understand how they’re doing:
StableHost Assistant profile
Rate your conversation
Terrible
Bad
OK
Great
Amazing
I need access to the php log. How do I set the path?
Bhushan profile
HEllo,
Please let me know the domain name in a question
Unfortunately, I had to leave the conversation.
I need access to the php error log. I selected that o;option and it was set ,with the message it wold be output to the screen. That didn't happen. How do I set the path to the php error log?
test.insilicochemistry.net
ok. Please confirm your domain name for which you want to see the logs so that I can check with this
ok.
Bhushan profile
Please allow me some moments
test.insilicochemistry.net I would also like to be able to access the php error log for the parent domain: insilicochemistry.net
Bhushan profile
as I can see you have configured the file "error.html" file in order to report the errors. you can check this file for errors
"
Unfortunately, the error.log is empty!???
I just checked.
Bhushan profile
Please check error.html
html.error is configured for the reader to be informer that there was an error , go back to the Contact page (feedback.html),. correct the error and resubmit.
Bhushan profile
Please let me know the email address you have used to configured for contact form
Mine: s.molnar@sbcglobal.net
feedback.php
I just sent you the fedback.php
Here is the feedback.css file
feedback.css
Bhushan profile
As I can check the issue is related to developing end. not from the server.
You need to check with your developer in order to get this fix

I'm not sure if this is useful, on not, but that's it so far.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I'm not sure if this is useful, on not, but that's it so far
Sorry but nothing is actually useful....
As I can check the issue is related to developing end. not from the server.
You need to check with your developer in order to get this fix
To answer this this is your host simply telling you they don't have a clue and passing the buck back to you and saying the fault is with the software/code (developer) which in 99.99% of the time is untrue. This can be seen by there answer about the error.html which has nothing what so ever to do with the error_log of the php on the server. The error.html is simply for use with the form in WB and only is used if the form isn't submitted correctly..
How do I switch to another PHP version?
A question solely for your host/server to answer and unrelated to the use of the software. But here is the answer to this
https://support.stablehost.com/en/artic ... hp-version
I forgot my cPanel Password
Contact your host but again here us how to
https://support.stablehost.com/en/artic ... l-password

As your original question is related to email with your host then...
How do I create an e-mail account?
https://support.stablehost.com/en/artic ... il-account
How do I parse .html files as .php?
https://support.stablehost.com/en/artic ... les-as-php

Please note all the references I have provided to your host should have been given by them or a search by yourself as it is really outwith help offered in the forum for hosting issues as it is there responsibility to assist after all it is what you pay them for.
I have contacted StableHost, my hosting service, and AT&T
Reading the above qoute and using AT&T could be your issue as the no longer support sbcglobal.net anymore

From Google using search
is sbcglobal.net still valid
https://www.google.com/search?q=is+sbcg ... s-wiz-serp
"SBCGlobal.net mail is no longer actively supported by AT&T, the company that originally offered the service. This means that users may experience issues with the service that cannot be resolved through customer support, and there is no guarantee that the service will continue to work in the future.13 Mar 2023"

I will let Pablo comment on this when he returns.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

There is a lot of information that has nothing to do with sending emails through a form.

It is important to understand that the email of the form is sent via the webhost server
Normally, this is done via standard PHP mail.
In your case, it looks like you have set up PHP Mailer with SMTP. So, I assume that you received this information from your webhost and that this is valid?

If you are sure this is valid, then something on the server side may be wrong.
The only way to find out what is wrong is by looking at the PHP error log because the server is processing the form.

So, all you will need to ask your web host is 'where do I find the PHP error log'?
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

I have just sent the question to StableHost.
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

The problem has been solved.

I was checking your code and seems that there was a missing variable that was avoiding to show the error on your script.

I have corrected this and now the error is showing up:

Oops! Error: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

This is related to a bad password or wrong parameters given to php mailer.

I have also saw this question:

So, all you will need to ask your web host is 'where do I find the PHP error log'? <== THE QUESTION!!!

The error log can be fond at the root folder of the php script used.

On this case, the error log is located at /test.insilicochemistry.net/error_log

Let me know if that help you solving your issue.

Best Regards,

Carlos

StableHost

Thank you all for your expertise and patience in solving the problem.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

What did you change in the code?
Couldn't you do this via the properties?
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

Sorry. i forgot:

Here's the error message, from the corrected file:

[31-May-2023 20:10:51 GMT] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'SMTP' not found in /home/wkagumok/test.insilicochemistry.net/feedback.php:29
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
thrown in /home/wkagumok/test.insilicochemistry.net/feedback.php on line 29
[31-May-2023 20:11:34 GMT] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'SMTP' not found in /home/wkagumok/test.insilicochemistry.net/feedback.php:29
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
[31-May-2023 20:11:41 GMT] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'SMTP' not found in /home/wkagumok/test.insilicochemistry.net/feedback.php:29
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This seems to indicate that you did not publish all files.
The files SMTP.php, POP3.php and PHPMailer.php should be published to the same folder.

Also, note that PHP Mailer requires PHP 5.6 or newer.
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

Sorry I didn't back to you sooner. I was out for a bit'

Here are the files in my account:

SMTP.php POP3.php PHPMailer.php
test. X missing X
css missing missing missing

It would appear that I missed a form.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Did you publish all files?
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

Here they are:

in test,insilicochemisry.net: error.html Extension.php feedback.php index.php PHPMailer.php SMTP.php thankyou.html

in the css subdirectory: error.css feedback.css index.css insilicochemistry. css thankyou.css
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

And you still get the same error?
Is the PHP version higher than 5.6?
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

The PHP version is 7.4

I changed the email address I used in the Contact form, but got the same error message: 'Oops; Error'.

Unfortunately, I then realized that I had, rather stupidly, uploaded the compiled file that was not the one that had been edited by you. Rather t,he compilation that had been changed.

Consequently, back where we started. In retrospect, I should have asked which file had been modified?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I am sorry, but I am confused now.
Which modified file do you mean?
You should not have to modified any files!.

However, it is important tat I know what the exact error to be able to help you find out which setting in your form are incorrect.
After uploading files to the server, what is the error message in the PHP error log?

The PHP version is correct.
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

I'm sorry to be so much trouble, I really appreciate you patience.

Here here is the error.log (at least the onethat I was able to find):

[31-May-2023 20:10:51 GMT] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'SMTP' not found in /home/wkagumok/test.insilicochemistry.net/feedback.php:29
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
[31-May-2023 20:11:34 GMT] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'SMTP' not found in /home/wkagumok/test.insilicochemistry.net/feedback.php:29
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
[31-May-2023 20:11:41 GMT] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'SMTP' not found in /home/wkagumok/test.insilicochemistry.net/feedback.php:29
Stack trace:
#0 {main}

My conclusion, in great part, s that I don't know just which forms have to be filled out for the Contact form. The reference documents that I have been able to find are either not applicable or a bit out of date.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

It looks like the same log as the previous one. Are you sure this has the most recent info?
Based on the log it looks like there are no recent errors. So, that means the form works technically. But there may still be an issue in the configuration which prevent the server from sending emails.

Can you please add the error message (##error##) to the error page?

See also the FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32967
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

Sorry not to respond before this.

It turns out there were problems with my hosting service account. After multiple exchange with their tech support, the problems have been resolved'.

I have uploaded the revised code to my Dropbox account.

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/w19onfdh ... 1yd2pyzx4v

when you access: https://test.insilicochemistry.net You will seethe error message'.
i hope this may resolve the confusion.
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

Please make the URL: jhttps://insilicochemistr.net

Not http://test.insilicochemistry.net
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The page no longer works. Please rename the page to "index.html"

Also, did you add the error code as requested? I do not see it on the error page.
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

https://insilicochemistry.net returns the statement "Oops! Error: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate."

Where does ##error## go on the error page?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Are you sure the SMTP settings are correct?
I don't think you would not get this error is it was setup correct.
Please see the FAQ.

In my opinion, your setting are incorrect. Please double check the SMTP configuration.
Note tat only your web host can confirm these settings are correct. Everything else in your form is correct.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Please see the FAQ.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32967
How do I display the error message on the error page?
Insert a text object to the page.
Enter this text somewhere in the text ##error##
The form processor will replace it will the actual error message.
stephenmolnar

Post by stephenmolnar »

Hear is the latest in this problem from my hosting service:

The PHP script is working as expected, the issue is that it is not doing what you really expect.

I saw that the "Subject or Message" field was excluded from the web form and that is causing the message body to be ignored on contact.php:

We need to include the textarea into the form and make sure its position will remain, so I made the changes to make sure it will look fine:

You can reach the fixed file here: http://test.insilicochemistry.net/contact2.php

This contact form is going to a new email address that I have created for testing purposes, websiteform@insilicochemistry.net.

This is the email you get when you send a form via contact2.php:

Please take this file as an example to keep going with your project.

Take in mind that this is merely an HTML code matter and the support on this area is limited at our side since we are web hosting providers and not web developers.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Carlos

StableHost