Page 1 of 1

How do I know what to delete in a layout grid

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 8:15 pm
by alan_sh
Let's imagine I have a layout grid with 4 columns. I have an object (text or button or something( in columns 1, 3 and 4.

I want to delete column 2. So, I go into the properties of the layout grid and select column 2 and "remove" it. I go back and find that I have also lost some of my objects. So a Ctrl-Z to undo the delete is necessary to get my objects back.

So, is there a way of doing this so I don't lose the objects in other columns?

If you want to try it, here's a wbs file with a 4 column layout grid with data in cols 1, 3 and 4. Tell me how I can lose column 2 without losing some data.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/cx460nus ... 5mq76&dl=0

cheers

Alan

Re: How do I know what to delete in a layout grid

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 8:54 pm
by Pablo
When you remove a column via the properties dialog, then you are only changing the structure of the grid. The objects are not automatically reassigned to different columns.
In this case, the objects still exists on the page, but they are not associated with any column, because the structure has changed.

If you use the Layout Grid tools on the ribbon, then the command is directly executed on the page structure and in that case objects are reassigned.

Image

Re: How do I know what to delete in a layout grid

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:41 am
by alan_sh
Thank you. I thought "Delete" from the top menu would delete the whole object so I never thought to try it.

Cheers

Alan