LayoutGrid Subdivision Background Colour

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
ChalkyW64

LayoutGrid Subdivision Background Colour

Post by ChalkyW64 »

I am having problems formatting the background colour for subdivisions of a LayoutGrid.

1) I create a LayoutGrid and set its background colour to 'black' (to match the background colour of its page)
2) I subdivide the LayoutGrid into 2 sections (9-3)
3) I select each subdivision and set its background to 'solid' and its colour to a shade of blue (via its 'style' dialog)
4) WB18 subsequently displays the LayoutGrid with 2 subdivisions each having a blue background as shown below:

5) However, when previewed in a browser, subdivisions which contain no objects (or whose objects are smaller than their neighbours') have a black background, as shown below:

Is this an error on my part or an issue with the software?

As an aside: it would be nice if 'subdivisions' inherited the background (etc.) settings from the right-most existing section - this would save having to change each one individually after they have been added, as the 1st would be automatically copied to the 2nd upon its creation, which would then be copied to the 3rd etc...
crispy68

Re: LayoutGrid Subdivision Background Colour

Post by crispy68 »

I'm confused. If you want the background to be blue behind the text and image, why not just set the entire background of the layout grid to be blue? The way it is set up you will never see the black background anyway.

The solution to you query is simply to change the grid system of the layout grid to flexbox.
As an aside: it would be nice if 'subdivisions' inherited the background (etc.) settings from the right-most existing section - this would save having to change each one individually after they have been added, as the 1st would be automatically copied to the 2nd upon its creation, which would then be copied to the 3rd etc...
This is only handy if I want each section to have the same color. If I don't want it to be the same color then it is not handy.
ChalkyW64

Post by ChalkyW64 »

Hi crispy68 - thanks for responding - much appreciated.
crispy68 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:17 pm I'm confused. If you want the background to be blue behind the text and image, why not just set the entire background of the layout grid to be blue?
I tried that initially - but the blue extended all the way across the browser window, and I only want it in the (centred) page area.
crispy68 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:17 pm The way it is set up you will never see the black background anyway.
Not sure I understand what you mean by that, as the way it is set up (assuming you are referring to the way I have configured it?) I do see the black background...
crispy68 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:17 pm The solution to you query is simply to change the grid system of the layout grid to flexbox.
Fantastic - thank you (though I'm not sure how I could have found that out without your help - I did spend a considerable amount of time online looking for a solution before posting on here)!
crispy68 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:17 pm
As an aside: it would be nice if 'subdivisions' inherited the background (etc.) settings from the right-most existing section... [snip]
This is only handy if I want each section to have the same color. If I don't want it to be the same color then it is not handy.
It goes without saying that your comment is very true - but a 'clone style' checkbox next to the Add [column] button would give users who do want such functionality the choice (I am guessing that newly created columns inherit the LayoutGrid's style at the moment anyway?).
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

Not sure I understand what you mean by that, as the way it is set up (assuming you are referring to the way I have configured it?) I do see the black background...
By default, a layout grid spans the entire width of the browser so you will always see the background of the grid (not of the page) unless the background of the layout grid is set to transparent. You didn't specify whether you were using the max-width option in the grid. I assume you are to limit the width of the columns as this would allow you to see the background of the page on the right and left?
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

To prevent the grid from going all the way across the screen set the max width to a negative number - such as -1024.
ChalkyW64

Post by ChalkyW64 »

crispy68 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:59 pm By default, a layout grid spans the entire width of the browser so you will always see the background of the grid (not of the page) unless the background of the layout grid is set to transparent. You didn't specify whether you were using the max-width option in the grid. I assume you are to limit the width of the columns as this would allow you to see the background of the page on the right and left?
Ah - now I get it. Yes - your assumption is correct.
bkjohns wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:20 pm To prevent the grid from going all the way across the screen set the max width to a negative number - such as -1024.
Brilliant - thank you!